don't click here

My PC is hot

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by LukyHRE, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Good lord. That's a LOT. Mine idles at 30º, 100% at 45º and Im Oc'ed to 2.8ghz (Default 1.6ghz).

I'd recommend you getting a CPU cooler RIGHT now.

2. ccat

ccat

Technically you're wearing out the parts much quicker with lousy cooling. My rule of thumb is to keep the CPU at most 40C, not a degree more. By the way, laws of physics say that the lower temperature, the better efficiency of a conductor is - so generally, overheating is also downclocking your computer. (look at that old 2000 video and you'll see that the Pentium 4 worked like a godawful PII on prozac when the heatsink was removed)

3. SwissCM

SwissCM

Yeah what ccat said is stupid and you shouldn't listen to him.

If everything is stable, the parts should last long enough, around 8 years or so. By that point you'll be needing to upgrade anyway
    That is hilariously stupid. Most modern CPUs can handle temps of up to 75c just fine (not a universal rule), sometimes more. Generally overvolting is what kills CPUs.
    The reason why the P4 slowed down when the HSF was removed is because it had hardware that detected if it was becoming too hot and lowered the frequency accordingly. The "efficiency" you're talking about is power usage and heat output, not speed.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I was reading the topic and all but when I saw this...

[​IMG]

lol

I forgot all I read XD.

Anyway!

When my laptop is hot, I grab the fan we use on the living rom, and I turn it on the max, and put below the laptop... instant cool!

5. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Fuck, didn't notice the bump...

My card has a fan, but a very little one. I'll try running the diags that Meat Miracle said, and see what happens...

That was awesome XD
    Yeah, that's what I do: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/Luc...633227_6643.jpg
    Every time I run a game, I turn on it at max. If I don't do it, the PC shuts down -.-

Well, I'm going to try those diagnostics, thanks for the tip (and for the bump)
    EDIT: I runned Prime95. The CPU started to heat up 2º for every 4 seconds, until it reached 80ºc and shutted down. I didn't bother running the video card's diags, though, I think the cpu is the problem =/