don't click here

My PC is hot

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by LukyHRE, Jan 14, 2010.

1. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I got this problem since months ago, and it does nothing but to get worse.

My PC shuts down itself because of overheating. And yes, I cleaned it, oiled every cooler, formatted, and even putted a standard fan near it: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/Luc...633227_6643.jpg
    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/Luc...633227_6643.jpg

The overheating started out of nowhere. I was playing NFS:MW like everyday, and then, black screen. Cleaning did the trick, but a month later it begun to get heat again. The only solution that worked was that fan: when NFS was running the temp was at 45º, instead of 70º when there was no fan.

Now, I formatted the PC for another issue, and I had to install the Realtek drivers in Secure mode. Windows started, and it didn't last for 40 seconds before it shut down... :argh:

The PC is a DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, the Brisbane one, with a GeForce 8600gt. Every cooler is stock, and the PSU is 500w. I'm in normal mode now, with the Firefox and the MSN running, and the temp are:
    According to Everest: Core 1: 28ºC Core 2: 27ºC
    According to Hardware Monitor (a generic program to read temps): CPU: 47º
    :psyduck:

Anybody have ideas? The PC is still in the place where the photos show, and the ambient temp here is 32º. The PC, since I bought it, 1 year ago, is turned on nearly 12 hours a day, and a little more now that I'm on vacation.

2. Check if the cooling paste dried out.

Cheers :)

3. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I putted a little 2 months ago, do you think I have to put it again?

4. "a little" is not enough probably.

Check if the heat sink is placed the correct way. Another thing could be that the diodes that measure temparature are broken.

Cheers :)

5. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Checked. There's one only way to place the heat sink, so I think it's not the case. I read somewhere that maybe the sink doesn't make contact with the CPU because is not entirely smooth and flat, it's possible? I'll check later the paste, but I think I putted enough

I suspected about the diodes since I bought it. I had to change the CPU right after I assemble it, because of overheating too (in this case, I couldn't even install Windows). After installing the new CPU everything was fine. Until now, you know. The mother is a Asus M2N-MX. Is there a way to check if the diode is failing?

6. I'd say, ask for a refund. Is it still under warranty?

7. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    My solution would be to get somthing Intel based for starters. (personal grudge with AMD hardware)
    BUT
    You may wanna try using the mobo's failsafe default settings to see if the situation improves any...(Depending on the BIOS of course.... If you can't find the setting, just remove the CMOS battery for 20 mins with the plug out)
    You should also think of posting your question on the overclockers forum

8. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Nah, I bought a Mother-Graphics-CPU kit, 1 year of warranty. It expired 3 months ago...

Believe me that this is the last AMD cpu I'll own. My brother's PC is a AMD too and has a similar issue... -.-

I'll check that, but I didn't change too much things in the bios...
    I forget to point out that the CPU fan is running at 2900-3000 rpm, is this good?

9. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I think my power supply caused that to happen to me some time ago, not even a month after its warranty ended. If you have a spare one kicking around, try using it and see what happens.

10. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Hmm, my PSU is a very generic one (Noganet). When I bought the PC, the PSU was a shitty one (don't remember the watts): 2 months after buying it, and a capacitor exploded. I had to buy a new one, the one I have now...

If I disconnect additional unnecessary things like a second HD and the DVD drives, it might work? (just to see if it's the PSU)

11. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    If it IS the same problem I had, doubt it; it didn't seem to be related to how much power was passed through it, just that power was being passed. I believe my power supply was a 700 or 900 Watts Rocketfish.

12. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Tried it. Secure mode lasted for more, like 2 minutes instead of 40 seconds, but still, it shutted down. I'm searching for cooling paste to check the CPU but I think I have to buy more.

Damn, I just want to kick this useless thing down the downstairs and buy a new one. But this fucking country has everythng overpriced. I seriously want to live in North America :argh:

13. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    We all get fucked over with prices, unfortunately, North America or not. It's not the magic land of all that is good.

14. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    Generic can mean 200-450w these days...most times I only ever need a 350W PSU. Anyting over that can start to seem like overkill IMO.

TRY THIS....
    My current build only needs about 280w

15. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Mine's need 244w. The first PSU I had was 450w, and "exploded". The high use of this PC is a factor, too? I consider that I use it too much, more than 12 hours a day, most of those hours with heavy games running, but, it must be capable of resisting it in my opinion...

Oooorrr.... maybe the PC itself resist it, but not the PSU? =|

16. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
  17. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    That is a lovely video indeed. I'm not gonna lift any heatsinks off my few AMD machines :P

as for the 47C, its not hot at all... 70+ is hot.... my Athlon X2 64 never goes above 30C, and with stock cooler with fan made to run at lowst possible speed in order to kill noise...

18. SwissCM

SwissCM

Haha, you do realise how old that video is right? Ever since AMD released their 64bit processors, power and heat management has been roughly on par with intel. You take the heatsink off one nowadays and it'll just lock the PC and not do any further damage. It helps that all modern AMD processors have a built in heat-spreader rather than a naked die.

AMD processors are just as reliable as Intel and provided they were installed properly they have been since the original Athlon. There are several things that could be wrong with your setup. Heatsink paste may not be properly applied (DO NOT USE TOO MUCH, only enough to just barely cover the surface of the heat-spreader), the HSF may not be properly attached to the motherboard, malfunctioning fan, improper system cooling (put the side of the case on since it helps direct airflow and check the voltage/RPM of the rear exhaust fan) and finally and most importantly:

GET A DECENT POWER SUPPLY

Ever since I started buying higher quality power supplies for my PCs the reliability of them skyrocketed. Make no mistake, the power supply is the most important part of the PC and cheap one can slowly kill off your hardware one by one.

19. This is soooo old ass! AMD CPUs do have protections nowadays and if you're too stupid to put a HEATSINK on top of a CPU, then you don't BUILD A PC yourself.

Cheers.

20. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    XD

Yup, the temp is nice, but with Halo 2 and even Homeworld it goes to 70º and beyond. Without the big fan I can't play it.

How the fuck, then? This is confusing me. The ambient temperature is 33ºc most of the times, we are in summer, but does it influences too much?

Edit: oh oh, I see, you're in Estonia, it must be damn cold there.

It's perfectly installed. I put enough paste (not too much, and no too little) 1-2 months ago. And yes, I'm starting to distrust that PSU, really. And by the way, how does the PSU affect the CPU temperature? Is there a way to see if my PSU is shit, or I have to buy a new one, directly?

Thanks for all the tips, really :)