don't click here

My new hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by SGR, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    You can't Time Travel in stages! Either way, good hack so far. It's random, but there are Specific Levels with Past, Good Future, Or Bad Future. Still working on it, but It looks pretty neat.

Attached Files:

2. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    So, what do you guys think?

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

well that pallete looks nice but that's all I can say since I don't have the actual game.

4. Ted

Ted

The Original Forum Gay Member
    Looks like a REALLY OLD screenshot.. Like a scan from an old book.. I don't know what else is happening in the hack though.

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Nice palette, looks similar to a palette hack I'm doing too. :E

EDIT: Looks like waterfalls in the background before another water surface, and then the EHZ maize. If that uses the rotating water palette, that'll look pretty cool.

6. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    It does use the rotating pallette, and for the crappy quality, I used .gif, I should've use .jpg, so sorry about that. Mainly EHZ is the one that's closest to completion.

7. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    NO.

What's stopping you from using GIF? GIFs support up to 256 colours. JPGs are only for photographs, never spritework.

Are you using Paint? If so don't, it's poisonous.

8. Kles

Kles

I object to Quick Man. JPG's in paint work rather nicely for anything not containing text. GIF's cause a shitty grain effect. Use JPG's in paint. Use GIF's if you have a pro program.

9. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    GIFs only cause that grain effect due to the paint package reducing the color depth to 256 colors by dithering. If you manually decrease color depth, using the 'nearest color match' option, and using an 'optimised palette', you won't get that dithering effect. Genesis screenshots are rarely more than 64 colors, so should easily fit within the 256-color limit of GIF files without requiring dithering.

10. Skaarg

Skaarg

Or even better yet IMO, just use .png I find that to be the best quality for any work I do or screenshots of a game wether its in paint, photoshop, or paintshop pro.

11. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    How can they be anything more than 64 colours? The Genesis hardware can't support more than 64 colours total (four palettes of 16 colours each).

12. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    unless Fast Blur is on, with which you can get masses of colors ;)

13. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    That can't be a hardware-implemented mode. The VDP won't allow it, full stop.

14. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Um...JPGs are grainy and add pixels randomly. .GIFs I never use. .BMPs aren't allowed because they are usualy too big. .PNGs are awesome. Nuff said?

15. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Hey, I know I need photoshop badly. =P

16. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    Certainly not. I recall reading that some browsers still have problems with PNG, and PNG filesizes can still be pretty big.

17. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    It doesn't matter what you use. As long as you give us a decent enough picture to understand what it looks like. So post however you think it should look like.

As for the picture of your hack, it looks pretty good for the lighter textures of the bricks. I'd like to see how this turns out, with the time travel idea.

18. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    Also what about the modes where it switches the palette between scanlines? (e.g. water levels in Sonic). That effectively gives it another 64 colors, so in theory you could have 128 colors in the screenshot. Most palette-switching games don't use this many colors though, and even if they did it would still be within the 256-color limit of GIFs.

19. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    That's software implemented.

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Since it does that by switching between scanlines it means that all the colors the genesis has to choose from are different. That doesn't miraculously give the genesis another 64 colors. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.