My first Hacking Project

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Trujin, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trujin

Trujin

The Bad Seed. Member
    I have been looking around the Sonic Development Community for just under a year now and I am now taking myself into action. I am completly new to the technical side of sonic gaming. And have read bits of Hacking tutorials etc.

My project is entitled 'Sonic 2 Alpha'. When I first set sight on this community. I noticed alot of screens on s2b which were mock-ups. The Dust Hill mock-up as you may know is featured in quite a number of hacks. But I'd like to see the others in action. I plan just to make it as apealling as the earlier prototypes would be. But from the exception that the levels will be complete of course.

I've started working on my project, and I just wanted to notify you of my work. I am previously working on Green Hill Zone. I am using the Beta version of Sonic 2 to work with. Here is a preview of green hill so far.
    [​IMG]

I know there are still afew differences but I'm very unexperienced at the moment and I will improve it as my knowledge progresses. Also, v.05 will be released when I'm half satisfied with Green Hill. This version will include.
    - Star Light Zones Music Track
    - Similarities to the Magazine Mock-up previews and prototype shots.
    - Similarities from the Nick Arcades Sonic 2 prototype.

Any recomendations are more than welcome.

2. NemUK

NemUK

Probably lurkin'. Member
    Hey.

If you want to do this sort of stuff then I would reccomend using eseii or esev2.40 to edit the levels, title cards etc.. and hex workshop or xvi32 for the bits that ese cant do. You might have a bit of trouble finishing dust hill because I cant find the graphics for it in the rom! it may also take a long time because sega deleted all the programming for all the scrapped levels that made it to the BETA. and I don't think dust hill was even added to the cart at the time.

Good Luck. :D Happy Hacking!

3. Trujin

Trujin

The Bad Seed. Member
    I am quite experienced with pixel art so I think I can make the basic dust hill.

Also I'm sorry for the attached file. It won't work with the actual screen. I've tried .bmp .png .jpeg. Does anyone know of a free image server since this board will not allow my photobucket account.

4. EternalBlade

EternalBlade

Living is good. Starting on my hacking skills.
    Dust hill was in to the Sonic 2 beta cart that we have. It's Mystic Cave. But yes, you're right, Sonic Team deleted nearly all of the art. Hidden Palace zone is still in the final, but with no graphics. You can read about it here.

I think I only have 2 posts left to prove myself. Better make them great!

EDIT: Try tinypic.com. They should be alright.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    A newbie with common sense!! THERE IS A GOD!

6. NemUK

NemUK

Probably lurkin'. Member
    I did know it was there.

im just saying the graphics for dust hill werent

Attached Files:

• dh1.JPG
      dh1.JPG
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Trujin

Trujin

The Bad Seed. Member
    Its quite obvious, not all of us newbies are completly bone idle you know.

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Don't give him too much credits. I don't think he is a newbie. he claims to know stuff, and by that he has been around. Probably some banned guy from the past. Watch out

9. G3K

G3K

Internet needs more petrol Member
    Airdrie, Scotland
    Alphabet successfully learned, now working on numbers 1-10
    Give him a little slack, LOst - granted, when I first joined, my early posts went something along the lines of "OGMF I HAVE DER NEW BAYTAH VERSION?! DFGD;" when it was actually the Omega hack (I'm still kicking myself :P)

Needless to say, just because someone is new and knows their arse from their elbow doesn't necessarily mean they're some ghost from internet past back to wreak havoc.

10. Quickman

Quickman

Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The graphics WERE there. You can select the option and see them yourself.

DustHillZone == *MysticCaveZone;

11. Quickman

Quickman

Tech Member
    omg porjcet
    I'll give benefit of the doubt - LOst's point is wellfounded, but I won't give up the possibility of intelligent newbies. If XinuX joined now, what would he say (apart from "jolly good </Britishness>")?

12. Kles

Kles

Well, this topic sort of derailed, I think "newbies with knowledge" shouldn't be put so harshly under the microscope, I understand in the past you've had quite a few embarrasing moments but all I'm saying is to keep your suspicions to yourself, and if they really are the horrible people that got them banned in the first place, their true colours will shine sometime, no?

As for getting this thread going back on topic, welcome to the boards, Dr Lazo! To answer your question: www.imageshack.us is great free hosting for images.

13. EternalBlade

EternalBlade

Living is good. Starting on my hacking skills.
    Mmmkay, to tell all of you:

I believe I have been on this board before, as Chao65 or something, before the huge cleanout. I really wasn't much help. I decided to come back a few weeks ago, to find that everything had changed. It wasn't bad, I quite the like the anti-turd policy thanks to all the retards on Gaia.

I saw that people who were stupid got flamed and banned. So, I read up on things on the site, went to Sonic Cult, etc, and I'm now starting on a hack (In conjunction with Hex_the_hedgehog).

Oh, and G3K? For my first account, my first post was 'I think I have Sonic 2 Alpha, but the levels don't work, and I have no hacking skills, so I can't fix it'. You think you're kicking yourself?

Edit:
    What stuff? I can't remember.

14. Trujin

Trujin

The Bad Seed. Member
    Thank you, I've have a screen up shortly.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    No, ESE is possibly the worst program to use on a hack. Why? Because when you open your ROM with ESE, it relocates and adds a shit load of data. Also, when you hack with ESE, you aren't learning anything technical about how the game works, it's just point and click.

Learn how to do everything in hex, it's the best way to go.

16. Quickman

Quickman

Tech Member
    omg porjcet
    THEN you can use a point-and-click interface because you understand how it works.

17. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    ESE is fine, but you should manually transfer data from an ESE-edited ROM to your hack.

18. SonKnuck Jr.

SonKnuck Jr.

1F Y0U C4N R34D TH15, Y0U R34llY N33D 2 G37 L41D! Member
    Tha Durrtay-Durrtay
    Sonic Jr. -Hold-
    I Agree,BUT ESE does a lot of shit by relocating,migrating, the levels into places that just take up to much damn space. What you need to do is go to nemesis's site(homepages.ihug.com.au/~nemisis2k2) look at his guide, then go to SSRG(ssrg.shadowsoft-games.com) and look at their tutorials. Then,after all that is all done with copy the current version of your ROM-commonly called backin' it up- and fool around to see what works and what doesn't, it worked with me. Plus, it shows you stuff that you may've not known.

P.s. Has anybody played my hack, later I will port levels and so on, so suggestions please(if any)
    (|)
    (|)
    (|)
    (|)
    \|/

19. NemUK

NemUK

Probably lurkin'. Member
    as for all you that think ese is bad, I don't agree with you. it may add loads of data that you don't need. but it helps when youre a begginer (just like me and 95% of all n00bs). It helps with level editing and pallete hacking.

And if the dust hill graphics really are there, can you tell me how to get it. I've been trying to find them for about a month or two!

as for hex. hex is quite complicated and it requires bucket-loads of time to actually learn what is actually happening, I don't have a lot of time at the moment.

I do use hex but only 10% of my work IS hex. Otherwise I use, as many begginers do, ESE.

20. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    The desert level has no official Sega graphics apart from the mock-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.