My first attempt with SonED

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by nineko, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    I wasn't sure if I should post this or not, because I didn't want to sound like a turd... but a few days ago I downloaded SonED and I'm trying to do something with it.

Here is my first attempt to make a new level layout: http://rapidshare.de/files/33217512/test.rar.html
    I will be happy to receive comments and feedback, to know if I'm on the right way or if I'm doing it wrong.

Once I'm done with layout editing, I also want to try some serious hacking work; but since I want to do a step per time, here is what I have got for now: a brand new Emerald Hill Zone, act 1. Enjoy.

Edit:
    One more precisation word. My goal while I was drawing this layout was to create a level that isn't too hard to beat, but also included some hard sections in it, especially to get to alternate paths just like it happens in the real EHZ1. So I think that everyone here can beat this level at their first try, but I'm also sure that exploring all the areas in this stage can be quite interesting. As I said, there are different paths in this level, and most of the times you won't be able to get to a path if you failed a jump or something. I hope this is a good thing :)

Edit2:
    I know that the palette sucks, and I'm going to work on it.
    Any comments/feedback on the layout? Editing the palette (even reverting it to the original one) is a work of 5 minutes, while creating a concept for a level is much harder... did I accomplish that goal at least?

2. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Ok, I tried it out and I have to say its decent for a first try.

First, the palette is a little on the bad side, you'll have work on it some more.

Second:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if the robots were supposed to be like that, but if not, its a simple fix. :P

Third: The tiles and object layouts need work, The level layout is good but some of the tiles do not connect right or end a path right. Most of the objects are ok, but some are are flying. (the bridges)

Overall decent for a first try, but needs some work. :D

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Just advice, post screenshots, cos people (Like me) won't download it just to have a look at it... that's all... hopfully your hack goes well!

4. nineko

nineko

Alright...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, thanks to SMTP for his feedback.
    As soon as I get more replies, I'm going to work more on this for sure :)

5. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Sorry but the pallete is bad on the eyes, but hey it's your first attempt, another bit of advice, make the pallette blend in with each other, so have colours that are the same, for example, A dark green, a normal green, a lighter green.

6. Oh my... *eyes bleed*

That pallete needs major fixing dude, it's borderline seizure inducing.

7. Nicholas Onimura

Nicholas Onimura

Lurker Member
    :shocked: OW, MY FUCKING EYES. *eyes start bleeding*

You should ease up on those palettes, man.

8. nineko

nineko

Oooooooooook, I'm so going to edit the palette soon :D

Any comments about the layout? I almost knew that the palette sucks... my main wish for feedback was to know if the level is too hard/too easy, and so on. I think it's pretty playable...

9. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, the layout pretty decent with plenty of paths. The only problem I had with it was using a row of rings to trick me into jumping to my death.. =P

10. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Even you got it to work. Looks nice! I'm still trying to get mine working.

11. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    EDIT: N/M

12. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    My eyes have just about recovered from the burning they got from your Emerald Hill Zone Palette! my god I needed extra Sunglasses for that.

DJ

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    ...okay, I think we all get his pallete sucks. Let's comment on other things, hmm?

14. Vangar

Vangar

Nice work for your first try :D.

15. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Hint: Don't put rings down a bottomless pit.

16. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Ah yes, I forgot to mention that.. =P

17. nineko

nineko

I thought it was a nice trap

18. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, but it can be frustrating. =P