don't click here

My FIRST asm hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by SoullessSentinel, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This hack adds an exploration Element to Sonic 1
    - The end of the Level is NOT at the end, its an 'S' monitor hidden within the levels (GHZ only at the minute) also, I have added SRAM support, you start at the level you was on at the time you stopped playing, every time you play. Game Saves during Title Card Display.
    When finished this hack will feature NEW level layouts, and palletes for all levels.

Please tell me what you think.

Download HERE

Credits:
    Hivebrain for the 2005 Dissassembly,
    Stealth for SonED2
    Tweaker and Sonic 65 for Porting the Music to S1 Format

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Wow that's cool, but maybe you should keep focus on the ASM rather than doing palletes and level layouts? A version of Sonic 1 with a savegame and other features without anything else changed is cool ^^

3. Glad you like it, Since you say it will be good without a new pallete and level layout, I'll only change Object Placement.

Can anyone test this on Hardware please

4. IcePak

IcePak

Check some of the walls or collisions in the levels, because in some places where there used to be a solid wall, Sonic now falls through them. And sometimes certain objects don't show up. For example, the bridge at the start of GHZ.

I like the save feature, and hunting for the S-monitors though. It's nice to have something different added to a Sonic game, even if it does make it too easy.

5. Strange, I never touched collisions, I will try and fix for another release.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    ... very nice. And a bloody nice choice for the invincibility music too, that caught me off-guard!

7. I've fixed the bridge bug, I will wait untill I've placed the 'S' Monitor in every level, before I release another version.

8. Shade

Shade

I like the idea behind the exploration element. Very fresh and original. With that said, I do have a few bits of constructive criticism to extend towards you. The title screen appears just the slightest bit bland. I saw the japanese characters towards the top, and that is indeed a nice touch, but the plain blue background leaves a little to be desired. It just doesn't give an "oomph" to the initial opening of the game.

Also, and this might just be me, but the palette you've got going on in Grey Hill Zone is a tad hard on the eyes. The blue parts appear a bit too bright. You've pretty much nailed the grey parts of it, though perhaps parts of it are a bit too bright as well. Taken as a whole, it's just not incredibly easy on the eyes while running through the zone, which I myself believe to be very important in a hack. A level must be pleasing to the eye or the player will lose much of their interest in playing soon after. If you ever decide you want to touch that particular palette up, then there's my two cents.

Otherwise, pretty solid work for a start. I applaud your gameplay ideas. Just a few areas in the aesthetics department (namely the palette) were the only issues for me. Good luck, and keep up the good work.

9. the Title Screen is the way it is because of a bug in the sram system. I disabled the loading of the GHZ tiles, because the gfx was corrupted. I will fix in a later version

10. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Bad news, it doesn't even boot on a real Genesis, all I get is a black screen. I suspect it may be your SRAM code, as I experienced the same issue with StephenUK's Project Chaos, and when he removed the SRAM code, it started working. I recommend you inspect how other games use the SRAM and try to emulate their code.

11. The two bugs,objects dissappearing, and collision, are NOT fixed, and It's not a bug in my ASM code, it happens with Hivebrains 2005 Disasm if you place an 'S' monitor in a level, and compile the rom, even with no asm changes, can someone look into this please, and if possible come up with a solution

12. MrPhysics

MrPhysics

Non "oldbie" oldbie Member
    Ogden
    Fractal Art
    I like this Idea alot. You may alreay know this and im not sure if anyone else noticed, but if you actually go all the way to the end of the level you get stuck there. Is it possible to make the level loop once you get to the end? That would make this type of gameplay work alot better in my opinion, but im not even sure if this is possible, worth a shot though.

13. I know, but you have to remember, this is my FIRST asm hack, and im a beginner in asm- I just started this as a result of boredom, and in the hope that I will learn a lot more about asm. I have plenty of time to learn though, I'm only 14. and about looping the level, I'll have to look into it.

14. ;) Love it!!! :evil:

15. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=5561

16. Stealth, That link doesn't work, It sais "You do not have permission to view this topic" Is that a forum for full members only?

17. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Uhh... I guess so. I don't think I ever realized that, but it would explain why you (and probably other people) never saw it. Somebody else was having the same(?) problem as you, with the most important part of that thread being:

I wonder if I should put that somewhere more clear. The topic "Objects Disappearing!" was good enough, but I don't think people will come looking for the solution to their problem in an info thread about another hack (Rather than a help request)

I'm sorry I had to be the reason for you to waste a couple of posts, and I hope you don't think less of me. I was very happy that you mentioned me, like I am every time I see people posting screenshots of SonED when showing off their level designs and stuff :P

18. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
  19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Because you are a trial member. You are not really supported to go from zero to hero, hehe. You have tech knowledge.

20. Object bug fixed thanks to stealth- and the title screen bug also fixed. I'm at school now, I will upload the fixed version when I get home

I will edit this post then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.