My 100th Life.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Hayate, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Each time I complete an act 2, it resets to 99. I wonder what the 200th life would look like.

Attached Files:

2. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    You're using the debug code, aren't you? I've pulled off the 100 lives thing in Sonic 2 a long time ago, but it was while using the Debug code.

3. NickW

NickW

It probably resets to 99 becuase the game doesn't correctly display lives greater than 99, becuase in that shot, the lives says "00", but it should have a 1 in front of it.

4. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Actually, the first 0 is messed up because the lives` counter wasn`t set to stop, unlike the score counter. I believe that on the old S2B site, Simon had a picture of this from either ICEKnight or Nemesis. It was from the Sonic 2 Beta. The 0 sprite isn`t the same one as the normal 0 sprite. The game goes crazy and takes sprites from other places.

5. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    its possible to get a maximum of 99 lives in each save slot in S3K (all my games have :D) its just a case of plodding through the levels getting lives.

6. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Yeah, I know, just forgot to mention that. I was talking about Sonic 2 at the time, since that one doesn't have saves, and would be physically impossible to do while just playing through the game.

7. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    No. I just activated the "Keep rings throughout levels" and "Always keep shields" codes, so I get a hell of a lot of rings, and therefore a hell of a lot of lives. :D

No - I think it works with the number graphics stored in consecutive locations in the ROM, going (style 1) 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 (style 2) 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9, and then something else. Since SEGA/Sonic Team never thought of having more than 99 lives, they didn't bother with "carrying the one" from the 10s column. So the 10s column actually doesn't have a limit that would create a digit in the 100s. This makes it go to the next piece of graphics available in the ROM, which happens to be the 0 of the second style. :P

8. Quickman

Quickman

Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Like the Gameboy's "99 + 1 = blank-0" a la Missingno..

9. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    That would more likely be "99 + 1 = blank-0".

10. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Haha. Missingno. is my favorite "Pokemon", despite him being a fuck up. I have a knack for major glitches like that.

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Texas
    lol
    I got a glitch like that once. But, like Mystical Ninja said, it was in Sonic 2, in Chemical Plant Zone.

12. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    this was done by speeding up genesyst, look at the mega score too :P

(im sure everyone knows the Launch Base Zone trick)

Attached Files:

13. Irondude

Irondude

I need some doggone help! Misfit
    I think anyone can do that outside Launch Base Zone O_o

14. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    I've done this before too, on Sonic and Knuckles Collection. It was a long time ago, but I think that I had decided that I was going to get 100 lives or die trying... well, I did get 100 lives after several days (as Knuckles) and that exact same thing happened! I thought it was a bit wierd, but let it go (I hadn't joined any message boards at the time). Also, did you notice that the first 0 in the lives counter is actually the debug mode 0?

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    wouldn't you like to know
    Super Guitar Hero II
    What is going on, is that the number of lives causes the code to index further into VRAM than it's supposed to. Notice how the extra numbers look like the debug stats and not the normal lives counter? That's the proof. The rings counter is the same way, load S3, enable debug, then bust an assload of S monitors. And I mean an *assload*. It'll take forever to get to the theoretical maximum of 65535, but after that it should either stop, or wrap back to 0. Watch the ring counter go all to shit in the process. You can do this with S3&K too, but you have to break less monitors at once to keep it from crashing back into S&K (as a side effect, if it *does* crash to S&K, the same cheats will be active, so you can continue with the monitors).

16. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Um... what do you mean by "crashing back to S&K"?

Is that the bug where I totally screwed up HCZ act 1 boss and then it went to the S&K title screen when I finished? :blink:

17. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Yes. If an error occurs, it automatically resets back to the S&K title screen, as if no game was locked on.

18. NickW

NickW

But you still have all the codes you did, like level select and debug mode, although debug mode isn't really possible in Sonic & Knuckles alone.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

staying alert on the beach Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, England
    quipu two metres apart
    Ahh I did that years ago on Sonic Jam. WITHOUT DEBUG CODE

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Yes it is.

I see. I created lots of monitors and smashed them all, but I couldn't move or enter debug mode! Sonic and Tails were still moving though, and so was all the animated stuff on the level. When I pressed Start though, it went to the S&K title screen. That's weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.