don't click here

Music

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rokkan

Rokkan

muteKi, that's fucking awesome. We should definately use it, just add in some more instruments and substitute others and make a mp3 of it.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This might sound familiar to some of you. If it does, it's because it is (check my entries in the VGM thread):

http://www.box.net/shared/zoa7a96n7t

The idea is for this to be menu music.

3. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    This really feels like a Sonic music. Perfect. It is almost a waste to have it only as a menu music (to bad that it is a bit slow-paced for a stage music).
    Also (but it may be only me) this song reminds me of Chaotix (and this is a very good thing. To specify, the part just a little before the middle of the file seems similar to the initial part of Electoria, and I love this!)

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I kinda ripped part of the synth line from there. :\

Honestly this was more me just mucking around with ModPlug with anything but I guess it turned out well for the most part.

5. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Just my two cents: I think it would be easier if we got our hands on playable versions of the levels, even if they are incomplete. That way, we can see how the music will fit both the level and Sonic.

Oh, and yes, muteKI, that is a cool tune.

6. Matwek

Matwek

As nice as that would be we're a long way off having any level even remotely finished

7. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    A platform with a BG and no sceen movement would work fine, Similar to the S2HD Tech Demo=D

8. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member

Pretty funny, although I like the S3D Saturn and S2 special stage songs better seperately. Although it's pretty strange how well they go together as is.

Let's hack the S2HD Tech Demo!
    No, just kidding. I will hopefully have a recording of my music for City Zone Act 1a by the time the weekend is over.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~amkearns/music/stage1.mp3

I'd love to get someone to actually do a guitar solo for those 16 bars with the lame guitar line (chords in that bit are D|F#dim/C|G|A). That is to say, someone create a new solo instead of it, because I don't have a guitar.

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Oh, but I disagree. When the general zone themes are fully established, it makes little sense for the musicians to "wait" for the zones to be finished -- there are certain motifs and styles (Scales, even. For example, the Phrygian scales are a one-size-fits-all easy way to write authentic sounding middle-eastern music) that will definitely suit the zone themes. Some artists (Such as myself) actually work to music. As an example, the art for Scarlet Temple in S-Factor (Which used to be from Pyramid Pyromania Zone in the now-defunct Sonic One) was coming along way too slowly until I had some kickass music to listen to as I did it, and then I could almost 'see' the level in my mind's eye.

muteKi, that tune is pretty nice. Gives me an almost Twinkle Park vibe, I don't know why.

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Sorry, my point was that we can have a basic layout setup: maybe the first few frames; think the demo in the Programming post. I did mention incomplete levels in my original post.

12. Same. I seldom ever sprite background or tiles without fitting music playing.

13. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    lol, I do believe I stated somewhere that these were samples of my work. I'm glad you guys took interest in them though. As far as Sonicy-ness. It's really subjective. To me, the important part of a Sonic track is a defined melody, beat, and a groovy bassline. Besides that the sound, shape, and overall texture of Sonic music has changed drastically over the years.

It might be a good idea to hit a specific game soundtrack style to pivot off, because a lot of my stuff is inadvertently influenced by various Sonic soundtracks, including alot of Hayata's stuff, the Sonic Adventure Albums, and even Sonic Robo Blast 2's soundtrack...

Jingle freaking has a Sonic melody in it you sillies (Red Mountain), the bassline is extremely reminescent of rush, and overall when I was finished I was worried I had strayed too closely to Hunter's own Sonic Nexus theme.

Titlescreen.mp3 was a cross between epic arabic orchestral moving lines, the soundtrack to the 1997 game Dark Reign, and Sonic Unleashed. (My newest stuff freaking abuses the amen break lol)

Tropical Zone was based almost verbatim on Palmtree Panic. I took the voicings, added my own melodies, rhythms, and chords, and went with it the way I felt like.

Amber Forest, eh, I was too with the sentiments that I killed the Sonicy feeling with the intro, but for me those pizzicatto strings, but once the main melody comes in it's fine, if a bit too epic.
    Cavecandidate was quite possible the only track that didn't have any defined influence, which was probably why it failed. I'm more concerned with attempting to create a cave atmosphere while trying to keep it upbeat enough to be sonicy. I don't think by the same terms you would consider Snowy Mountain from Sonic Adventure sonicy.

The last one was heavily based on Michael Jackson's "Scream", so, if MJ really composed Sonic 3 we shouldn't be having any problems lol.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  15. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    Wow that was impressive :D

16. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Yeah, maybe he'd be interested in taking part :(

17. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Agreed. Let's see if he wants to take part.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    http://www.box.net/shared/157zlpn0iz

Special Stage Idea.
    Doesn't break a lot of new ground but does have Bill Clinton wanting you to tell him you love him.

EDIT: And I can't stop fucking listening to it.

19. muteki you magnificent bastard! That shit sounds JUST like Naganuma's work yet somehow more endearing.