don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatoSoft

GatoSoft

Contributor... still novice :P Member
    Hi! :)

SillyJonna is right. You can upload your music file using some type of host like MegaUpload, RapidShare, GigaSize or any other you want. Then, just post here your comment about your song and later you can do like I do: write the word "Download", select it and click the "Insert Link" icon in the post's controls. There, you can paste the link that your file hosting system gives you and finally you can share your art with all of us. :)

Good luck. And if you need to know something more, just send me a PM. ;)
    Sayonara! :lol:

2. Videogamer

Videogamer

3. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    While I like both renditions, the electric guitar synth (...charang?) in the Drowning Countdown is completely unnecessary... I say try a high piano or some strings instead.

4. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

For me, the drowning theme is one that really should be done perfectly. No song in any form of media ever has, nor do I believe ever will, terrify me as much as that one. Still gets me. It's why I'm so fast in Chemical Plant Act 2. I rush myself to avoid it. :P

Agreed with PC2 there, it sounds good apart from that instrument. Builds up well in the background, but the guitar's a little too tinny to me.

5. Videogamer

Videogamer

I know exactly what you mean. I guess, in the back of my mind, I was trying to make it just a teensy less terrifying. I can always change the instrument and see if I get better results. I'll link to it later in this post.

EDIT: Alright, how does this one sound?

6. Sokaris

Sokaris

Here is a man who stood up. Member
    Well the problem is it needs to sounds terrifying, it needs to be desperate. It is a hurry up or you're gonna die tune after all.

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Why not just use the drowning from Sonic Adventure?

This would sound better in the original key.

Also, for some reason I think any mix of Sky Chase needs to have an early 90s boy band style to it. It always sounded like some kind of Boyz II Men track to me. Especially with the bass and drums the original had.

EDIT: Err...someone merge these please. I forgot that fast that I was the last poster.

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Well José's Boss theme is really GREAT!!! :D

The rest is too Synth to my hears :)

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  10. Flappie

Flappie

Paris
    Hi there,

I'd love to bring some piece of my work in the S2HD project. I'm a gamer and a musician, but so far the Sonic 2 soundtrack remakes are just great.
    I'm able to make nice sound FX for the project. I used to make some when I was working on past HL² mods (Caliber, EastWest).

Before I work on it, I'd like to know: are there anything ready in the sound FX side? I haven't seen anything about it yet, but you never know.

11. Flappie

Flappie

Paris
    Here a start: Sonic grabs a ring (v1). Please leave your comments :thumbsup: I'm gonna try a few other sound FX in the meantime.

12. Videogamer

Videogamer

I just want to say that the ring SFX is one of the most familiar staples of the series. Someone hears the Ring SFX and instantly knows where it's from, without looking at the source of sound. So familiar is the sound, in fact, that any imitations are easily recognized as just that - imitations.

That said, let's just use the ring collection sound from the original Sonic 2 game.

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Let's talk about this in the Music topic :thumbsup:

Anyway, we'll be using the highest rate original sounds we can afford to find.
    However since no one applied for the SFX part, meaning the research, ripping and storing, you are welcome :)

14. Endgame

Endgame

Agreed, the one above sounds like it could've come from someone logging into an IM or something!

15. Videogamer

Videogamer

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  17. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    It's the same one as in Sonic Heroes.

Here is a comparison of the three ring sound effects from Sonic 2, Sonic CD and Sonic Heroes.

http://www.zshare.net/download/135124246977b786/

The Sonic Heroes version sounds the best in my opinion.

"dark team" ripped the Sonic 2 & Sonic CD SFX. "Blaze" ripped the Sonic Heroes SFX.

18. Videogamer, that's the right idea as far as the ring sound goes, but a couple things I'm hearing. First, it seems that the attack on the notes is slightly too strong in your version, I think reducing that would help. Second, the timbre is perhaps a bit too bright. Third, the reverb needs to disappear, or at least be strongly gated after the chime ends. I do think the Sonic Heroes sound that Athelstone posted is decent and should be mimicked reasonably well.

As a remark about sound effects in general, I'm all for redoing them, but it's one of those things that is better if it is not re-imagined, so we need to feel confident that we can emulate the originals if we do it. Nobody has yet attempted anything before now, so we should run with it and see what happens.

19. Flappie

Flappie

Paris
    First, I'm sorry about the topic problem. I just thought that sound FX were not part of what I call "music".

I'm a bit surprised by the "let's use the old stuff" thing because, as of now, all has been redone from scratch (graphics, soundtrack). But you all seem to agree on that one, so I'll stick to it.

Indeed, the ring sound we hear in the 15th anniversary video is the Sonic Heroes sound, nice catch! :thumbsup:

The S2 and SCD ring sounds are exactly the same (they each use a different channel, that's all).

In my opinion, the S2 original ring sound is better. To me, the Heroes one seems older than the S2 one ^^
    What do you think?

20. Endgame

Endgame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.