don't click here

"Multiple" new Sonic games planned for 2021

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

oops

being charitable, maybe their sources just didn't have information on which English VAs were leaving, but it just feels like they could've just...not mentioned that, or said outright that they didn't know, lol

[edit: To be clear, the first quote is from the post linked by MH MD]

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Like that's ever gonna happen.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This reads like a hardcore Adventure fan's Christmas list.

As such, it is practically guaranteed to be fake.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Despite the recent abuse of his iconography and nostalgia, Classic Sonic represents a particular gameplay style for many fans, being that of the original Mega Drive trilogy and Mania and their momentum and their momentum driven gameplay, not to mention a particular aesthetic that is simpler in design than the stylings seen in most modern games (excepting the likes of Lost World and perhaps Forces), but nevertheless enjoyed.

The idea of retiring Classic Sonic from games in general would suggest that all those trappings that come with him would be going away too. Furthermore, it would be speak to a specific problem that Sonic Team has been accused of for years, being that of throwing the baby out with the bath water by completely doing away with something that catches enough flak rather than taking a measured response to improve it.

Like the complaints against extraneous and cluttering gameplay styles levelled at the series 15 years prior, now ire is directed at Classic Sonic and/or his iconography being wheeled out every game, which I feel is fair - Lost World felt like a flanderisation of Mega Drive aesthetics and Classic Sonic had absolutely no reason to be in Forces other than as a ploy to try and play on the success of Generations.

If this rumour is to be believed, it’s likely that Sonic Team are getting rid of his gameplay presence as a response, but this isn’t what people want. What people want is for him to be contained in his own games in the style of Mania, to allow the classic and modern iterations to explore their own identities and gameplay ideas without impeding upon each other.

With the success of Mania and so many clamouring for a follow-up, it would be completely ignorant of Sonic Team to do away with Classic Sonic when they could just scale stop shoehorning him into games where he doesn’t fit. That’s what bothers people.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I don’t think having a “classic” Sonic matters when Sonic as a whole can just be good.

6. MH MD

MH MD

having one VA stays doesn't necessarily means that VA changes didn't occur, it also happened in 2010 when they changed all VAs...except Mike too at the time, that don't mean that a change didn't occur, it just means that Mike is that good and they didn't need to change him.
    The article can still be false of course but i don't think this is the thing that invalidate it, the Mario & Sonic at Olympics i feel is the more strange one, i don't feel SEGA is the kind of company that cancels something cause China related controversies, since the game itself shouldn't have any controversial material, China connection in the name isn't enough

7. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    About the rumours: I doubt it's true. But if Sega believes that they don’t need any more classic games, because classic is "old hat" and fans are making lots of 2D games, (but they can still have DIMPS make a modern 2D game), then I don’t think they've really learnt anything over the past decade.

Out of interest, how was he "known". Does he have a track record?

I never liked the Advance games, but I loved Rush & Colours DS because they brought back all the large play areas from the classic games. Then Dimps shifted to 3DS and they were back to making bad games again. It's almost as if they can't make a good game unless they have two screens to force them to make decent sized play areas.

8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The year has only just begun and we already got 2 news: the name for the upcoming Netflix show and someone new is going to voice Sonic and Amy (and presumably Tails?). There's clearly something underway here. Yes, it would have been nice if there were more news, but still, the current situation is new to everyone and honestly? I think Sega has just been improvising the whole time. Whether it's modern or classic, Sonic will be taking his next step. It wouldn't surprise me if they were dedicating their time into trying to figure out how to get rid of this discussion.

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That rumor sounds pretty fake, but if it's true, I won't mind Sega giving Classic Sonic a break for a while, as long as the games are still good. I doubt they will be permanently retiring him, though.

What's wrong with Generations 3DS? It was pretty much another Rush game, except with better graphics and an alternate Classic Sonic play style. In fact, I would call it my favorite 2d boost game, as I found that the levels flowed better. The level design and camera made it easier to look ahead while boosting, so I didn't find myself running into things all the time prior to memorizing the layouts.

Plus it redeemed the Heroes special stages :V

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  10. MH MD

MH MD

he is known in Reset Era forums to be exact, his track record comes mostly from Nintendo Direct leaks dates and such, he usually don't claims to know everything -and even in the article he does to some degree-, but the point is, he is not someone random on the internet and he is somewhat known especially with Nin fans, so i would assume he won't say anything with his name in it that can hurt his credibility.

Of course a lot of known "insiders" also throw some bullshit and not anything they say are credibly, even if the got some information right, just thought that since he is a known poster in Era, he is a bit more credible than some random 4chan post from anonymous poster.

I could be very wrong tho.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Even if Dimps were to make a new 2D game, I at least think Mania has renewed the Sonic 2D standard. They have to be on their A game if they want to succeed otherwise it'd bite Sega in the ass. People remember 2D Sonic was good, I imagine Sega would like to keep it that way.

Hell they could license the Retro Engine. It's also been 9 years since Dimps touched 2D Sonic, their last attempt being Sonic 4 Episode 2 which wasn't that bad. It could be a whole new team now, or they could have learned something since then. I def think that even though Dimps started to decline after Sonic Rush, they started clawing their way back with Generations 3DS and Sonic 4 Episode 2. We're they responsible for Lost World 3DS though? Because if so ya fuck them :V

EDIT: Ewwwww they did make Lost World 3DS. What a steamer that game was. One of the few Sonic games I sold and never looked back or regretted it.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Lost World 3DS was good though? :P

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    All the more power to ya if you enjoyed it but ekk. I hate it. I seem to remember asshole sentient snowballs, bottomless pits, electricity puzzles, levels that took over 10 minutes to beat (hugeeeeee Sonic no no for me, with rare exception I think all Sonic levels should be able to be completed quickly in no more than 4 minutes) and a special stage that required you to spin around in an office chair. It did have the elemental shields though, and actual underwater levels, so hey props for that I guess :eng99:

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Lost World 3ds is one of the worst Sonic game I’ve ever played, not an amazing way for Dimps to end their run with Sonic.
    I’d be curious to see them tackle 2D Sonic again tho, especially if it’s an advance style game.
    But even if the leak end up being true, let’s keep in mind the part about dimps developing the 2d game was pure speculation.

15. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

That's fair, I was being a bit nitpicky there. :)

@ the general discussion, since classic and modern came up again, I feel it worth pointing out that even since Generations, officials of SEGA Europe (at least) were always trying to ensure that modern Sonic was the "default" Sonic. There's that quote where they point out that there were "no plans" to bring back classic Sonic after Generations. Sure it's easy to kinda laugh at now, but I always felt like they were genuine about not planning to bring him back. Consider Sonic Lost World, for instance. Many have said Classic would fit better with that art style and he even shows up in one concept art piece for the game. Regardless, they used the Modern design for final game; maybe they were toying around with the idea of using Classic once development started on Lost World, or it could just be as simple as him being used as a placeholder in this image. It's the only concept art piece we know of for that game with Classic in it after all (unless you really want to count this one, but this always just looked like a simplified Modern Sonic to me).

If I had to guess why they opened up more to using Classic again, it probably had to do with Lost World's reception. The marketing around Sonic Forces was very focused on emphasizing that "these are the people who brought you Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations!!!" so I think they wanted to make something that resembled those games on the surface, bringing back the boost and Classic Sonic. That statement (about not planning to bring Classic back) was also almost certainly wayyy before the Sonic Mania/Discovery pitch, so that wasn't on the table yet.

Even post-Sonic Mania though, you have Modern Sonic referred to as only "Sonic" in both Sonic Forces and this official Sonic YouTube video 6 seconds in, while Classic Sonic is referred to as, well, "Classic Sonic":

However, there is that IDW Classic Sonic miniseries coming out this year, so they're clearly not phasing him out completely if that was anyone's concern. I'm pretty fond of either design and I want good fun games that don't restrict themselves based on strict adherence to "classic" or "modern" sensibilities :) Sonic Mania is probably my favorite Sonic game, but I wouldn't have minded if Mania was nominally the last "Classic" game, and then afterwards they worked on unifying the classic gameplay+art-style with Modern's and bringing classic-exclusive characters into the main universe/timeline/brand/whatever in some capacity. But them allowing the IDW Classic miniseries to happen kinda signals to me that SEGA has more plans with the Classic brand.

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    The levels felt small compared to the DS games. Plus it was also back to cheap hit, bottomless pit, cheap hit, bottomless pit, which plagued the GBA titles. After playing the DS games I was so excited for Generations 3DS but it just felt like a celebration of all of Dimps worst moments. The only stage I liked was Classic Emerald Coast.

17. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I'm taking this info with a pile of salt, but if it's true that the new game won't be boost, I'll be happy. But I won't be happy if it's also true that classic games will not continue being a thing. Sega would be taking a step forward and a step back IMO.

I'm honestly not sure if I'm more excited for Sonic or Monkey Ball. :p

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nah. It felt incredibly cheap and nasty. The controls were stiff and the level design was trash. Modern was much blander than the Rush games or Colours 3DS. And whilst Classic has been physics than in Generations HD, Forces or S4, he was still incredibly stiff and awkward to control. His levels were either very lazy 1:1 remakes of the Mega Drive originals, or they were this:

Generations 3DS isn't awful, but it's not particularly good either.

One of the worst Sonic games ever. Basically unplayable. Even when it's not unplayable, it's awful.

The fuck is this shit?

Disgusting.

Literally vomiting just thinking about it.

I'm obviously exaggerating, but also kinda not? Lost World 3DS is shite.

Anyway... The Advance and Rush games are all varying degrees of good. Advance 2 and 3 havve questionable design choices thorughout, but I like them both enough. In Rush, the level designs for very cheap. But they were trying something new improved significantly with Rush Adventure. Colours DS was clearly a budget game and played like a lesser Rush 3.

Dimps work really started going down hill badly when they stopped making original games and were shafted on to clearly budget titles and secondary versions to whatever Sonic Team was doing. Sonic 4 may well have been bad, but I can believe that SEGA had a hand in it. If this rumour turns out to be true and Dimps are working on another Sonic game, I'll be interested in seeing what happens. Won't be surprised if it turns out bad though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Shit on me all you want for it. It was fun for me. I still like it. :ruby: Nice 3D Sonic game for when you're on the go.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They're not shitting on you they're shitting on the trash game :V

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.