Mr. Needlemouse

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MKAmeX, May 10, 2008.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I know evil chicken is (was?) in this, but are any other concept characters going to make an appearence?
    <a href="http://www.sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?catid=1&gameid=1&subid=4&artid=2" target="_blank">http://www.sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?cati...d=4&artid=2</a>

2. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Yes. You can expect almost all of them to appear somewhere in it. Though I'd rather keep the humans out of it, aside from 'Robotnik' and Madonna.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=383985:date=Dec 12 2009, 02:12 AM:name=MKAmeX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKAmeX @ Dec 12 2009, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=383985">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes. You can expect almost all of them to appear somewhere in it. Though I'd rather keep the humans out of it, aside from 'Robotnik' and Madonna.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Darn would've loved to see what grandpa gohan samurai did. Which version of eggman are you adding? the sleepy time fatman or yellow shirt?

[​IMG]
    Also, is the Tokyo stage going to be there?

Edit: sorry nineko I got lazy I don't usually hotlink.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

A D V A N C E Resident Jester
    Japan
    <!--quoteo(post=383926:date=Dec 12 2009, 02:35 AM:name=MKAmeX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKAmeX @ Dec 12 2009, 02:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=383926">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And what do you have to complain about Markey? You get to see stuff all the time! =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How do I know that there isn't anything that you Haven't shown me? =P

But no in all seriousness, there's something special about receiving an update on a thread here than say receiving it privately, you can discus it with other members, let them know about your thoughts behind it, the pros and cons. I cannot do that currently because everything is private, and it would be wrong of me to do so. But anyway, enough of my moaning, I bet a lot of people here are pleased that the hack isn't discontinued =)

5. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Lanzer:

You can see an early, and very terrible sprite of him in pajamas early in this thread. It's much better looking now, though. =P
    And I plan to somehow fit all of the concept levels in here, and most of the basic art for all of them are done already.

Markey:

Well of course, there's plenty I haven't shown you! =P
    But I understand where you're coming from. But if there were to be an update, I'd probably put it in a new thread.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=384157:date=Dec 12 2009, 05:13 PM:name=MKAmeX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKAmeX @ Dec 12 2009, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=384157">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lanzer:

You can see an early, and very terrible sprite of him in pajamas early in this thread. It's much better looking now, though. =P
    And I plan to somehow fit all of the concept levels in here, and most of the basic art for all of them are done already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One last question, will you be keeping the same sonic 1 music or get someone to compose new tracks? Seems like an effort but it would be nice to hear some new or remixed stuff.

7. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    <!--quoteo(post=384218:date=Dec 12 2009, 05:05 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Dec 12 2009, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=384218">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=384157:date=Dec 12 2009, 05:13 PM:name=MKAmeX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKAmeX @ Dec 12 2009, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=384157">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lanzer:

And I plan to somehow fit all of the concept levels in here, and most of the basic art for all of them are done already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One last question, will you be keeping the same sonic 1 music or get someone to compose new tracks? Seems like an effort but it would be nice to hear some new or remixed stuff.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm hoping to get new music, but that's out of the way at the moment, I just want to focus on the visuals. Everything else will come after.

8. Tidbit

Tidbit

I do and don't like those sprites. I think the style is interesting, but..... I feel like putting these goofy sprites of Sonic is kinda defacing the awesomeness of Sonic1. *shrugs* But either way good job with what you've done so far.

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    <strike>That was partially the point in the hack's existance</strike>

How dare you defy the awesomeness that is Mr. Needlemouse? You owe it to him that you even have Sonic 1. :argh:

Jokes aside, I've always admired this epic hack. And since I've always wanted to see S1's concept art come alive, I nearly drool every time I hear an update of this game.

10. Kudos. Very well done hack. I laughed so hard throughout the entire game! I still laugh at the hilarity!

Do you plan to do a Sonic 2 Hack with Mr. Needlemouse?

11. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    <!--quoteo(post=404116:date=Feb 1 2010, 09:57 PM:name=Kiyo Hosokoawa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kiyo Hosokoawa @ Feb 1 2010, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=404116">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kudos. Very well done hack. I laughed so hard throughout the entire game! I still laugh at the hilarity!

Do you plan to do a Sonic 2 Hack with Mr. Needlemouse?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you! I don't want to worry about that stuff yet, as the first isn't even done. =P

But that's not saying I don't have some plans for the future. :ssh:

12. Picu97

Picu97

WTF has a new meaning
    Rosario, Argentina
    Sonic Return to South Isle v.2.0
    Shit! This is epic!

Changing "SONIC HAS PASSED" text would be really great. Best way is by Selbi's S1 Text Code Generator. But first Decompress your ROM.

13. Tidbit

Tidbit

XD I think he already knows how to do all that, but relooking at all of this, its very well done. Great job can't wait to play it all.

14. I think that this hack is awesome. Mr. Needlemouse is just adorable and I can't help laughing while I play. Great work.

15. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Thanks for the complements guys!

<!--quoteo(post=451195:date=May 5 2010, 04:04 PM:name=Picu97)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Picu97 @ May 5 2010, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=451195">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shit! This is epic!

Changing "SONIC HAS PASSED" text would be really great. Best way is by Selbi's S1 Text Code Generator. But first Decompress your ROM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As far as I know, it was definitely changed in one of the later builds, long before Selbi even made a generator =P
    In fact, I could've sworn it was done in the first build. I can't really check now though. Hehe.

16. dsrb

dsrb

Just to let you know I started an article for this on the wiki: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Mr. Needlemouse (hack)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Mr. Needlemouse (hack)</a>. I'll try to put at least some of the images up later.

17. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    <!--quoteo(post=470716:date=Jun 21 2010, 10:16 PM:name=dsrb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dsrb @ Jun 21 2010, 10:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=470716">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to let you know I started an article for this on the wiki: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Mr. Needlemouse (hack)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Mr. Needlemouse (hack)</a>. I'll try to put at least some of the images up later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, that's so cool. Thanks man!

You make me sound so professional in that, hahaha. I feel so special. =)
    If I ever get the time, I may add some... 'goodies' to it.

18. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    First off: I'm an idiot.

Let me start by saying I had planned on releasing a demo build for this years hacking contest. Up until last night I had been working hard on it and I thought it would be presentable.
    Unfortunately I am a total fool. I had a hard drive failure last night and I lost everything. I'm 99% sure everything is lost.
    I hadn't backed up my hard drive in years, so everything is gone now. In retrospect doing that at least once a month would've been a smart idea. I lost everything, regardless.

Well it's not so bad I suppose. I'll just start over with whatever I DO have saved. I'm not quitting. However I am taking a break from hacking for the time being due to the sheer frustration of the entire situation.

Lastly, this is the last saved build that I have. It's extremely early, right after I restarted the hack. Not much to look at, or really anything, but it's something.
    I might have a slightly later build saved somewhere on a SD card or so, if I find it I'll update this.
    For now, here's... Something. As far as I can tell it's only the green-ish city level that I made as a test. It's straight line zone in every sense.

DOWNLOAD

19. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Sorry to hear about it, man. I always had a soft spot for Mr Needlemouse and the stuff in that beta ROM looked promising. As a side note about the ROM, I know it wasn't deliberate, but I quite like how Mr Needlemouse turns into a mess of pixels when he looks up. It seems to fit his personality. I also love how he rocks in time to the Star Light Zone music. I could watch him do that all day.

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Jesus, that really sucks. I haven't played your rom hack yet but I love some of your sprite work and the concept in general.