don't click here

Monitor problems

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Hez, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This happen to anyone else? I've had the monitor for less than 4 months and it just started happening. Any ideas on how to fix this besides "buy a new one".

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Try a different video cable, especially if you're using VGA. Alternately, if that doesn't work, try a different video card.

3. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I had that same problem with my VGA monitor a while back. Swapped the cable for one I got when I got my first LCD back in '04, and that worked much better. I also got a lot of noise with dark colours, which that fixes. Alternatively, it could be a cap inside your monitor going bad - I've seen that cause problems with ghosting, washed out colours, and so on.

If you're using DVI, a bad cap in the LCD driver might still be causing problems, but there might also be a problem in the DVI decoder or your cable is crappy.

4. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Horizontal ghosting happens because of bad imedance match or some LPF caps on the outputs of the video card or at inputs of the too strong (on old stuff). I had to remove some caps on my GeForce2Ti to get rid of that on 1680x1050 resolution.
    Different video cable usually solves the issue like pointed out in previous posts.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, if at all possible move it to a DVI connection. Had this issue when I first hooked my current monitor up - switched it to DVI, problem disappeared.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Even though these monitors are brand new, they only have VGA and HDMI hookups. It's weird, but yeah. I'll buy another VGA cable and VGA to DVI converter to see if that helps.

7. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Use VGA only on CRTs, when it is LCD and has DVI you should not even think of hooking it up using VGA.
    GFX card -> Digtal -> RGB -> monitor -> RGB -> Digital -> panel
    GFX card -> Digtal -> monitor -> Digital -> panel

8. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    VGA isn't that bad on a good LCD with a good cable, I have an older Microtek C893 that's VGA-only and other than occasionally needing to be calibrated for clock and phase, it's rock solid. Of course, I'm using a good VGA cable with it too :P

Also, on some HDTV sets, VGA is the only input that both doesn't overscan and doesn't cause lag. My HDTV doesn't lag with component input that's progressive scan but it still overscans.

I agree, when possible use a digital input. Depending on the monitor/TV, however, VGA can have its benefits.

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I took the cable out and used it on one of my other monitors. Definitely the cable. Last time I buy a cable from Best Buy. The other two cables are stock, and the one malfunctioning I bought from best buy because I needed a longer cable. So, should I instead get an HDMI to DVI converter instead of using the VGA to DVI converter? I'm using three monitors and my video card only has DVI inputs, and my monitors only have VGA and HDMI. What's a lad to do...

10. Flygon

Flygon

I recommend a DVI to HDMI converter, yeah. The only thing it changes is the pins assigned anyway. The two formats are mutually compatible.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    "VGA to DVI" cables are for connecting a VGA monitor to a system that has a DVI-I or DVI-A port. They cannot be used to connect a VGA device to a monitor with a DVI-D port.

In your case, you'd want to get a "DVI-D to HDMI" cable. These cables have a single-link DVI-D connector on one end, and an HDMI connector on the other. HDMI is basically single-link DVI-D with a different connector, so these are basically pass-through cables with no active electronics.

See http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231 for examples.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I ordered three of them, assuming that the other two monitors will perform better with this option?