don't click here

Michael Jackson & Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infinity

infinity

There doesn't seem like much link for that though. Didnt the guy who did Streets of Rage soundtrack make that track, and all the others on Sonic 2 GG?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yuzo Koshiro coposed all the songs in Sonic 1 GG except Green Hill, but he didn't do a thing in Sonic 2 GG.

3. booo95

booo95

Interesting. They use the same notes tunes and everything.

4. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Well, it's probably just a coincidence. In one song I made I used this small piece of melody that sounded exactly like The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring and didn't realise it until later.

5. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Am I the only one who wouldn't be surprised if Together again was a hiddin song in Sonic R?

6. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I don't know if it's just me, but the first three songs in S3 are dissimilar to Michael tunes (correct me if I'm wrong), while the latter three, as well as the credits, are the ones we point at for being similar. (Carnival Night, Ice Cap, Launch Base.) Furthermore, in normal S3, we have different tunes for Knuckles, the Invincibility, and the mini-boss.

I have to wonder... one of two things. Did they split up the song-creation duty between several people? (I.E. First half, latter half, Boss/Final Boss, and all the small bits of music) Why does Carnival Night Act 2's music sound exactly like Act 1's? And... possibly Launch Base Act 1 and 2 too?

I have many questions; it seems like there's some sort of pattern to how the music was edited. Sonic and Knuckles, when docked on, took out the incidental music and the miniboss song; Sonic and Knuckles Collection removed the latter half of Sonic 3's music and replaced it. This would leave the game without any references to the past music.

Just curious, really. Lots of funky things I notice just from playing on my old Genesis and looking at how things changed over time.

7. chicago2003

chicago2003

Pending Member
    I wonder who else it will turn out did music for video games in the past.

8. Actually, the act 1 and 2 tracks for Carnival Night and Launch Base are different. They may start and end the same way, but they are different in very unnoticable details.

I brought my theory on why the S&K tracks replace the S3 tracks when you hook S3 to S&K (likely they're in the same place in each ROM), and why the music in S&KC was replaced (not possible at the time to replicate the music on a MIDI)...

As I said, if the original, unedited tracks were in there and they WERE Jackson's, he would've said something about it and the PC counterparts would've been the same in every version of Sonic 3 since S&KC. Which is not the case.

And if somebody says "Oh Sega was lazy", even if they WERE, that's not a wise idea as they COULD get sued for doing that. It's like when Sonic Spinball initially had the original Sonic theme: had that been in the final game, Nakamura would've done something about it.

9. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I don't think I've responded yet, but I think this is really neat. ^^

Great work, too, QJimbo.

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    After listening to these 6 songs over the past.....well, 12 years, I can safely say that things ARE a bit different between the Act 1 and Act 2s.....but the fashsion in which they were done was the worst and most lazy fashion possible.

With the exception of THREE notes added to the baseline of Carnival Night Zone Act 3, there isn't any difference made musical wise.

In all three act 2 zones , the only differences are actually the REMOVAL of some voices for all or part of the songs.

This is why it's VERY hard to hear the differences because things like this are usually done the other way around ever since Sonic 3. In every other Sonic game that had zones with an "act 2" musical change, something has been always added or significantly changed enough for one to notice.

In the first 3 Zones the changes are very obvious (I admit when I first played the game, it took me awhile to notice that I was hearing something a bit different. That's when I first started experimenting with Angel Island's music, entering Act 2, then retarting the game to go to act 1 to see if the music was really evil sounding all along, but of course it wasn't....but the Act 1 on fire/special stage glitch didn't help matters at all), as well as the remainder w/ Sonic and Knuckles.

So in conclusion, they did a really bad job with these act 2 remixes...I really think that when they were made, the people were initially unaware that there needed to be changes and when they were told, they took the EASY way out because they didn't want to take the time and spice up the songs a little bit....oh well. I would have to say that Ice Cap's Act 2 remix was the best one done out of the three though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.