don't click here

Mega Drive Mini 2 Announced (Includes Mega CD Games)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Ashura96, May 27, 2022.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I mean, Amazon UK has the release date as tomorrow, so yes =P

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Oh, uh, I guess Amazon US does too. I just didn't pay attention! Even still, it says it will arrive between the 31st and November 10th, so I guess I'll be waiting a bit before I get it!

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Mine's said by the 14 of November.

4. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Now this is super useful - I've been looking at the digital manuals for the Mega Drive Mini 2, and I've noticed that they have lists of what box arts will be displayed and which game versions will be used for each language, with each version of the system having their own lists:
    Perhaps we should find some way of mirroring these lists for Sega Retro, perhaps even for a sub-page. Of course, some games have additional versions not listed here, e.g. Sonic CD has both the EU and US versions selectable on the European Mini 2 for English.

We'd also have to make our own list for the first Mega Drive Mini.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]

Fast delivery! Had a brief look at the unit - it's adorable - but I'm not going to get the chance to play it until at least Sunday, most likely.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Also got my Mini 2. Looks great and the menus are decent. First game I played & beat was Sonic CD. This release includes both the Jp & NA soundtracks.

Didn't manage to get all time stones (special stages are really hard in the original version). Thankfully muscle memory is good so I managed to get the good ending by destroying all robot generators.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  7. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    Played a few games on mine, happy with it. Bare Knuckle 3 has been altered to remove part of the first round (the bit featuring Ash). Super Street Fighter II has changes the recent re-releases of the SFII games have had, like the Air Force logo from Guile's stage being removed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Does Fei Long have the Chinese flag?

And if so, are we taking bets to see how long it takes someone to switch it back?

9. Xhojn

Xhojn

Received mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to play it yet sadly!

10. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    Fei Long does have the Chinese flag. Has anyone noticed this with ClayFighter's credits?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This game's credits sequence is over 8 minutes long, which has to be some kind of record for a Mega Drive game.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Controversial!

For those not aware, Super Street Fighter II has a issue with Chinese politics. Street Fighter II is meant to be set in the then-present day (so roughly 1991), and Fei Long represents Hong Kong, which was still a British colony back then.

Recent games have swapped out the flag, first to its 1997 iteration, and more recently, China's. But Hong Kong wasn't part of China in 1991, so this is seen as playing into the hands of China's attempts to erase the distinct identity of the region and all that. Zangief, meanwhile, still gets to represent the USSR that hasn't existed in more than 30 years.

Come to think of it, this will be the first release of Street Fighter II after Mikhail Gorbachev's death, so they're setting it in present day 2022, Zangief's situation makes even less sense!

• List
  12. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Has anyone in the US gotten theirs yet? Mine hasn't even shipped, although my card's been charged. So much for the usefulness of preordering.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Did they fix Metallic Madness Act 2 past? (It's not beatable without clipping into the walls on the Sega CD Original.)

14. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    No. I tested this. MM act2 can only be beaten in the Present and Good/Bad future. Can't be beaten in the Past.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Apparently mine is not arriving until fucking November 16. Happy birthday to me, I got COVID and my only present isn't getting here for fucking weeks.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Got this this morning too. =P

[​IMG]

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    So it's arriving to you on my birthday instead.

(Ok, shitpost, but I found the coincidence funny.)

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Scans pl0x.

19. BinBowie

BinBowie

Na Zdrowie! Member
    USA
    My apologies if this is already known about or has already been mentioned earlier in the thread as I only skimmed it.

I recently got around to watching a review video of the Mega Drive Mini 2 and overheard the guy doing the review say that they changed Yellow Magic Orchestra's "Rydeen" to another song to get around copyright issues, which I didn't know how to feel about because of it being such an iconic version of the song to me, but then I heard what they replaced it with...

Compare to Oriental Magnetic Yellow's "Ryzeen".

For those who don't know, Oriental Magnetic Yellow is a parody band of Yellow Magic Orchestra (This point was probably obvious.) composed of members Shinji Hosoe, Nobuyoshi Sano, Takayuki Aihara and Hiroto Sasaki, all of which being video game music composers from Namco. Having been a fan of this parody group for a while I've heard most tracks by them already so Sega choosing to use this song by them was a pleasant surprise to me.

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Got mine in today, actually. This is a Christmas present, so I'm putting it away until then, but I just wanna say, I was not expecting the box to be so small.