don't click here

MD Pro Flash Cart

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Bibin, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I have one of the tototek MD Pro Sega Genesis / MegaDrive flash carts. I can't get the damn thing to cooperate with any PC I've tried. I've tried four different ones - running Windows 98, 2000, XP, all of them, with the correct port settings, and a multimeter-tested-functional paralell cable, and absolutely none of them see the cart in the included dreamwriter software. Using Oerg's custom software, I got a bit further (as it's a frontend for Ucon64) but it halts due to some sort of permission issue with IO.SYS under XP despite my being the administrator account. Windows 7 is out of the question being 64-bit. Shame, it's my main OS.

I saw Oerg made some flavor of a DOS boot-CD that has some cart diagnosis; this would be super useful but all links to it are down.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or perhaps does someone want to let me send them the cart and a disc full of things to put on it, flash it, and send it back? I'm getting desperate and I needed this months ago.

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Are you getting a stream of FF bytes from the ucon64 GUI interface? I still have yet to test my cart on an actual parallel port (and not a laptop dock), but if the solution to both our problems is the same then good.

I just hope Oerg's disc isn't a floppy image :|

3. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Nope, I just get a popup about IO.SYS and it refuses to go further.

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    You need to make sure the BIOS is set to EPP mode. You also need to be plugged into a USB port on the motherboard, or a powered hub.

If you go to the ucon64 page and scroll down to ucon64 misc, you'll find a number of different port drivers. I use the first one (userport.zip) on XP Pro on my laptop with the MD-Pro through ucon64.

http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/

5. Hi bibin.

I have this issue sometime. You just have to click flash again, that's how I fixed it.

About the diagnosis: I don't have the stuff with me atm, but I have the ISO and IMA images somewhere. I'll upload them soon. It is likely to crash at one point though, but until then you will already know whether the cart works or not.

Cheers.

EDIT: Try this old one while I am at it:

http://oerg866.tototek.com/mdpro/TTKBOOT.ISO