don't click here

Mastersystem Sonic 1 & Sonic Chaos tunes playing on BBC Micro

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dust hill resident, Oct 30, 2016.

1. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    I don't know if this has been posted already, sorry if it has. (I'm also not sure if this is the right subforum, but anyway)

Some people from the Acorn/BBC computer community have ported the songs from Sonic 1 and Sonic Chaos to the BBC Micro. I thought people here might appreciate it.
    https://bitshifters.github.io/posts/prods/bs-beebtracker3.html

They have a web-based/javascript emulator built into the page, so you can try it out and listen to the songs without having to install BeebEm. I'm guessing it wouldn't work on mobile phones though, so I've uploaded this clip to youtube so you can get an idea of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxs9DgVs9lw

I think it's really cool myself. From what I can tell, the sound is fairly authentic. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was the original music coming from the MS itself, but it has been several years since I last played any of the Master System games or heard the music.

2. Flygon

Flygon

It does help that they do run on the same soundchip, which would help things. Bar the few minor differences regarding the Noise Channel.

Quite neat to see a port, however!

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The real challenge is to get your BBC Micro to do something else at the same time (as in, something meaningful).

4. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I find it a little hard to call it a port when it's a glorified VGM file. It's like calling a WAV of a Mario World song being played on the Mega Drive's DAC channel a port.

5. Big Hellos to you DHG, and what a fascinating innovation. I'd love to hear it on hardware on a youtube video.

6. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    Hello there Narstyle. Yeah I was thinking of getting my family's old BBC micro out of the attic and trying to get this running on it, but I don't have a disc drive for it - only a cassette recorder - so I'm not sure if it's possible. I'll probably still try.

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The pitch of Aqua Planet Zone's music is off... Plus I prefer the Game Gear version of the track, which is rare seeing how I prefer the SMS tracks over the GG tracks aside from APZ and THZ. Still this is a pretty interesting project!

8. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    So, it turns out my phone is perfectly capable of displaying HD video, but entirely incapable of running a Java emulation of a BBC Micro at full speed. Go figure.