don't click here

Mario and Sonic Rio 2016

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, May 31, 2015.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    After watching the video linked above, I agree that this doesn't look too bad, all things considered.

Also, an observation:

This seems to be the exact opposite of what happened with Mario & Sonic - Sochi 2014:

• Game is initially announced for both WiiU and 3DS.
    • Media of any kind regarding the 3DS version is nowhere to be found as the release date approaches.
    • Release date comes and goes; no sign of the 3DS version, although many companies have a release date and are still insisting on the game's future release.
    • Game appears to only be released for WiiU, with final confirmation from SEGA/Nintendo after the fact.

So, will be only be getting Mario & Sonic - Rio 2016 for the 3DS? I remain sceptical.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm pretty sure they had never announced a 3DS version for Mario & Sonic 2014, some just assumed that there'd be one because every Mario & Sonic game at that point had gotten a DS or 3DS version.

Also, there is media of the Wii U version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APV7ri3scLI

They also announced an arcade version a couple of months ago, which I assume will be based on the Wii U version.

3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Ah, I see. That would explain it. I know that Amazon, Zavvi and Game were taking pre-orders for the 3DS version of Mario & Sonic - Sochi 2014, though, even if it didn't actually exist.
    They even had a preliminary box art for it in place during this time:

[​IMG]

Also, regarding Mario & Sonic - Rio 2016, the mention of an Arcade version intrigued me and so I watched that video also.
    It contains what I'd expect, and looks more likely that a WiiU version is happening. It might just be quiet on the WiiU version's development at the moment, I reckon.

4. StarProdigy X

StarProdigy X

Well, I am excited for this game, and I am excited for the new characters as well, especially Jet and Omega, and Zavok, too. I can't wait to play this game when it comes out; not just for the characters, so you know.

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Surprised no one beat me to it: 3DS version comes out March 18th in NA.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/686600978649497602

No mention of Wii U, I don't keep track of the Olympics games release dates but they're usually roughly the same time right?

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    The London 3DS game came out a few months later than its Wii counterpart, but the first two's Wii and DS versions came out on the same date.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The Facebook page did mention the Wii U version and said that it will be released later this year.

8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    You know that's not the worst strategy. Might be easier to get more devoted fans to double dip with a healthy gap between the two versions.

...assuming that it is their plan, as opposed to just the Wii U version getting delayed. :v:

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    If they have sense, it'll be released right as the Olympics start (or a week or so before). The 3DS game will act as an initial slowburner.

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I played the arcade version of this game at EAG International in London yesterday, it was rather fun with the two massive joysticks, especially the swimming game. Will be putting out some shaky gameplay footage of it in a video about the event in the next week.

11. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    They screwed the pooch on the US release date, though. It's going up against Pokkén Tournament, so look for that to just wreck this title's figures.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Considering the games are completely different genres and on different platforms, not really.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You beat me to it.

One is a fighter spin-off of Pokémon on the Wii U. The other is a casual sports-party game on the 3DS. Their audiences will only overlap in the slightest of ways, and even so they're completely different beasts. Even if the Wii U version was releasing at the same time as the 3DS one, I don't think it would really be any cause for concern.

14. So, since this is out in Japan, Eggman's new Japanese VA has been revealed: Motomu Kiyokawa

Considering he's nearly as old as Chikao ?tsuka was, I hope he can hang in there for a while.

15. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

This is out today on 3DS. Anyone plan on getting it?

16. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    [​IMG]
    This here's the title screen for the game taken through NTR and merged with a homebrew app. I picked up the game through a site I can't really link to here, but I have yet to play it, especially after how Mario & Sonic 2012 was underwhelming when I finally got around to playing that.

BTW, if anyone wants to upload the image to the wiki, go right ahead, I can't log in to the wiki to do it myself.

EDIT: Just got around to playing the game for real, and the Story Mode is essentially "(Insert Mii Here) goes to Rio to compete in the Olympics and joins either Mario's gym or Sonic's gym"

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Decided to take a look at reviews as it hasn't been done here yet. Advance copies of the game have reportedly been sent in limited supplies to reviewers.

Rio 3DS seems to continue the downward trend of mediocre reception for the series as a whole, with a 59 mixed score (based on 19 reviews, 16 mixed and 3 negative) on Metacritic and a 49.45% on GameRankings (based on 9 reviews). 5s and 6s make up the bulk of scores on MC, with most reviewers saying the minigames/events are too stale and repetitive, and don't provide much gameplay depth. Rio 3DS's MC 59 aggregate score makes it the second lowest-ranked game on the site (only Sochi 2014 ranks lower with a mixed 55), while it's 49.43% on GR makes it the lowest-scoring M&S Olympics game on that site.

Sega's 2015 FY report should be out in a few weeks, so when that releases, we should get a good picture there of how many copies the game has initially sold.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I imagine that regardless of the initial number, M&S 2016 will get a good sales bounce when the Games themselves actually start, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about sales numbers yet.

19. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Well, I have bought a copy of the game on 3DS, as it was released today. It's at my Mum's though, so I won't be playing it for a while. Still, I did have a look around on YouTube and, at least compared to London 3DS, you do actually get to play the entirety of an event, as opposed to either the start and finish, or a section of, each one.

However, while the game looks nicer, it seems like less of an experience compared to the original Olympic Games on DS (released 9 years ago, even) which allowed you to play any event with any character, whereas this one restricts you to a unique set of characters per event. Also, the characters (at least on the Sonic side) seem like weird choices. Who wants to play as Wave the Swallow, and why is she even a playable character in the first place? It seems odd to me, especially when you have a much broader range of characters available.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I had to go to two different stores on release day to find it, and I got the last copy my local Best Buy had. I thought that was pretty strange.

I like the minigames in this one, there's a good balance between using buttons and the touch screen. Some of them feel a bit wonky (water polo comes to mind; you have to alternate tapping your left and right index fingers to move around and swipe to take a shot), but they generally play pretty well. I wasn't nearly as impressed by the dream events this time though, and I could do without dream golf.