don't click here

Many old posts have been fixed!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GerbilSoft, Feb 27, 2023.

1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I decided to run a bunch of regexes on old (pre-XenForo) posts because all of the formatting was completely broken. The end result is a good number of old posts now have working links, quotes, and lists.

If you encounter any old posts that still have broken formatting, please link them here so I can adjust the regexes and run them again.

EDIT: Ran the update script on signatures, so old signatures should be mostly fixed now.
    EDIT 2: Fixed a bunch of old YouTube embeds. There's probably still some that are still broken, though. (At least 141 according to the DB; some have explicit timestamps, which isn't supported by the media tag...)
    EDIT 3: Fixed most inline spoilers and color tags.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  2. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Not sure if broken... or just a severe case of Dutch Elm-ternet Disease thanks to sepwich and imagebucket dying.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    The source images are either missing or on a domain that no longer exists. Can't do anything about that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    This post and another one quoting it from the first page of "The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge" have a broken quote tag going on, possibly due to having an image immediately after the opening quote stuff.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Fixed. It was caused by an old implementation of the "snapback" link that wasn't handled by the regex. (The second post was also missing the quote header for the nested quote; not sure if this was caused by the regex breaking or something else.)

The main issue with the formatting is the way things are cached. The old IPB cached the generated HTML directly in the database, which means old templates weren't automatically updated. XenForo keeps the BB code version of the post in the database and caches the HTML version elsewhere.

6. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    It's probably worth cleaning up various instances of "codebox", such as this.

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Codebox can be replaced with code=asm:
    Code (ASM):
    1. move.l #'SEGA', ($A14000).L
    Will check.

EDIT: Done. All of the codeboxes are now CODE=ASM, though some may work better with other language IDs. I'll have to go through them manually to determine this.

EDIT 2: Updated most of the codebox languages to match the content. Some of the codeboxes are showing all HTML garbage; I'll need to fix this manually later.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
  9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  10. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Not sure if I can easily specify a pixel size with the SVG versions, but I'll look into it.

Also, reimplemented the sub and sup tags, and fixed all old posts to use the properly. H2O == 1st choice

EDIT: Replaced with SVG. It seems that setting the size to "16px 16px" works as expected on both "standard DPI" and HiDPI. (On HiDPI, it's handled as "logical pixels".)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    I'm noticing that a lot of posts with non-Latin1 characters somehow got garbled. I'm not sure when this happened.

If anyone sees any posts with unusual question marks in weird places, please post them here so I can attempt to restore the post from the backup.