don't click here

MAME now fully supports SegaSonic Arcade

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Heran Bago, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    http://www.mame.net/

A new version of MAME has been released! My sources tell me that the assholes who make MAME have finally lightened up and decided to work on their support for the [system 32? or was it model 2b? ahh, who cares.] and SegaSonic Arcade is now fully playable.

> No more glitch on the ice level that crashes MAME.
    > Ending Sequence works.

Now let us remember back to days when Nemesis had to crack the copy protection for us to play it.
    Ok, end of flashback.

Go try MAME v 0.99 if you give a damn about playing SegaSonic Arcade.

edit: hmm, nothing about it in the whatsnew.txt.
    COuld someone here confirm this for me? I'm not really into MAME.

2. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    I have no idea how to use MAME, but still...

SegaSonic Arcade! Must play.

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    According to the gamelist, SegaSonic the Hedgehog is NOT supported by MAME .99. Sorry. ;)

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

I heard it from someone who claims to have tried it. I guess I'll get off my lazyass and give it a shot.

5. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Well, I can't seem to get it even to go anyway since I don't have a Graphical User Interface like with 0.96. The command prompt with go on and then back off.

6. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    That's because you suck. =P

Just make a shortcut to mame.exe and type the internal name of the ROM in after the path. For example, <tt>"c:\Program Files\MAME\mame.exe" rtype</tt> if I wanted to do R-Type. Look at docs\gamelist.txt for internal names.

7. Molotok

Molotok

um... okay, how do I make a shortcut to that somehow...

8. Aurochs

Aurochs

Ehh....

Right click, and hit "Create Shortcut". Or, "Send To => Desktop (create shortcut)". Now, right-click the shortcut and go to its Properties page, and look in the "Target" box. That's the command line to start the program, which is what you want to edit as per my instructions above.

9. Molotok

Molotok

Yes, but the command prompt automatically goes back off after giving me the same shit about "mame
    • "

10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

NEWS FLASH!

IT WORKS!

The desert level has some graphical mishaps, HOWEVER! The ice level works completely!

MAME 0.99 is hapity pants! As this topic claims, SegaSonic Arcade is now supported in MAME.

I COULD, take a screen, but I don't want to be arsed into it, if you don't believe me, you're loss.

Dr. Eggman, copy cmd.exe to the same place as your mame.exe. open cmd.exe and type in "mame sonic" assuming you have the zip to the game in ../roms/, where the .. folder has mame.exe in it.

11. Aurochs

Aurochs

I already fixed that problem on ICQ. =P

That's an interesting way to go about it, though. I just use mamepp.ini and shortcuts.

12. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    It works, but what the hell are the controls? :huh:

13. Molotok

Molotok

Well, I haven't been able to find the pause button but as for start and player 1:
    Left Ctrl: player 1 button 1
    5: Coin 1
    1: 1 Player Start
    Arrow Keys: Of course, the direction Sonic, Mighty, or Ray move in, with a single key or a combination of two keys pushed.
    (so basically, push 5 and then 1 at the title screen, after you pushed "OK" at the warning at the front).

14. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ctrl+P to pause the game.
    In MAME, push TAB. You can change the controlls in either general controlls, or controlls for this game.

SO IMPORTANT THAT IT IS IN CAPS:
    YOU WILL NEED TO CHANGE THE ANALOGE SENSETIVITY IN ORGER TO BEAT THE GAME.

I hear there are ways to use analoge controllers/joysticks with mame, or your mouse, or even a real trackball.

And yes aurochs, it's a bizzare way to go about it, but it works SOOOOO well, try it with any DOS-only program that crashes when you try to open it with windows XP, like genecyst.

15. Meh, I'll try this when I can be arsed to download MAME. :P

16. (Can't edit? Meh...)

Well, this officially sucks. Pressing down on my gamepad causes Sonic to go in the OPPOSITE direction into a trap. Anything else causes him to either run into a wall, or casually walk for a second, then stopping.

17. Dioxaz

Dioxaz

Oldbie
    Sonic Rush No Vocal
    That's what happens when a game requires analog controls. And most of the time, it means "trouble" for digital gamepads.
    Anyway, MAME allows you to configure buttons the way you want.

Back to SegaSonic, yes, I can confirm that it works better in MAME 0.99, even if some other glitches appeared (moving objects flicker annoyingly). And yes, MAME no longer crash during the "ice" level.
    Also, sound is a bit better emulated (PCM sounds play at the right volume now)
    That's because the MAME team is working hard on System 32 these times.

Note that if some System 32 games work better in 0.99 version, some other don't (for Out Runners, dip switches no longer work, the game runs in double-cabin mode even if it's standalone and emultion is slower).

In fact, you need to adjust both X and Y sensitivities and speeds in order to play correctly.
    As for me, X and Y digital speed should be set between 20 and 30. And if necessary, you can change both X and Y sensitivities (it's 100% by default) to affect the character's acceleration.

And, oh, important detail that I didn't mention: I'm using AdvanceMAME (the Windows port), so I don't know if the regular MAME allows you to set analog speeds and sensitivities during gameplay. I'lm talking about the 'Analog controls' option of AdvanceMAME/MAME popup menu (press 'Tab' to make it appear during gameplay).

18. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Regular MAME does let you, it's just annoying to change anything. I should consider a better version than normal MAME.

19. I was using the analog stick on my gamepad. According to some guy at Sonic CulT, it's the protection that causes Sonic to run properly for a bit, then turn around and walk into a trap. But didn't Nemesis crack that?

On another note, Sonic's voice is ...weird, to say the least o_O

20. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I love this game. Thanks everyone who explained how to use it.

However, having to start at the beginning if you lose at the end is just evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.