don't click here

Making a Sonic fangame not starring Sonic and/or GHZ?

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by rebelcheese, May 28, 2017.

1. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Please don't take this as a negative OP or a slam on any of the developers making Sonic fangames, as they are working hard, for no profit, on providing the community with entertainment.

One of the biggest complaints I have seen consistently are the official Sonic developers leaning on Green Hill Zone nostalgia . Yet, I have noticed a trend with Sonic fangames in that Green Hill Zone, or an approximation thereof, is taking center stage (the most gratuitous of this is probably the Sonic Adventure 3 project). And, much like it is in the official games these days, a game where a character not named Sonic is even playable, much less the star, is scarce.

It's getting to the point where it feels unlike you have a unique hook (and they exist, like Utopia, Incursion, Survival, among others), Sonic fangames are just starting to blend to me. I'd like to see something out of left field, like a Shadow game without the forced EDGE, give Blaze a chance to truly be Sonic's counterpart, a Metroidvania-style game with Amy Rose, or let Knuckles run around like Spyro or Mario and explore, or something else?

I get that I'm in a bit of a glass house here as I can't code, the math part of my brain is so weak it can't even understand Game Maker. But I do feel like there's a lot of uninspired "Let's drop Sonic into GHZ again!" content going on, and I'm wondering why that is. I'd do it myself if I could grasp code with any sort of competence but unfortunately I'd have to ask for help to make it possible...

Anyway, I'm curious as to people's thoughts as to this trend in the fangame community and whether anyone else is feeling a little deja vu or if it's just me. :specialed:/>/>/>

2. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I'll say this: I've been asked to help with some art on a project that I just might end up working on. This project aims to be unique and do its own thing, rather than rehash the typical formula.

3. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    It's because many fangame projects are by learning novices and because most commonly fangames are demos of the beginning of the game.
    Green Hill is an easy and familiar design to work with, its trope is the typical first level, and with that you have people wanting to try their own interpretations of it.
    Beginners who jump in with too ambitious of an idea tend not to get anywhere so you're left with the projects that are easier to chew. It's very rare that anyone who gets good enough to make an outstanding or ambitious fangame that goes way beyond the basics actually sticks around to make it happen.

4. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    That would be interested to see someone do it, well it's funny, I mean look at Freedom Planet, it started out as a Sonic fan game with original characters and then it molded out as it's own awesome indie game (and it's already have a sequel for Christ sakes, how often do you see that happening?)

There were a few games where Sonic team up with OC in fan games but those are sadly gone like the others. I'm pretty sure somewhere down the road that someone will pick this advise from you.

f.y.i I want to see Knuckles run around like Spyro and collecting gems.

5. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I'm already interested. Good luck with it!

That's understandable. But I do wish more fangames would take the approach, of, say, Project Survival, where Riverside Park has some similarities to Green Hill in layout but in aesthetics is a totally different level that has some genuinely fun water slide parts along with a day, evening, and night cycle. The GHZ elements are still there but they are more of an inspiration than literally being the level or being a thinly veiled "Splash Hill"-esque reprise of it.

At the same time, you're probably correct, Green Hill is iconic, familiar, and is so flexible as a concept it's tempting to not just start off with another Green Hill adventure. Hell even Taxman & company are doing that with Mania (though they are throwing a lot of differences in the mix, especially in Act 2).

I know the story of Freedom Planet and it's actually really cool how it turned from a Sonic thing into its own adventure, and now it's getting a sequel due soon. It's rather amazing to see a game live up to Sonic's legacy like that while still forging its own path.

Knuckles running around in a total 3D space would be amazing. I hope someone does it someday, even as just a proof of concept to kick Sega a kick in the ass.

I have concepts for Blaze and Shadow lying around that I would love to try, but the issue is convincing someone to even hear the pitch(es), much less get them underway. And the Blaze one is much more fleshed out than Shadow.