don't click here

(Mainly S1 MS/Spinball MD) PAL audio rips at all?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Koutoni, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Koutoni

Koutoni

Just wondering if any PAL rips exist from the games, preferably from real hardware and encoded in a format that isn’t some old YouTube videos from 2008 converted to MP3s. Checked KHInsider and nothing existed really sadly...

Mainly wanting Spinball (Mega Drive) and Sonic 1 (Master System). Lava Powerhouse in the PAL version is amazing, fixing also the issue with cutoff after the loop. The Master System Sonic 1 also, while unoptimised at all, has similar charm to the Mega Drive S1 in places and it’s Yuzo Koshiro, who literally deserves a place in a musical hall of fame tbh.

Thanks for any links.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Not real hardware, but if you grab the vgm pack, you can change the playback speed to fit your desire. No, it won't distort the audio, because vgm is an emulated format: in layman's terms, compare it to a midi played at a lower tempo.

3. Koutoni

Koutoni

Does the audio’s pitch shift or not on the Master System in PAL mode (I think it’s generally by about half a semitone)? I forgot if it does or not as it’s been a while, but I really appreciate the advice, thanks~!

On that regard, is there a .vgm download for that hack that uses the YM2413? I forgot it’s name, lol.

4. nineko

nineko

italy
    To be honest, I don't know, I'm sorry, but I assumed that it doesn't? Hence my remark about slowing down a midi.

They are a bit hidden within a sea of subfolders, but all the vgms can be found in the source release.

5. Koutoni

Koutoni

Ahh, thank you!

I’m in PAL-I, I guess it would depend on the sound system in use. http://forum.doom9.org/showthrea (There’s some stuff on Wikipedia but here’s an old 2005 thread relating to someone converting the audio)

6. nineko

nineko

italy
    Oh, I see what you mean now. Let me try layman's words again.

That guy is changing the speed of a video stream, which also includes some form of audio. Now, you may know what happens if you play a tape at the wrong speed, the pitch of the audio get shifted. This is what happens if you change the speed of an audio stream which is in a pcm format or its compressed derivatives (e.g. mp3, aac, ...).

However, midi files, module files, vgm files, are not pcm streams, think about them like the roller thing in a player piano from western movies, or a music box: they only contain informations about which notes to play, and when to play them. If you speed up a midi, the notes stay the same, they're only played quicker, and the same applies to a vgm.

Sure there might be minor variations because of the different clock speed and whatnot, but the intended pitch should be nearly the same.

I hope this is simple enough while being technical enough.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  7. Koutoni

Koutoni

Ahh, that’s pretty helpful, thanks~ ❤️