don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Matwek

Matwek

If I remember correctly usually when you hit a spiked enemy with the instant shield you just pass straight through.
    I was thinking of using the instant shield for the traps. With the power off doors are locked so you have to take the long way round past easier traps, but with the power on short-cuts are opened that require you to use the instant shield to get past more dangerous traps.
    Up to the player if hes wants to risk going for a faster time.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Nope, the insta-shield is the only way to kill an enemy covered in spikes.

So, anyways, if we implement the "incomplete metal sonic" boss battle, we have to have Roller in there. I know at least some of the people who will read this see Roller as a Metal Sonic prototype, so why not?

3. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    ....Roller is an armadillo. Does this make the rolling pillbug in Sonic CD a "Metal Sonic prototype", too?

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Metal Mighty proto.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I dunno, I always saw Roller as a kind of Metal Sonic. Maybe have him make a cameo in the background or something?

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The only thing about the Roller that even somewhat resembles Metal Sonic is the fact that it rolls into a ball and is blue. That's it. I don't see how that implies that it must be a "prototype Metal Sonic"... the actual enemy is an Armadillo, is it not? It's enclosed in a shell, anyway.

But yeah, no.

7. Jordanime

Jordanime

Logos?

[​IMG]
    Brighter Yellow, Duller Blue /w White BG

[​IMG]
    Duller Yellow, Lighter Blue /w Black BG

[​IMG]
    Duller Yellow, Lighter Blue /w White BG

[​IMG]
    Duller Yellow, Lighter Blue /w Black BG

[​IMG]
    Brighter Yellow, Duller Blue .PNG /w Transparent BG

[​IMG]
    Duller Yellow, Lighter .PNG /w Transparent BG

8. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Last one, but all are awesome.

9. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Awww, but what about mine? ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Classic blue and orange, yellow and blue, red and yellow, white and blue, and a black and white one (the B&W one looks best on light backgrounds).

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    No offense, guys. Those are all the same. Namely, all PC2's are identical in terms of composition and basic elements, same for Jordanime's.

Why don't you try different arrangements of type, different sizes? All you're doing here is applying different colours and effects (Please, lose the emboss. It was cutting edge in 1993, take the hint). Start experimenting.

Sorry about the general tone here, but this sort of über-conservative approach needs to be knocked on the head before it becomes commonplace. There's some real ability here, but you're refusing to just let go.

11. Jordanime

Jordanime

Well if the idea is to make something that's dedicated to the old school Sonic, I don't think it's at all necessary to abandon the old logo style. Of course there could be merit in trying something different...

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    What about something like this logo?
    [​IMG]
    It's the official site logo, so a fangame named after it should have a similar logo...

That generi-steel lolcool font sucks.

This just looks like the Sonic logo with a few random words added in a different font.

13. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hi-res, for your viewing pleasure. While this may not really be the thread to discuss it, I'll try out few more designs and see what looks decent. :argh:

14. Flare

Flare

Adding to this logo talk, personally I hate this orange / blue, although it is used in the old logos personally something similar to the Sonic compilation logo.

[​IMG]

15. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
  16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    [​IMG]

This one, I like. Not so sure about the stencil font, but I rather like the uneven division between the words 'Sonic' and 'Retro' personally.

I'm with flare on the dislike of blue/orange, however. It would be good to see what other people think, but the almost-primary colours of the one I like are very clear.

[​IMG]

I also like this one a lot. The zig-zag pattern of 'Sonic' and 'Retro' is appealing, and I actually like the red-boxed lettering.

PC2, try mashups of these, and the others you've done. Let's see as many variations as you can give us -- and, at the same time, don't be afraid to try something new, if it springs to mind. Great work.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I know it might be a bit late to voice my opinion, but I don't really think Sonic Retro is the best name for this. It could be easily confused with Retro Sonic (XG). Maybe something like Sonic Neo?

Super Mario Bros = Sonic the Hedgehog
    Super Mario Bros 2 = Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Super Mario Bros 3 = Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Super Mario World = Sonic & Knuckles
    New Super Mario Bros = Sonic Neo

=P

18. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
  19. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    [​IMG]

:)

20. Amistat

Amistat

Yet another random idea from the twisted depths of my idle mind;

What about using the chaos emeralds to open alternate routes in levels?

Have ornate stone doors in awkward to reach places that hide alternate routes. On or around these doors is a carving of a chaos emerald of a specific colour. If the player has collected that emerald then the sprite stops, presents the emerald and the door opens. Otherwise it's ignored and won't open.

That'd mean certain routes could only be opened on replays of the level (if one's on the first level for example that has an image of the final chaos emerald on it, there's no way the player will be able to access that route first time).

As an expansion of that, if the Emerald Doors were not just related to new routes, but other cool rewards so that opening one would really give the player that "Awesome, I got one!" feeling and even every Metroid players favourite, the "Oooh I can go back an open that place now!" one too.
    To get those sort of truly nostalgic feelings of discovery, the Emerald Door routes could reward players with alternate bosses including character battles or open up new paths on the world map (if there is one planned, I heard a few discussions about it but am not sure if there will be one or not).

Another possible use could be to give the player access to the Nack/Fang battles. Other than "he's a miniboss" I've not seen many other ideas for Nack. How about he's busy plundering ancient echidna holdings that are hidden around the world that are locked with Emerald Doors? The player enters the area, fights Nack, gets a reward (he drops a bunch of ring boxes and shields perhaps?) then leaves to go and complete the level.

Another random thought, I'm not sure if it'd even be conceivable within the engine, but a time slow move for Sonic? Or rather a "he's going so fast everything is slow" move? If the player has 100+ rings and runs at top speed for a set amount of time their ring counter begins to flash. It flashes faster the longer they keep running until there's a cool blur effect and everything but Sonic slows down for a little while or until he's hit. Which ever comes first.
    Again, not sure if it's possible or even a good idea, but possibly worth mentioning as it doesn't distract from the core gameplay and would be more of a bonus move for collecting and keeping a decent amount of rings and also keeping a constant impressive speed.

*vanishes in a puff of smoke*