don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    [​IMG]

I actually posted this in IRC a while back. I think Chimpo said the face needed work.

Super Sonic should still look mean either way.

OH, btw, green eyes or black? Both are classic.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
  3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Feel free to.

4. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Needs more oldskool quills.
    [​IMG]

5. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  6. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    That looks damn good, nicely done!

7. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
  8. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Shitty running I did for fun. I'm almost finished my shit so I can help with this bitch again.
    [​IMG]
    I don't expect this to be used, just made it to see if I'm still good to go with the style. I'm thinking of making some key frames for Sonic's running.

EDIT: Yea, no. That looks fucking horrible. Kill me.

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Chimpo and Aquaslash will both probably yell at me, but I took a go at the spikes, because I didn't really like the older spikes =\

[​IMG]

Something about the old ones didn't give him that sawblade look he always had in the 90's artwork.

10. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Wow, that's pretty spiffy actually. His quills look more refined and even now. I would however, try to play around with the middle quill a bit so you don't have that blue line on the top of it. Flat colors helping define the form of his head helps give the sprites their 3d look.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    STHX, I have ignored no one. Far from it. It's the other way around.

I've been asking all of you

Pleading with all of you

To please let's just get the basic ground work going. Forget perfection, let's just get what we need to give to our more than patient programmer what he needs in order to get something going.

But none if you listened. You didn't progress, you didn't do shit. You found a pixel and argued over it. For days, for fucking weeks.

If this were an actual development team, we would all be fired right now.

And you know what? I'm fucking done.

I'm submerging, not participating in any more discussions or posting any updates. I will resume the majority of the work on my own like I've been doing. Once I have enough for something functional, I'll post them and the source files and you can all have your go at them at making them better because at that point, everything we need would have been done and discussions on how to make it look better will be helpful at that point since the only goal then would be to make it look better, not getting the shit done on a deadline.

Fuck people, just fuck. If you have the time and patience to make a wall of text about a couple of pixels, then surely you have the time and the patience to fucking help me.

Baww, bitch, moan all you want. I'm not coming back until I have something to show because I am done with this back and forth banter over and over again.

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    ^I've been expecting that post for a while.
    Since Chimpo became project leader and decided that we'd do this one step at a time, I kinda expected the nitpicking to stop. But obviously not.
    I've also wanted to say this, but I hate to be the newbie that shows up and tries to boss everyone around.

If I'm going to help, though, I guess I'll need to be told what to do. So guys, what's the next thing needing done?

13. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

To be fair a lot of people's interest, including my own, dropped sharply when the sonic sprite was revamped. I'd like to help but my life has become hectic with me changing my job.

14. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    If that's true then discard mine and make a new Sonic or something, anything that will help motivate people to help again.

what the fuck nevermind

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    ...but that's the problem.

16. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Since the normal Sonic sprite has been decided, move on to Super Sonic (which you were already doing anyway), or Tails or Knuckles or something. Preferably Knuckles. How about some walking animation?

17. Machenstein

Machenstein

Speaking of Knuckles, wasn't our original intention to make a Sonic sprite that matched the style of the Knuckles sprite we had? That Knuckles sprite is amazing.

Despite the incessant bickering, I think the output here has been quite well when it comes to the sprite submissions. We have the basics down and we're closer than ever before. We even have the Fang sprite down. We just need to focus on the other characters and their animations. We'll do the finishing touches when that time comes. The Sonic 2 prototypes didn't exactly have the same exact sprites as the ones in the final either. Let's just focus on getting some sprites out there for our programmer to use.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I think some of you should start tackling the level art and such. So far there is really hardly any pixel art done for the levels. I think the character sprites are fine and should start to be animated instead or trying to make improvements to the standing sprite for weeks.

19. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I agree with this. We should get the level art done so we can actually put these sprites to use. If the Sonic sheet isn't finished before the level, then we can just use Sonic 3 sprites as place holders for the time being.

20. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    This project lack concept, that's what's wrong with it. You're focusing on whatever comes along, because there isn't a clear pointer on what you're generally after. ("A kickass Sonic game, loser!" Yeah, well apparently it takes more than that.)

Rika's spot on in pointing where you guys went astray, though' - all three of the great 16 bit games have had level art done before main character art.