don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]

Point taken, I'll make a sprite beyond recognizability, but now l feel we should be discussing the outfit.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Eh. Not feeling it. I think were better off making a completely new sprite.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't see why he needs a new design. Like the genesis design or not isn't the point of this game to make the characters look like they belong back in that time period?

4. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I actually would prefer just using the classic design other then creating a completely new one or using the modern design. I just threw it out there for the possibility of it working. The more we stick to the roots, the better.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I could have sworn that except for one or two changes between games the Robotnik sprite was pretty much constant between them all.

Seems REALLY weird to try to throw in the more modern suit design, IMO.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Congratulations, the colors used in the Sonic shading are awsome =P. And to give a Sonic Unleashed look Sonic's white spots could be replaced with a lighter blue...

[​IMG]

But remember, I'm not suggesting this as an enhancement, only as a style option =P

Excelent work guys!

7. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
  8. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You can remove the yellow shade from the shoes, recolor th and put the lighter, I don't know =P. Or remove the spots completely.

10. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Yeah, I'm liking the Sonic so far, looks fantastic.
    And I'm all for keeping Robotnik's Genesis look and making a completely new sprite, cos' he's always had the same sprite essentially and it'd be nice to see a whole new one.

agreeing with OSM, we should keep the characters within the Classic period

11. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'm in agreement with test-object here guys, think. In the Genesis games, Robotnik is fat as fuck. Litaraly, an "egg". However, in the modern era, he lost a bit of his flop and banished the pajamas. I'm not suggesting we should go for modern Robotnik here, just a new sprite that looks similar, but still has old charatistics. Use your heads here; this would be in the era of the Saturn and Sonic Adventure was soon going to be in development with the Dreamcast. You would think Robotnik will be trying to get somewhat of a new fashion before his Sonic Adventure look.

EDIT: Grammar fix

12. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    The decision is really up to Chimpo, make something he approves of and we'll use it. That's it.

13. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    I see what you're saying, like... say, A Genesis eggman whose more standing up straight and a little more slim?
    I'm down with that idea

I used an advance sprite as a base, but here's my idea of what it might look like:
    [​IMG]

14. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
  15. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    After some of the recent edits I'm starting to like more OSM sprite, but I still think that it has a major problem, and now I'm sure of it.
    I took a look at the previous Sonic sprites and compared them to the classic one, and I noticed that both were wrong in some parts.
    The problem with the current sprite is and will always be the head. Look at this:
    [​IMG]
    OSM's head is too little, but chimpo's head too had a similar(althought opposite), problem. It took no more that a pair of minutes to make a head which is more similar to the classic one with slighty longer spikes. I just slapped it on OSM sprite. My point here is: Is there really no way to make a 25x20 pixels head?

But now I have a question to ask:
    <!--quoteo(post=273856:date=Jan 29 2009, 01:51 AM:name=OSM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OSM @ Jan 29 2009, 01:51 AM) [​IMG]
    Well, tell me.[/quote]
    Wait... I thought we where making a genesis styled game (and I think we are still doing it), but the characters must be based over their modern appearance and not their classic one?
    Sonic Advance 3 as a base for the animation?
    Modern Robotnik?
    So this is what we're aiming for the style?
    I'm a bit surprised by this, but if this is true then could someone confirm this please?

16. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
  17. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

While I'm in no way suggesting these should be used, as I'm not really good enough at spriting for the project, here's an Eggman I've been working on recently, based on some of DBurraki's versions. It's kind of a mixture of his proportions from the classics and the modern game, or at least that was what I was aiming for. Could provide some inspiration.

[​IMG]

18. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    I like it, except for the boots. :)
    I think we should here other opinions, not just mine.

19. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    That's a good sprite, and indeed, we're that one little step closer now

20. Matwek

Matwek

Basing the animation over sonic advance is purely from and animation stand point, just making sure to get the movement fluid, nothing to do with the design of the sprite.
    The new style robotnik sprites being posted are mearly suggestions so far but Im almost certain we will be using a re-design of the classic sprite, as that is what was done with the sonic one.