Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

That really makes it look much better! :psyduck:

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think his spikes are a bit too long in there.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    They're fine.

4. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Maybe it would be better to get on with the animating? you can mess with the idle pose anytime But you guys are stuck to this one animation so far. At some point you gotta stop fiddling and just get on with it. You cant please everyone

5. Machenstein

Machenstein

I'm starting to agree. It was fun experimenting with the idle sprite, but we should move on to other sprites for now. We can make the modifications later.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
  8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Chimpo, you seem less of an authority figure without your old avatar. :psyduck:

9. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I haven't been here for a while, so I started reading from page 15 (I have it set to 40 posts/page). I like Mach's and Cinossu's edit a lot, and I can see that maybe this might be the final, although we all know what happened the last time somebody said that.

<!--quoteo(post=273357:date=Jan 07 2009, 02:41 PM:name=Phoebius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phoebius @ Jan 07 2009, 02:41 PM) [​IMG]
    Like this? :P *hit* Sonic's spikes are just fine the length that they are.[/quote]
    This gives me a feeling of nostalgia.
    [​IMG]
    You get the idea.

<!--quoteo(post=272585:date=Jan 25 2009, 08:21 PM:name=OSM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OSM @ Jan 25 2009, 08:21 PM)
    [​IMG][​IMG][/quote]

Somebody has to change the mouth on this. It looks like he's going to drool any second.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No, they're too long for "classic Sonic".

Either that, or his head is too big.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    I said they're fine. Capiche?

12. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I apologize I'm taking awhile with the running cycle, it's taking a bit of time to get right. I'm using the Sonic Advance 3 sprites as a reference, but I hope to have it naturally evolve into one concise smooth running cycle instead of just switching sprites.

I would like some help, if anyone wants to volunteer. You just have to make a "skeleton" or wireframe of the running cycle, then I can do the rest by filling it in and adding the details. I'll post something up if I run into a road block again.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    I'll be glad to help you out. If you're using Graphics Gale, this should be easier.

Do you have what you have done available?

14. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]
    Well, tell me.

15. Ridiculum

Ridiculum

16. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Yeah... I don't really like the whole idea of giving Eggman that outfit. If you're going to give him a new suit, at least get creative with it - maybe a combination of the old and new Eggy's costumes. Think Eggman Nega or something. Though I honestly don't see what's wrong with regular oldschool Eggman. Also keep in mind that Genesis Eggman's proportions, much like Sonic's, are totally different than those in his post-SA design.

17. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I'd rather make a completely new Eggman sprite sticking to his Genesis origins. Sorry, but yours is no good and far too modern. It's a simple edit, which is something I thought we were trying to avoid with the graphics for this game.

I'm doing everything by scratch, and I'm pretty sure Chimpo and everyone else did the same as well. If you make your own sprite however, it's valid for use and discussion.

18. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    It was mentioned a few times before that this would be a bridge between 2d and 3d, I think, and to be honest; aren't we over Robotniks ridiculous pyjama-outfit yet? I'm gonna be honest and say that this design:

[​IMG]

beats this:

[​IMG]

As much as I hate the modern day Sonic games, Robotnik never looked better.
    However, if the majority disagrees, I'll adapt as much as needed.

19. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Maybe you should try fusing the two outfits together and see how that works?

20. Matwek

Matwek

Thats already been done with Sonic Advance.
    What we're basicly doing is wiping the slate clean and starting again post-S&K, its not a sequal, its not a prequal, its not "they should have done this", its simply a nostalgic tribute to the style and gameplay of the classic 2D era... So I say go with a redesign of the classic Robotnik in a similar way to whats been done with the redesign of the classic Sonic.