don't click here

Macfag needs help D:

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Galaxia, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, in advance.

Anyway, here's the situation, both my sister and I have MacBooks, presents off my uncle living in Switzerland. My MacBook had its hard drive replaced after a freak accident where it just totally wiped itself clean and wouldn't boot, and when the new one was put in, the file system was set to UNIX Case Sensitive. This basically means all the Adobe products I've "acquired" do not install correctly and don't run. Well, the only way to fix this is to reinstall the entire of OS X, of which I have no qualms about as most of my files are backed up, except iLife and iWork 08; they were put on my uncle before he left to Switzerland.

So here's the problem: can I copy over iLife and iWork 08 from my sister's MacBook to mine, and still use the same serial numbers? (we still have them, for precautionary measures) More importantly, can I even copy them across and still have them working? It's pretty important; all my college work uses Pages, iMovie and iPhoto, so without them, I'm fucked...

2. littlevish

littlevish

I believe you can use the same serial number multiple times. This is how it works with the operating system, so it should be the same with Apple produced software.

If the Macbook is within the last several years, I'm pretty sure iLife will be on your main OS X install disk, but you will have to reinsall iWork from those discs.

3. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Right okay, but I don't have iWork or iLife discs D:

My sister has both all on her mac, so if I copied across the applications, they'd still be usable as I have the correct codes and such, right?

4. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Yes, you can reuse the same serial multiple times. No, that's not how it works with the OS, the OS actually has no serial number at all (except for OS X Server, and even there you can reuse serials).

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Lostgame the macfag to the rescue!

...shit, I'm too late.

Well,

1) Get a rapidshare premium account.
    2) Visit www.codez4mac.com or www.macserialjunkie.com, register an account, and make 5 posts in the normal forums.
    3) Use the search feature to find what you're looking for.
    4) ????
    5) Profit!

6. HyperShadowDC

HyperShadowDC

Oldbie
    Hell, you don't even need to do that much... http://www.serialz.to/serialbox.html Serial Box to the rescue! All the serialz to any mac app without having to do the forum posting B/S

7. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    LOL I used that site to get some serials for Scrivener and Final Cut ;)

I've found a temporary work around until I can get Leopard off someone; using my Windows copy of CS2 via Crossover. Saving is slow as fuck, but it's better than nothing I guess.

8. RamiroR

RamiroR

Final Cut? oh, I want a PC version of it :'(

omg here I don't understand anything of what are you talking about _D

I want a Mac