don't click here

LOTS of New Sonic Xtreme Magazine scans ( some seen before)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    (EDITED:::: the whole first post)
    (MORE SCANS ADDED)

I have a bunch of old Gameing Magazines that I bought fresh off the news stands some years ago.
    Thought I'd post these scans here, some of which are new.
    While others have been scanned before, but there quality wasn't so hot.

....Currently can't find VOL 2 of Sonic's Red Shoe Diarys from Game Players issue #86
    .. also ,,,check out scan #18 for some metal sonic boss stage pics....

300 DPI SCANS ( for thoes who love high res)
    PART_01 DOWNLOAD NOW!
    PART_02 DOWNLOAD NOW!
    PART_03 DOWNLOAD NOW!

Low res Scans
    there's a total of 21 scans here... some of which may not load.
    EDIT: now with thumbnails
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

Looks to me like that turned into the Dreamcast, what with 3DFX and Virtua Fighter 3.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Heh, they even mention the new 3D engine from later builds. Thanks for the scans.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Updated first post with 21 new scans,
    couldn't find all the Magazines,,,, may have more later.

5. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    "Is Sonic into cross-dressing?"

"PanaSonic, Bubonic Sonic"

I had a hearty lol. Thanks for the scans! If you haven't done it yet, you should upload them to the wiki.

6. Wow those scans take me back. I remember reading those articles years ago. Sonic X-treme was a game I really wanted in my hands. Not to mention Sonic the Fighters was also slated to be released on the Saturn aswell but was never released until Gems Collection.

I really hope one day Sega releases a true Sonic Franchise Collection and include Sonic X-treme.

7. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    If only. That and SegaSonic the Hedgehog Arcade.

I read about the development hell that the team working on Sonic X-Treme (STI amirite?) had to go through on GamesRadar. Back when it was just Sonic Mars, not even Yuji Naka had faith in the game, but that didn't stop much of the team. Then later poor management led to one of the main designers to quit outright, leaving the rookie Chris Senn to take his place. Just reading about how much sweat, blood, and tears was poured into the game only for it to be canceled makes a guy's blood boil. It's the same thing as Duke Nukem Forever's development, only shorter and more hellish probably.

I think it would've been a great game. Interesting at the least. I'm sure any unreleased game that never ended up coming out would look as much, though, kinda like Dinosaur Planet before it became Star Fox Adventures. In any case, I really liked the spin-slash move and the fish-eye lense engine, as well as the mega-trippy Space Queens theme. It's a damn shame Chris Senn put an end to Project S. Good thing I downloaded his entire site and anything else that came up since then.

Thanks for all the scans, Andrew75. Ya made an internet packrat happy.

8. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Off topic, but wow it's hard to remember a time when someone could get away with charging $64 for Donkey Kong County 3.

9. JDAdams

JDAdams

Yes, the price sure has come down

10. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Oh God... SpinDash-puns? Somewhere, I'm glad this didn't ever exist.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Something I find interesting:

"Any Sonic is Good Sonic - 45%. Accept NO Substitutes - 54%."

I mean, apart from the fact that they don't add up to 100%, I think this is clear proof that the fanbase has been divided for a LONG time.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Re-reading these pages has made me excited for X-Treme and everything the Saturn had in store for it all over again. I really can't express how disillusioned this whole saga has left me. There's a hole in my heart that no console or game will ever fill.

Also, Fighting Vipers placing second in Ultra GP's Top Ten? Fucking kickass.

It's about time. It was doomed right from the start, but it's still painful, having to watch this wonderful man discover firsthand that he's been dealing with one of the most untalented and unappreciative fandoms on the net. Mind linking to where he made the announcement?

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I remember some of the old websites Gameplayers.com, saturnworld.com, segaxtreme.com
    And some of the other saturn and other console websites that were set up as a web-ring looking type thing.
    I think they finaly became the IGN.com of today.
    at least I think segaxtreme.com was one of the sites, I really can't remember clearly.
    Anyone remember some more of the sites?

EDIT....
    added some pics
    Saturn world 1997
    [​IMG][/url]

IGN December 1998
    [​IMG]

Back when Online gaming sites were fun !

14. So... Does this mean that once I find my copy of the old story they were using while I was on the team, and everything else including the new characters they came up with, I can release it and no one will care?

I remember something about the Death Egg being a transformer and a character Robotnik made called Arioso who was a cyborg hedgehog referencing Mega Man's Bass character.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    More Xtreme media!
    Well this one is Sonic jam but it mentions Xtreme...
    [​IMG]

And sort of shows how its connected to imagine networks. ( the web-ring before IGN)
    [​IMG]

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    If Sonic Xtreme came out, I most likely would have got a Saturn when I was a kid, and not for my 19th birthday. It's sad that it was cancelled, it would have been a really awesome game to play.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    hmmm you guys know what??
    I remember seeing Sonic Xtreme pictures on the net back in 1996 and 97 that we don't have today.
    I really cant seem to find any in http://web.archive.org.

If anyone wants to help look for lost Xtreme media, than please by all means!

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Certainly. http://sonicstadium.org/news/chris-senn-cancels-project-s

http://www.senntient.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=22219

Apparently he only intends (intended?) to release a piece of what Project S accumulated during the time it was active.

@Andrew75: You can find pretty much all of what was left of Sonic X-Treme here: http://projectsonic.strangled.net/xtreme/index.php

It says "Project Sonic", but I'm not sure if what's there is what "Project S" accumulated while it was active.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thats not everything, theres more, in fact I have a bunch of stuff that isn't even on that site.
    Some of which I shared with Senntient forums some time ago.

As for the lost media that was floating around on the net in 96 and 97 on older gaming websites. I haven't seen it in years.
    Its got to be out there somewhere. perhaps sitting in someones temporary Internet files on some old computer. ^__^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.