don't click here

Looking to buy a budget HD video recorder.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Willie, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I plan to start a review series and do other stuff with YouTube and need to get some kind of an HD recorder for consistent quality. The current best type of video recorder I own is a camera phone recorder and the quality is not good by any means. I imagine video quality like this would look really jarring with game footage this high quality. I was initially thinking about buying the Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) Video Camera along with these accessories. I also discovered the Swann Freestyle Video Camera today and it looks pretty decent as well. Biggest concern I have with both cameras are sound issues and a lack of focusing options. From what I gather, it seems both cameras only do auto-focusing which could be a problem. Not to mention both cameras seem to have sound issues and don't allow people to implement microphones. Here are some things I want out of video camera.

-Records in 1080p so it's consistent in resolution with my other video quality.
    -Can be placed on my desk.
    -I definitely need a small stand. A larger stand would be really nice too, but it's nowhere near as important for my purposes.
    -Either having the sound quality be better than my Logitech Desktop Microphone or being able to install a mic to the camera would be very helpful. (Note: My Logitech mic was $20 two years ago.) I want the sound quality in my videos to be consistent so either of those options would be great. Alternatively, I could always have my mic record audio onto my computer and just sync it up with my recorded video. Not ideal, but a solution I'm willing to tolerate for most of my videos. However, I would need to be able to rely on my video camera's sound at some instances so if the audio is beyond poor quality, then that would be a major problem.
    -Having more focusing options than just auto-focus would be incredibly nice. Not mandatory, but it's a desirable option.
    -Has to be affordable. If I were to go with either the Kodak camera + accessories or Swann Freestyle camera, it'll definitely have serious consequences to my financial situation because I'm on a serious budget. At the same time, I absolutely need a better way to record video for what I want to accomplish so I need to be willing to spend more than I'd like to. Cameras like a GoPro are just way out of my limited budget.

Any suggestions and feedback will be highly appreciated.

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Really the best way to do it for audio would be to get a decent separate mic and sync the visuals and audio together later. Chances are you won't get a terribly good sound out of a microphone built into a camera. I tend to use an audio/visual cue to make it much easier to sync up, for example in a game review, "and I am pressing the Start button in 3,2,1 now." USB mics are relatively cheap and are starting to be a viable alternative for these kind of projects.

Pretty much everything will record in 1080p these days, but having a good quality lens is important.

What kind of things will you be filming? Just static you talking to the camera or more film like moving about stuff?

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Mostly for static stuff, but being able to move it around at times would be necessary.