don't click here

Looking for opinions on which graphics card to get

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Hitaxas, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Ok, this is supposed to be a gift to me from my girlfriend (I'm doing the research because she wouldn't know how, she is a console girl with hardly any PC knowledge). However, I hate when she spends money on me... Thus I am looking to get the best card for the lowest price possible. That puts me in the $75 USD range.
    Keep in mind this is to replace my ancient GeForce 8600 GT, which bit the dust just days before X-Mas... So any option is good, but I want the best I can get for my price range.

So far I have been looking into these two cards, the GeForce GT 520 and the GeForce GT 430.

Between those two, the better choice would be the 430, because of the fact it has double the bandwidth the 520 on it... correct? The 430 has a lower core clock speed but double the stream processors.

So far, as you can see I have my eyes set on the GeForce GT 430.

What do you all think? Should I go with the 430, or get something else? I am rather partial to NVIDIA brand cards, and not sure if I should stay that way.

Halp me? :v:

Edit: I forgot to mention my current MoBo supports PCi Express, not 2.0/2.1 However I have read that does not prevent a PCi Express 2.0 card from being used on it, correct?

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131440

$75? 6670 will be by far the best thing you can do in that price range.

3. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Will the card work on a normal pci express x16? If so, I might be sold on that.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Check the details tab =P

5. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    2.1/2.0 are backwards-compatible for the most part; even if you have a 1.0 motherboard you should be fine, the card will just use the bandwidth on offer.

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

As long as I am getting the max out of my machine, that will be fine until I can upgrade to a better MoBo. Thank you Afti. :)