don't click here

Looking for a Hi-Res Chaos Mural

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Screwdriver, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    [​IMG]

That's the highest resolution I've managed to find (and it's on this site even!) but I'm looking for something bigger.

I understand it might be hard to find because that's probably as big as the texture gets in the game files.

Perhaps, though, someone could pull off a hi-res screenshot of the mural in-game where it's stretched pretty nicely, or maybe someone's optomized it for a bigger version.

Anyway, if anyone could help I would appreciate it greatly.

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Given the nature of raster graphics, you'll need the services of an artist. Simply resizing it won't get you any new detail. In fact it'll look pretty ugly.

3. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Yep, no good way to scale this one. It's not like shape approximation algorithms like scale2x will work, the colors are too inconsistent from one pixel to the next to home in on anything.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If that texture comes from the Dreamcast original, there's still a possibility that Sonic Adventure DX had a slightly higher-res version of it, I guess?

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    There are a few artists on Retro who might be fully capable of painting over this at a high enough resolution for a large poster print. Not offering to do it personally, mind -- but some good-natured scribbler may do it, if motivated. :)

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I took it from the PC version.

7. What's the resolution on the opening video? The mural is displayed split-second near the end.

8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    Unfortunate that I'll need an artist. Thanks for the advice guys.

K2J: Hey, that's an idea. I think I'll go look that up.

EDIT:
    Unfortunately, the image lost a bit of quality in the video. I took a screenshot and tried squaring it up, but it still doesn't look as good.
    [​IMG]

Edit again:
    Oh, it seems that the one in the video isn't stretched, as there's more detail to the left and right of the image than there is in the texture found in-game.
    Here's it straight from the video.

[​IMG]

9. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Generally a bad idea. Then not only are you dealing with low resolution artwork (the video couldn't be more than 480p, and it probably just uses the same texture blown up since it's done in motion anyway), you are also dealing with video compression.

I'd say your best bet is to blow it up and then hit it with Corel Painter. But it isn't easy.

10. I tried Live Tracing it in Illustrator, but that looked abysmal.

No way I'm doing something with that much detail manually.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I think the only way you'll find someone to work on this would be on a commission, I doubt you'll get anyone willing to do it for free.