LOL weird-ass Sonic CD glitch

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by n00neimp0rtant, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Meh, I thought this was pretty weird. Sonic appears to be stuck on an invisible slope and can walk up and down it. Not quite sure how this happened.

[​IMG]

<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Save state: <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?wmzdydzdmiz" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/?wmzdydzdmiz</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    I was using the latest build of Kega Fusion and US BIOS v2.

2. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Geez, all he needs is an armband with a swastika and a 20-foot-tall statue of Hitler. :v:

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy. Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Hacking Sonic Drift, Writer at Sonic Cage Dome
    [​IMG]

:v: He's not even on the ledge, this happened after I got hit by the saw.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Those exact same bugs also happen in Sonic 1.

5. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    <!--quoteo(post=382725:date=Dec 9 2009, 01:49 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Dec 9 2009, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=382725">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those exact same bugs also happen in Sonic 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marble Zone moving blocks IIRC?

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, I remember it happening to me in Scrap Brain many times, not sure if it happens in other levels.

7. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    <!--quoteo(post=382747:date=Dec 9 2009, 10:33 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Dec 9 2009, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=382747">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I remember it happening to me in Scrap Brain many times, not sure if it happens in other levels.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->O RLY? SRSLY, KENT B

Care to share a save state if it ever happens again? Relative to my interests.

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    <!--quoteo(post=382743:date=Dec 9 2009, 07:17 AM:name=Enzo Aquarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enzo Aquarius @ Dec 9 2009, 07:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=382743">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=382725:date=Dec 9 2009, 01:49 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Dec 9 2009, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=382725">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those exact same bugs also happen in Sonic 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marble Zone moving blocks IIRC?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Oddly enough it never happened to me in Sonic 1s Marble Zone, but did in Megamixs Dark Fortress Zone :psyduck:

9. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I can't try that savestate since I don't have Sonic CD with me right now, but if it's what I think it is, there's a flag that essentially can make Sonic "float." I can't remember right off the top of my head all the things it was used for, but I can say that it is used to make him lean over a ledge without falling. I played with the flag a lot in Sonic 2 savestates when I was writing the player code in ProSonic. You can set the slope value, and Sonic will be stuck at that angle, even though he's not even on a platform.

Anyway, my guess is the saw turned the flag on when you hit it in order to bounce Sonic backwards, but for some reason it didn't get turned back off when Sonic landed. It's hard to say exactly what caused it.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Ice Cap Zone in Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) has the same thing, caused by Tails breaking an ice block while you're standing on it.

11. How did the glitch I would like to know but first after I try the save state.

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=383561:date=Dec 10 2009, 11:45 PM:name=TrueSilverWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueSilverWolf @ Dec 10 2009, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=383561">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did the glitch I would like to know but first after I try the save state.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sorry, come again?

13. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    <!--quoteo(post=383561:date=Dec 11 2009, 04:45 AM:name=TrueSilverWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueSilverWolf @ Dec 11 2009, 04:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=383561">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How did the glitch I would like to know but first after I try the save state.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He mentioned in his post that he doesn't know how he did it. Saxman's theory is plausible, but unconfirmed in the situation presented. Also, please try to use some proper grammar.

14. Skaarg

Skaarg

<!--quoteo(post=382725:date=Dec 9 2009, 07:49 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Dec 9 2009, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=382725">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those exact same bugs also happen in Sonic 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gee makes you wonder if Sonic CD was built from Sonic 1?? :specialed:

I've never had this happen to me in Sonic CD, but happened a few times in Sonic 1 such as the MZ blocks mentioned earlier.

15. Vangar

Vangar

Im sure it would use the same base engine. You know, save budget wise. It would be a bad move not to share base code financially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.