don't click here

Loading Music Onto Another's iPod

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by SoNick, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Hello there!
    Recently I purchased Linkin Park's Living Things album through Amazon's download service for a very close friend of mine, and I am interested in helping her move it to her iPod. I do not have any firmware information; all she has told me is that it is a 32GB model of some sort.
    Currently she is using it for a few small things that she would really rather not have deleted, but from everything I've read online my best bet is to use iTunes to transfer the songs over. In Apple's infinite stupidity, they have decided that "synching" your Music Library between your computer and your portable music player is the only option for consumers (despite it being a rather terrible solution!), and doing so from a PC that does not have the contents of the iPod currently on it will erase said contents on iPod as part of the "Synch" operation. I also have a few other things I would like to transfer to the iPod for her as well; mostly opening themes from Japanese cartoons and video games.

My question is thus: Is there any way I can copy this music to her iPod without erasing the content she already has on it? Google searches have suggested that there is -something- involving creating a custom playlist, disabling automatic synch, and then only synching across the playlist. However, as I have no Apple products of my own I cannot do a test run with unimportant data so I'm turning to you all for confirmation that this method works! Are there any details that I'm missing? Are there any little things - no matter how obvious they seem - that I should watch out for?

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    That method does work yes, I don't think you even need a playlist, instead of clicking automatic sync, click "Choose which songs go onto my iPod" or whatever it is, and then you just drag and drop, you'll have to double check this though, as I haven't used iTunes in ages. But why not just add the tracks to her iTunes and sync it from there?

Have Linkin Park stopped sucking then?

3. Ah, I didn't provide this detail but I cannot simply add the music to her iTunes library because she lives about two hours away; I plan on copying the music to her iPod when she's here to visit in a few days. In any case, thanks for the information!

Oh, and this new album is good yes! Skyler from this forum linked me to a video containing the full album on Youtube and I enjoyed it, which is something that I really can't say for the band's past two albums! There was an Amazon link in the video's description so I decided to pick it up! One conversation with the girl I mentioned above and she wanted it too, along with the other music I mentioned.

4. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    1. Manage manually. Disk manage. Both iPods.
    2. Drag and drop.

5. I didn't get a chance to actually run through it myself as she forgot her [proprietary Apple connection type]-USB cable, but I do have iTunes installed and automatic sync disabled, so everything should be fine when I see her next!
    Thank you for the help, Caniad Bach and Chibisteven!

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    iPhones and iPod touches don't have disk mode, so if it's an iPod touch (and the 32GB remark implies that it is), Chibisteven's method won't work.

http://www.I-funbox.com/

This is a free program that will let you access the filesystem of an iPod touch (or iPhone or iPad) and copy the music from it.