List of hacks with address error

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sik, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Can you help me make a list of hacks that work in most emulators but crash in real hardware because of an address error exception? I know a shitload of hacks have this issue, but I'd like to make a list of them. And yes, include hacks that have this issue fixed but had it in older releases.

EDIT: yes, I mean the word/long access in an odd address error =P

2. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    <Thorn> I don't remember if it's an address error, but I know the latest public S2SMTP won't load the first boss on Kega but will on Gens
    <Thorn> so at least in some sense, one of the two is emulating incorrectly

Worth checking out, at the least.

3. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Largo, FL
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    Sonic 2: S3 Edition
    All releases I believe.
    I haven't checked but Sonic 2 tag team probably does as well.

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=595724:date=Jun 15 2011, 03:20 PM:name=Thorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thorn @ Jun 15 2011, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=595724">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><Thorn> I don't remember if it's an address error, but I know the latest public S2SMTP won't load the first boss on Kega but will on Gens
    <Thorn> so at least in some sense, one of the two is emulating incorrectly

Worth checking out, at the least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I honestly don't know whats up with that... Works fine on Gens and Kega for me...

5. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Russia
    Sonic Warped
    Sonic Brother Trouble 0.5
    Crashes on Regen when you exit Sound Test menu. Seems to be an Address error, I'm not completely sure though.

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Neither vanilla Gens or Fusion emulates Address Error. Regen does and probably Gens/GS does too

7. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    <!--quoteo(post=595674:date=Jun 15 2011, 02:33 PM:name=Sik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sik @ Jun 15 2011, 02:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=595674">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you help me make a list of hacks that work in most emulators but crash in real hardware because of an address error exception? I know a shitload of hacks have this issue, but I'd like to make a list of them. And yes, include hacks that have this issue fixed but had it in older releases.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sonic 2: Heroes from v0.01 to v0.04.

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    <!--quoteo(post=595937:date=Jun 16 2011, 07:33 AM:name=TmEE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TmEE @ Jun 16 2011, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=595937">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Neither vanilla Gens or Fusion emulates Address Error. Regen does and probably Gens/GS does too<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gens/GS doesn't (yet). CPU emulation is mostly the same as Gens, but I added mostly-working support for the STOP instruction in the Main68K core in Gens/GS II.

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    ...then how do games like Thunder Force IV (stop #$2500 everywhere) work in Gens/GS r7? Unless you mean the other stop options?

<a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=15930&view=findpost&p=327047" target="_blank">also</a> <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=15930&view=findpost&p=327491" target="_blank">oops!</a>

10. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Misfit
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    My own hack... Sonic 1 Harder Levels. Because the way that how the aligned samples driver works, it crashes just after the Sega screen in a real hardware.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    <!--quoteo(post=595981:date=Jun 16 2011, 11:49 AM:name=Andlabs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andlabs @ Jun 16 2011, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=595981">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...then how do games like Thunder Force IV (stop #$2500 everywhere) work in Gens/GS r7? Unless you mean the other stop options?

<a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=15930&view=findpost&p=327047" target="_blank">also</a> <a href="http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=15930&view=findpost&p=327491" target="_blank">oops!</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The STOP instruction might not actually be required. Can you test Thunder Force IV in Gens/GS II to see if there's any behavior differences?

Jorge's test ROM used STOP to wait for VBlank, so the program ran way too fast without proper STOP emulation.

12. Another one that I have problems with in real hardware is:

The S Factor - Sonia and Silva - Sometimes it will crash on the first stage after entering the giant ring on Stage 1 Act 1.

And the other crash is at the street level (I forget the name). Believe it is act 2.

As soon as you get to a certain point, the game locks up, and an error appears on screen. No amount of pressing the C button will get passed it.

There was another hack that I was going to mention, nut I honestly can't remember which one it was. I shall add more to the list when I get a chance.

Hopefully this is the type of errors you are reffering to!

13. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    Sonic 1 Lunacy works in Fusion, but not on Regen/Real Hardware.

14. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    Let's put a list up in here, shall we?

<ul>Hacks that don't work on Real Hardware/Regen:</li><li>Sonic 2: S3 Edition</li><li>Sonic Brother Trouble 0.5</li><li>Sonic 1 Harder Levels</li><li>The S Factor</li><li>Sonic 1 No-Name

Make sure that your hack doesn't land on this list, because after other emulators get more accurate you will be screwed. Thanks in advance!</li></ul>

I added Sonic 1 No-Name as it crashes after pressing start in Regen.

I must say that the Regen's CPU emulation is accurate, but it doesn't emulate a VDP bug that appears on the leftmost edge in Gynoug (And if I remember correctly, Donmark F1).

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    <!--quoteo(post=601671:date=Jul 2 2011, 02:54 PM:name=TomoAlien)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TomoAlien @ Jul 2 2011, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=601671">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must say that the Regen's CPU emulation is accurate, but it doesn't emulate a VDP bug that appears on the leftmost edge in Gynoug (And if I remember correctly, Donmark F1).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->And that bug is also missing on model 3 VA2 boards, meaning you can't even rely on it in real hardware...

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    Explain. I'm pretty sure it works on both although with sound issues. (Especially since I had it tested before the public build came out)

17. TomoAlien

TomoAlien

Poland
    I added it to the list as he said that it didn't work correctly on the hardware: