don't click here

Linkara Reviewed "Sonic Live"

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dr. Mecha, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
  2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    He should review the two part issue with the...Galactic Freedeom Fighters.

I don't remember what issues they were at the moment.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member

I believe they're #103 and 104, but it's been a while.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Yeah. It's #103 and #104.

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

It has to be the Image Comics crossover. It fits in perfectly with his other stuff, and he just got done pretty much saying he'd need a good reason to review one right before he revealed he's going to. A crossover with some comics he knows at least something about seems like a pretty good reason, especially after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Meets Archie review from a few months ago.

That, and it was a pretty bad issue.

6. Erinaceus

Erinaceus

I'm Hamilton Member
    I gotta disagree about that. I thought it was kinda fun to read. And people forget, with the clash of the Universes of Sonic and Image, that the most awesome thing about that issue by far were "Wolf Scolder" and "Lana Mully"!

The consensus for the likeliest candidates for his show are SSS#7 and Sonic Live. The main series is just too inaccessible for a professed ignorant outsider like Linkara, and despite what the comics most ardent detractors claim, the main series really isn't that bad. Even in the "dorkest" hours of the Ken Penders/Karl Bollers run, it wasn't "Linkara-Worthy". Sure, it's had some bad artists working on it (And Ron Lim's work has been featured in a couple AT4Ws), it's up-its-own-ass with continuity and commits frequent continuity goofs... but those are problems endemic to any long running comic book.

So yeah, considering the compatibility of the characters and how and why the crossover was produced (as a gift from Jim Valentino to his kids!), SSS#7 is probably the easiest and most accessible Sonic-related fodder out there for Linkara to mock (but personally I'd much rather he trash Sonic Live).

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Ron Lim has cool artwork. :colbert:

8. Erinaceus

Erinaceus

I'm Hamilton Member
    Maybe so... but he couldn't draw anthropomorphic creatures for shit.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Even when I was little reading the comics I couldn't stand Ron Lim's artwork. Everyone always looked like long-armed drones. I wouldn't be surprised if one of his issues was one he chose.

And to be honest, Karl Bollers was a decent writer. I think he would have had much superior stuff were it not for the weight of Pender's "continuity" crushing him. His stories still hold as some of my favorite issues.

If anything, it'll be Sonic Live, Freedom Fighters of the Galaxy or the miserable run from #110-121. Something tells me he'll go after some of the more "soap opera" issues because of such a bad fit it is. Either that or the Sonic Adventure adaption. Even if you haven't played the game, the holes between sequences is still jarring and barely coherent.

10. Erinaceus

Erinaceus

I'm Hamilton Member
    Yeah, I always thought Karl got too little credit for his run. A lot of fans hold issues 25-50 (the era where the comic started taking itself a little more seriously up towards Endgame) to be the best span of issues, but in my opinion, I preferred Karl's run from #55-75 (where they fleshed out Sonic's world, and introduced some new villains, culminating with Eggman replacing Robotnik Prime). That was where Ken was busy with Knuckles, and it was here where Karl seemed to enjoy the most creative freedom during his tenure.

And then Sonic Adventure happened.

But I personally don't think Sonic Adventure is going to be his selection. Or the "Furry Soap" era. Those "eras" require more intimate knowledge of the comic, and Linkara already stated he has no interest in delving into that. So I personally think he will go for the lower-hanging fruit that is the one-shot specials.

11. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I've always wanted him to do the Endgame arc, but he probably wouldn't. To be honest, though, the only reason is because it has the dumbest retcon since TIMEGUNS.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    When was Endgame retconned?

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Ian's been trying to say Robotnik Prime and Robo-Robotnik (current) are pretty much one in the same, negating what happened in Endgame.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What the fuck is his problem?

First he's trying to say that there are two Robo-Robotniks and now he's trying say that they are all one in the same? DESPITE THE FACT THAT Robotnik Prime EVEN CAME BACK FOR A LITTLE WHILE!?

WHAT THE FUCK IS HIS PROBLEM!?

Not only that but he's reading all the issues out of order for his Data Book.

15. Tylinos

Tylinos

Uh, what? No he's not. He's always said that Robo-Robotnik/Eggman is from the alternate future seen in issue 22, just as it's always been.

A little proof, if needed, from July:
    http://www.archiecomics.com/blog/sonic_uni...thyself-13.html
    http://www.archiecomics.com/blog/sonic_uni...yself-13-1.html
    http://www.archiecomics.com/blog/sonic_uni...botnik-v20.html

First says Robotnik Prime died in Endgame, second and third say Robo-Robotnik/Eggman came from an alternate future.

Only way he's said they're "pretty much one in the same" is saying that their history is the same up to a point, but diverges before Endgame. Which is pretty much what was already implied anyway.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

I think I saw it somewhere on his site where someone (I assumed it was Ian, but it very easily could be someone else I can't remember) was saying they were running him together. Not that it matters much anyway, they haven't mentioned that era in a long time. It may as well have not have happened with the way the story's gone now; it's a shame they didn't run with it, but it's kind of a relief to see how Ian's streamlined everything. Makes for a less cluttered story and I'll be curious to see where else he takes it.

17. Tylinos

Tylinos

A long time? The whole Robotnik Prime thing was talked about in the comics just a year and a half ago.

18. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Actually, I was talking about the retcons IN Endgame.

You know, the whole "Sonic mask that makes people look like Snively" bullshit.

19. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Kazeblade, you misread Ian. When he says Robotnik Prime and Robo-Robotnik are one and the same he means, basically, Robo-Robotnik also had all that war backstory and that he has as much motivation to conquer and basically that the other characters aren't constantly thinking "This isn't Robotnik, it's a robotic version of another zone!". To an extent- they're the same character- Robotnik of the House of Kintobor, ex-Warlord, Snively's uncle, enemy of Sonic, etc.

20. Erinaceus

Erinaceus

I'm Hamilton Member
    Well... Here is his review:

100th Episode

+ - It's Sonic Live  

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.