don't click here

Levels & Items Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes, I know that the staff is making a good job with the quality control, so that's a relief.

I know it's really hard to please everyone, and there has been much confusion as to what "adding detail" means. Some see this as an opportunity to unleash their wildest dreams on what a Sonic game should be/look like, and that the project is too conservative. The problem with that is that each person has different wild dreams of what a Sonic game should be like, and we will hardly be able to agree on something.

But we all like Sonic 2 (even though it's not necessarily everyone's favorite, I for example would rather be HDfying Sonic 1) so the closest we stick to it, the better the chance everyone will like it. IMO, artists don't have to be purists, but they must be able to see when something just doesn't fit.

2. Oh noes the thread exploded! :psyduck:

I think that it's the right idea, wrong execution thing. From what I'm hearing from others, I think most people are in agreement that there's too much glow and that it's too distracting for what is essentially a background element. I think, however, that they are emeralds and that they should blink in some manner similar to the game. I'm sure there will be a compromise. :)

3. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    like I tell you guys before, just throwing a random concept I would like, but that-s why Im the shiny things guy hahaha

...Oh well, except shiny badniks at least with nice contrast.

4. rctneil

rctneil

[​IMG]

^ This, too me, the crystals stand out way too much and are too bright. They need to be tone down much more.

Regards,
    Neil

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I'd make the front face of the platform bigger to match the original sprite.

Otherwise, without examining it too closely, it looks fine.

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    If you mean what I think you mean, then I agree as well. I think also the reason why the 'depth' of the original sprite looks fine is because there's a very dark line running across the bottom of the platform; I'm not sure how it works out fine really, it just.. does.

This is what I (or we) mean here:
    [​IMG]

- added the dark line running along the the bottom
    - what's 'circled' needs (IMO) to be moved further down.

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I'm not sure which version I like more, but I think I might like the first version more simply because it has more depth to it.

[​IMG]

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That one looks a lot more similar to the original platform. The first one is okay, but the side is way too high up and makes the rest of it look awkward.

10. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

I think it makes more sense to look at the edges as being beveled edges rather than the sides of the platform. That said, I think the bottom surface of the platform should just peek out a little, taking up no more than 2 pixels height-wise. And of course, match the color of this bottom edge to the original sprite.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

I like the last one better, actually.

13. I preferred that last one too.

14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I agree, this looks much better now - good job.

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    For what it's worth, I think this one is the best.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Agreed.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Well I guess we'll use that one, then. If anyone has any major complaints voice them now.

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The shadows look kind of sharp to me. Like the grass is bleeding.

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, I may lighten up the shadows or something later. I just wanted to get the grass and the block shape done, since that's the hardest part.

20. Looks sweet to me, but if you're looking for complaints, I'll have to complain that I don't have an interactive environment to properly judge it in right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.