don't click here

Levels & Items Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Very impressive improvements there. The secondary layer with the additional checkboard adds quite a bit of depth to it, quite a nice touch. I'm not so keen on having the miniature pattern on the top 'leaves' though. I'm feeling those portions need to be solid, along the lines of ICE's suggestion. Lastly, what's the community opinion on adding a new layer to better transition from the trunk base to the bush itself? It's workable as it is, but it's also very sudden. Maybe more of the second layer with increased opacity on the pointed section of it?

2. Sciz

Sciz

I need to darken the shading at the top of the trunk in general, especially right there at the transition line. Watch this space.

(and the rest of you, comment. There's something like ten times as many people reading this board as there are people posting, not even counting the lurkers, and tricky pieces like this can use as many ideas and viewpoints as possible.)

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  4. Sciz

Sciz

One with ICEknight's concept, one with the checkers removed:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

<!--quoteo(post=269338:date=Jan 17 2009, 04:53 PM:name=LOst)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LOst @ Jan 17 2009, 04:53 PM) [​IMG]

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  6. Sciz

Sciz

Just an example to show what it looks like. I prefer the look of it all in front, personally. ;p

7. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    How does that bush look with the existing levelart at 4x?

8. Sciz

Sciz

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    My god, that pic looks truly awesome.

About the bush, I think it looks a little better with everything in front.

12. Sciz

Sciz

If ICEknight is impressed, we must be doing something right. :(

I wish I had some badniks handy to throw in there as well, but overall the updated art is remarkably consistent. And I suspect that Emerald Hill will ultimately prove to be the most difficult zone to remaster, so from my point of view the future is bright.

Also, I need people to vote for which corner leaves the bush should use.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I vote for this version.
    [​IMG]

I think it's almost flawless, except perhaps for the shading at the bottom of the trunk.

14. Sciz

Sciz

You'll never see the bottom, since grass is always in front of it.

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  16. Sciz

Sciz

Shapes based on sonica's work, with additions from Vincent and myself. Shading mine. Still looks kind of flat, but I'm too tired of looking at it right now to care.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blocks are placeholder, shadows not even started yet. Background still incomplete to my knowledge.

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    We're about to start the work on actual tiles, and estabilish the uber look:

1[​IMG]
    2[​IMG]
    3[​IMG]
    4[​IMG]

(ignore the repated tiles, just feedback on the grass and feel free to make mockups!) :(

18. Sciz

Sciz

Seriously guys, we need feedback. Not just on this, but all of our art. Even one comment can help us determine what we're doing right or wrong, but seeing so many people reading the board and finding dead silence in the topics themselves is starting to irk me. I don't care if you have any artistic skill of your own (though it's a plus), just tell us what you like, or if there are several variations, which one you prefer.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I have absolutely no qualms with any of the art you've posted so far. Rest assured that I'll comment if I have any significant issues. :argh:

20. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    <!--quoteo(post=270469:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:14 PM:name=Sciz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sciz @ Jan 20 2009, 08:14 PM) [​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.