don't click here

Level art contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Rika Chou, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Shorten the tree's leaves then it'll be perect. Flowers are perfect.

2. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The tree's leaves look a little deformed. Fix that and it will be awesome. Very Sonic CD-esque.

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Yeah, I agree about fixing up the tree's leaves a little - it either needs that big leaf shortening or an extra, small leaf added underneath it (and yes, I am aware that the top of the tree is modified from the Turquoise Hill trees, and to be honest I didn't think it looked right there either. =P).

Flowers fit in perfectly, though. ^^

Also, on a slight update, I haven't forgotten about working on my Zone concept, though like I said I haven't had much time within the last few weeks due to University projects. =P I have made some progress in fleshing it out a bit, though, so expect an update on Sunday (or Monday at the latest), since I have the entire weekend and the subsequent month relatively free.

Things should progress a lot faster after this week's over.

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Hmm..

I didn't really want to mess with the leafs, because it's how you said "modified from the Turquoise Hill trees". Turquoise Hill Zone was always one of my favorites, so this was kinda like a tribute to that overlooked level.

I'll play around with it and see what I can do. Also, what about the flowers?

5. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    [​IMG]

This is a very early version of my level. Its gonna be a space-baseish zone. I need to add an earth or other planet down below and put a bit more objects on the zone to liven it up a bit.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Since they look quite simple, I'd add some variety to them either presenting them in many different colors or alternating between these flowers and different ones (preferably bigger so they stand out more). Also, I'd make them move a little, either making them wobble, or grow up and down or something.

I'm fine with the palmtrees. And by the way, when putting them in the level remember that you can get at least four different palmtrees with those graphics!

7. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I noticed there seems to be a line of pixels missing right across the tree trunk. It's got what looks like a blue strip across it, which I can only guess is the water showing through. Might wanna look into that. It's not far up from the grass.

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Where do the clouds originally come from?

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Are you implying that I cannot draw clouds?

They originally come from one of the best Genesis games, Puyo Puyo.

Edit: Well I guess technically it's a mega drive game.

10. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I love the flowers and clouds, and I'll just get used to the trees. They aren't bad, but I prefer the original Sonic 1 trees.

11. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    I think the trees look nice. Something nice and different. I'd say leave em be. The flowers look fine too.

12. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    My only gripe is that the trees look a bit short, but that's really unimportant, it looks great anyway.

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I am implying that this contest should have original art and not taken from another game, just like you said in the first posts :P

Then I know you are not part of the contest.

Drawing clouds is one of the biggest Sonic dev challenges. It's very hard and should be taken seriously.

14. Eli White

Eli White

I never said that.

Anyway, those clouds may very well be place holders. I have been trying hard for a while to draw my own sonic style clouds, but it's hard. I've been using those *for now* because I haven't had the time to come up with anything better. (I would need to have a few hours of free time, to say the least.)

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    LOst, don't bitch at Rika for his art now. I'd honestly like to see you do better.

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    It might be a good idea to find a picture of real clouds and edit them for some good cloud graphics.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hmmm...would you like me to do something with your Aqua Planet Zone tiles?? (Note though that this will probably also end up in my hack, since I wouldn't let good Sonic Chaos tiles go to waste.)

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I am probably going to abandon that Zone. You can use the tiles as if they are your own. (they really aren't to good anyways, since I left a lot of MCZ in there. By my standards today, I could do much better.)

19. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Looks rather Game Gear-ish... Perhaps try making the grass thicker, adding some more variety (To make it look like a ruined Utopia, perhaps add some Ruins?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.