don't click here

Level 0 - Badniks

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Chimpo, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I don't like the explosion idea myself. I rather just have him on top jumping on the tree.

Destroying it would be a quick reaction thing.

See Monkey -> OH SHI- -> Jump/Roll At It -> Did It Hit? -> Yes -> You Win!

2. Matwek

Matwek

could use it to create a more random element of gameplay. They either jump out of your way into the tree as you run past or they jump down from the tree to hit you.

Edit: When I say random I don't mean random as in different locations each time you play. I mean like the grasshoppers of MGZ where some would jump over you and others would burst from the ground and hit you, although with the monkey jumping up or down his position would alternate each time you pass without killing him.

3. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
  4. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Simultaniously, and fly upwards.

Also, I think you could play wiht other simian species. Previous Monkey Badniks have been much... chimpazee-esque. I thought maybe this one can be more based on an Orangotang?

Anyways, in the level art topic, idea arose for an hermit crab badnik that would funcion sorta like a Mettaur in Mega Man. So, I drew it.

[​IMG]

5. test-object

test-object

I very much like the idea for this badnik but I have a nagging feeling this all is becoming too much for the first level. I take responsibility for this misunderstanding: I forgot to mention that we do need at least 1 basic enemy. One that is minding his own business and simply walks back and forth. Well, I'll include it because it blends so well in the environment, but I hope there'll be a better way in which we maintain a correct difficuilty curve.

Beach zone:
    [x] Flying > Tucan
    [x] Plant > King Sling
    [x] Basic Enemy > Liquiphant
    [x] Monkey > Monkeybot (The treejumping one)
    [x] Insect > Petroshell

[ ? ] Pirahna-like > Shrimps (?)

6. test-object

test-object

Doubleposting. I recently had an idea for an underwater enemy and had to think of your badnik, Koi.

If you touch him if he's inside it's shell, you don't get hurt. You walk/roll over him as if it was slippery. This makes him more defensive which is something we definitly need. He can only be hurt when outside the shell and I'm even thinking of disarming him. No gun, just a shell.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    If it becomes too much, a monkey/other simian badnik could go in the jungle level as well.

Another possibility would be to give each act a Badnik unique to it.

test-object: That's exactly what I imagined for this badnik.

8. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    So, I was thinking about a pelican badnik.

It swoops at Sonic, trying to stab him with its long, sharp beak. When it hits, it will just fling him off and fly away. However, if you dodge, you can jump on the beak and use it as a platform. You can ride on the beak until you see somewhere to jump off, or the pelican crashes into a wall, gets its beak stuck, and becomes a non-moving platform.

This could be used to reach a floating platform with no springs or other permanent platforms allowing you to reach it, or, when it crashes into a wall, could let you scale a wall that's too high to jump.

No art; this is solely about how such a badnik might behave.

9. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  10. test-object

test-object

Mmmh, a bit big, I think. Can we see it in comparison with the Sonic sprite?

11. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I should have drawed it with the sprite nearby.
    The heigh doesn't seems a problem, but maybe it is a bit large (possible solution: easy, less larger shell).

However, maybe its final design should be postponed a bit, since that badnik just screams "hey, I'm identical to a part of the scenario, so I'm hitting you when you don't notice"

12. Rokkan

Rokkan

Pillow shading and lacks contrast a lot.
    Fixed it:
    [​IMG]

Size seems okay if you ask me. It screams "I'm NOT A REGULAR PIECE OF THE BACKGROUND"

13. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    That's a lot better, but I wonder if 12 colors aren't too much (but I'm not the one who has to say it).

I agree with its dimensions being fine (in the end he is not that tall, and I saw larger badnicks). But maybe it is a bit too bright.

14. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    Nice work rave.

It's actually start looking like badnick.

But there is smoething wrong in shading.
    Hmm...

15. test-object

test-object

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    There's something about that 'king sling' that reminds me of Kid Chameleon :colbert:
    Also, I've been trying to edit the Hermit crab badnik to be smaller but it's not going so well..
    EDIT: as far as I got before wrist cramp;
    [​IMG]
    Top: Rave's
    Middle: my shitty edit
    Bottom: my shitty edit with the 'danger tape' stripes from the original drawing.

any good?

17. test-object

test-object

You shouldn't be so negative about yourself, it's actually really good! You've fixed the feets... paws... things and changed the shell's shape into a more sleek design.

On the other hand, there's still a problem considering the shell. Once Sonic got hit, he'll duck underneath it and Sonic will forever run over him as if he were part of the environement. He should therefore also become treated a floor. In a too round of a shape, this might become a problem.

I made a half-assed mockup to show how I invision this badniks shell:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: the yellow tape isn't good, sorry. It's not easy to make either, with few pixels. Even the spider from Chemical Plant Zone hasn't pulled it off properly yet.

18. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    ah, Alright I get it now, I'll maybe have a shot at it later.
    Also, does anyone have an opinion on the yellow and black danger tape? never mind, I re-read the above post
    [​IMG]
    ^eh, I tried.

and does it look like it fits?
    [​IMG]

19. test-object

test-object

The previous standing Petroshell was better.

Let's do this, Vincent-style.
    [​IMG]

Red: what the hell are those things supposed to be anyway? Get rid of em :P
    Green: better, more fluent transition is needed.
    Yellow: a bit more vertical then diagonal. It's not the intention of him launching you, but to annoy you with his pesky shield-powers!