don't click here

Let's Glitch Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Updated November 17th, 2009)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GoldS, May 7, 2009.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That last card was classic. =P

Does that count as Tails being a traitor? He stole the act completion off Sonic/Knuckles =P

2. Blue Knuckles, Red Sonic, Yes Please! :D

3. That last glitch was definitely deserving of the name MEGAGLITCH.

Well done. Can't wait for more Lava Reef!

4. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    The video was running long anyway, so here a few things I found with the megaglitch that I couldn't fit.

The raster color effects the Genesis uses to display the water palletes are completely nonfunctioning.
    [​IMG]
    If you're completely underwater the palette will load properly, it's just when it has to do both it can't.

When the glitch occurs, the game messes around with a lot of variables. The ones I've seen affected are:
    *Player character variable (This is why Blue Knuckles appears in the level select)
    *Current special stage variable
    *Title screen selection variable
    *Sound test level selected variable (So you can go to a ton of areas you aren't supposed to)
    *Sound test music selected variable (At 0C in the video)
    *Ring counter (Though you can only really see this if you go to a bonus stage in the level select)

5. Rick

Rick

Maine
    Perhaps you could make a separate video going in-depth with the Megaglitch later on. It seems worthy of its own separate video.

6. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I just figured out that the reason why the game is slowing down and the music is going faster is that the game is trying to run in PAL mode. Somehow the megaglitch reset triggers this. I set the country to European in the emulator and all of the lag and graphical errors went away.

I'm really interested to see how/if this works on real hardware. Anyone want to try?

7. Pr0fessor

Pr0fessor

I'm hooking my Genesis up now to try. Hopefully I can pull it off, navigating that wall above the screen is gonna screw me over more than once, I'm sure. I'll try to get a video of it or at least take some pictures.

8. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    That Megaglitch is just mind-numbingly confusing, and yet very amusing. Again, I don't know how you, or anybody, figures this kind of stuff out, but it's just absolutely amazing. Good job again! :thumbsup:

9. That's got to be the most amusing glitch effect I've ever heard of.

10. Pr0fessor

Pr0fessor

Already wierd things happening. Sorry about the picture quality, I only have a phone to take pictures for the moment...
    [​IMG]

Stuck behind the background! You can just barely make out their feet. This is during the act 1 boss fight, on my first attempt to do the "act 1.5" glitch. Not sure how this happened, but after finishing the boss fight I was still stuck behind lava as it cooled during the transition to act 2 (act 2 actually loaded correctly during this attempt, just like normal) but when I got to the cave area I came out from behind the background. I guess that means that the lava/cooled lava is a separate background layer (which I'm sure means fuck all but I figured I'd let you know :v: )

I was able to do the 1.5 glitch on the second try. The wall wasn't as big a problem as I thought it would be. Unfortunately I ended up dropping into the wrong location and triggered something, and I got the same scrambled graphics but with just a soft reset. I will continue to try though.

11. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I'm at the place just before the megaglitch area and I do you did in the video but it results in a soft reset and the game is normal :(

12. Pr0fessor

Pr0fessor

Likewise. Although, I think it was actually a HARD reset because I had no sound test option on the title screen and I had to redo the code. I tried probably 6-7 times to do this but same result every time. No slowdown :/

I took a few crappy pictures and I'll upload them but I doubt they are anything notable.

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    You are supposed to do it without cheats ;)

Also the effect can be emulator related. Remember how some crashes never happens in an emulator, while on the real system does a hard reset?

14. Pr0fessor

Pr0fessor

On the video he had the sound test activated so I just turned it on also :). I'm gonna try it on Fusion on my Mac just to see what happens on that, but as far as I know the megaglitch doesn't seem to work on hardware (at least, not with the same effects). Like you said, I'm pretty sure it is emulator related.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've not managed to get it to work at all. It doesn't set the character to Blue Knuckles, for example, nor does it go into PAL mode.

16. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    If GoldS saved a savestate of it, I can find the cause ;)
    Sonic & Knuckles uses blank routines stored in RAM. My guess it has changed something there, to make the game fail the water drawing as well as slow down frame rate.

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Ok, so I tried the Megaglitch on Sonic Jam earlier... big mistake.
    I struggled to make progress without debug, so I did it with it on. Using debug I set up LRZ1.5 and I got to the platform you have to jump down from. I jumped and got about half way down when the game just froze. Completely froze. The music was repeating the same few beats over and over and the reset button on the Saturn didn't work. I had to switch it off and back on.

Unfortunately, that's not the end of it. I tried to run the disc again it came up with an error about my memory on the Saturn saying I didn't have enough space. Odd, seeing as I was just playing with a file a minute ago, so I check and my save files has been wiped from the Saturn and it's empty. :(
    The game kept displaying this error, so I eventually had to clear the empty memory, which makes no sense.
    The game worked after this. How messed up.

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    So the megaglitch is worse than the curse, indeed. Wow o_O

And you'd expect for the bug to behave differently in the Sonic Jam port...

19. Pr0fessor

Pr0fessor

If it made Sonic Jam crash that badly, I wonder what will happen with Mega Collection/ S&K Collection...

20. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Collection PC is protected by Windows's protect mode, so no danger can happen. Mega Collection is run by an emulator so it wouldn't be able to directly touch the hardware.
    Sonic Jam is a machine language translated port, and talks directly to the hardware = danger.