don't click here

Let's Glitch Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Updated November 17th, 2009)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GoldS, May 7, 2009.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It's extremely easy with any character... just make sure to hold left once you hit the balloon to get the character to run on the quarter-loop above and you're set.

Also I want to remark that this bug can be a bit glitchy. Only I saw this issue happening only once, but eh. I was playing a match against Morph in Fusion (netgaming, etc.), and he managed to get up there before I could so I decided to just wait until he finished the race >_> But well... the game decided to NOT count laps for him. And like after one minute of watching the game failing on him (yes, that long it took me to react), I went up there and won the race. Then he spammed me with lots of "HAX" XD

Also now watching the new video :P

2. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Not since Launch Base Zone have I seen such hilarity ensue. :v:

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    So anyone up for some of those glitches on the real hardware? Like "TAKE 7"? Just remember, I won't pay for the damage caused ;) Maybe Sega will?

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'm willing to try Take 7 on my actual cart. I'll get to it later, and tell you what happens. It'll probably just delete my saves, in which I got all the super emeralds with Tails, Sonic, and Sonic &Tails. Plus I loved that glitch, my favorite as of today's date. :)

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Um, take 7 seems to merely do a massively huge copy to VRAM, so only VRAM contents should be overwritten. That said, the save memory in Sonic 3 needs to be rewritten when read due to the way it works, and if this thing ends up with a overflow making it to read from ROM space, then I wouldn't be surprised if save memory gets erased :\

That said, it should stop at $800000 because of lack of !DTACK, so either the emulator is doing it wrong (those videos were taken with an emulator, right?), or it doesn't overflow enough to reach that area.

6. Bozo

Bozo

Thanks, thats mine =)

7. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    There's one in the Special Stages (Sonic 3 Alone). If you hit a bumper (aka, white sphere with red star) to walk backwards and DON'T press the D-pad up and instead hit another bumper while walking backward in order to walk foward again, the Special Stage speed will keep as the same forever, or until you hit the D-pad up. The music will speed up as usual, but you speed won't change. This glitch allows you to beat the Special Stages with ease. Unfortunately, this was fixed in both S&K and S3K. :(

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I guess you could call it a glitch, but there are some times while jumping and turning together that you can hit red spheres and not be ejected. It's kinda weird.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Just watched those 2 videos now. I like how many different ways there are to completely fuck up the act 2 boss =P

10. Pr0fessor

Pr0fessor

I tried the Curse glitch earlier on hardware, and I had some of the same outcomes that were in the videos, and some that were completely new and extremely strange. The most notable was a cocophany of miscellaneous sound effects from other stages, and the buttons I pressed seemed to have some effect on their pitch and speed. The game was still "playing" because it would flash a garbled white mess when I would double jump (as in the video) but otherwise the screen was black and there were a lot of different sounds, for example the charge up noise for the teleporters in SSZ. Very strange.

I just posted in case anyone was curious as to what the glitch did on a real Genesis (pretty much the same thing, garbled graphics, strange sound effects and spontaneous resets :v: )

Edit: I forgot to add, I did the glitch at least 20-30 times and my game saves are still intact. Not that I'm guaranteeing anything, just that I didn't permanently mess up anything that I know of.

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    ^ Lucky, it wouldn't work for me on the real hardware, the most I got was very minor graphical errors...

12. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

This can be done in Sonic Jam from what I remember. It was re-programmed though, wasn't it? They probably didn't fix any bugs though.

13. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

The Tails object is fully included in S&K, there's just no art, so the game crashes when loading a level. There's a way, however.

Lock S&K onto a Sonic 3 rom with erased header. It will play just like a normal S&K rom, but will have access to S3's resources, including Tails' graphics. Then you have to use a GG/AR code or a memory editor to force the game to use character number 02 (Tails).

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Anything new GoldS?

I played Death Egg Act 2 with Tails, and the cross section gravity tunnel at the beginning of the act doesn't like Tails flying in it. You still need to show us Lava Reef!

15. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Maybe Lava Reef is the most fucked up stage yet. :colbert:

16. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I had videos for Act 1 done but they got wiped. It'll be up eventually.

17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Wiped as in how? What happened?

18. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Hard drive borked, had to get a new one.

19. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    I learned to obey this the hard way about a month ago. Virus forced me to wipe my entirety, lost 50MB of important SRB2 data.

20. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Alright, Lava Reef Act 1 should be up by this weekend. And I just found something that fucks up the game ever more than The Curse.