don't click here

Leaf Forest beta music

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skyler, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    This has been nagging at me for a long time. For those who don't know, Sonic Mega Collection had a trailer for Sonic Advance 2:

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FE0ltMcE9GA&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FE0ltMcE9GA&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

The music in the trailer is widely considered to be Leaf Forest's original music. I say that's bullshit.

What proof do we have that this tune was designated to Leaf Forest at one point? How do we know it wasn't meant for a cutscene, menu, other level, or even created specifically for the trailer? It doesn't fit Leaf Forest at all; if it was level music at one point, the closest thing it could fit in is Music Plant. I have no idea how it managed to obtain this association in the first place.

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>I hope to God someone doesn't prove me wrong by showing me something I've overlooked. D:</span>

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    I imagine the issue of it not fitting was worked out when they changed the music to what was in the final. =P

It's a trend in these trailers to play the level's music along with footage of that level. The same applied to an early trailer for Sonic Rush—the beta music for the level was played as footage of the level was shown; we confirmed it was the music later with the release of the E3 playable prototype. Given this trend, it's not too far-fetched to reach the conclusion that the music was originally intended for the level, especially given that it's not present in any other part of the game. Besides, if it wasn't for the level it'd be a weird choice in music in general. It just makes sense.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    True, but considering other stages are shown in the trailer, I imagine it could have very well belonged to one of them as well.

<!--QuoteBegin-Tweaker+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I imagine the issue of it not fitting was worked out when they changed the music to what was in the final. =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I figured that part as much. :P

4. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    My logic for it belonging to one of the levels is that it had to be, because honestly that tune makes for some of the least exciting trailer music of all time and thus it would've been overwhelmingly stupid to make it specifically for the trailer.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It almost seems like it was intended for an Sadv2 that may at one point been near the same pace as the first game. Would've been interesting to see a slower paced Leaf Forest.. that is if it had ever been that way. For all we know the musicians didn't get the memo about the game's speed until after the first song was made.

I still like that tune though. In fact moreso than alot of tracks from the Advance series.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It should have been used as the Tiny Chao Garden music instead of straight recycling SAd1's.

7. <!--quoteo(post=557960:date=Feb 12 2011, 10:14 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Feb 12 2011, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=557960">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It almost seems like it was intended for an Sadv2 that may at one point been near the same pace as the first game. Would've been interesting to see a slower paced Leaf Forest.. that is if it had ever been that way. For all we know the musicians didn't get the memo about the game's speed until after the first song was made.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Although the trailer boasts speed, speed, speed.

8. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPy8W5w7y8&feature=related" target="_blank">Sonic Advance Special Stage music</a> coincidentally shares many of the same instrument voices (organ, bass and drum hits) as the beta Leaf Forest music, as well as the horn-y sound from the chao garden game. All of those mentioned voices appeared in the voicings for <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdHQDZ-j54&feature=related" target="_blank">Sonic Advance 2: Ice Paradise Zone.</a> The melody played on the vibes voice with the grace notes is similar to the one in the final Leaf Forest Zone. It's anyone's guess as to which zone (or even which game) this song was intended for.

Keep in mind that Sonic Advance 2 is a heavily modified version of Sonic Advance. You can tell from the time the video was produced that the game was near-final (the only visible differences are the character selection screen, how the character heads are placed on the world map, and the tube layers in Hot Crater Zone being different). These instrument voices aside from the vibes and base do not seem to appear in any of the tracks I have listened to on Youtube.

I would love to be proved wrong or given more evidence, but I think that it was a tune scrapped simply due to not fitting any of the gameplay quite right. Fast music suits fast levels. This song would have been better suited for Sonic Advance.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I didn't even know anyone considred it to be Leaf Forest beta music. Sounded more like Ice Paradise beta music to me...

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    <!--quoteo(post=557970:date=Feb 12 2011, 10:54 PM:name=Hendricks 266)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hendricks 266 @ Feb 12 2011, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=557970">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=557960:date=Feb 12 2011, 10:14 PM:name=Azukara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azukara @ Feb 12 2011, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=557960">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It almost seems like it was intended for an Sadv2 that may at one point been near the same pace as the first game. Would've been interesting to see a slower paced Leaf Forest.. that is if it had ever been that way. For all we know the musicians didn't get the memo about the game's speed until after the first song was made.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Although the trailer boasts speed, speed, speed.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's kind of what I meant, though. They may have made the music for Leaf Forest, then when they were shown the level they realized it was a different pace altogether. This would mean they would've been working on the real LFZ music in the meantime while Sega would've acted themselves and rushed out a video with whatever they had so they could commence the happy hypetrain asap.

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I suppose it's because Leaf Forest appears first in the trailer, and that it does sound like a slow green level. I could imagine it being part of Sonic Advance. I suppos because Sonic Advance 2 is a bit of a faster gamr, it didn't fit well. I can't imagine that it sounds too much like Ice Paradise, but it's either that or Leaf Forest.

The Sonic Advance 2 special stage music is the same as Sonic Advance's, so I can imagine it wasn't meant for that.

12. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I thought it was common knowledge that this song was, indeed, supposed to be the Beta Leaf Forest Zone's music. I clearly remember having a prototype rom of Sonic Advance 2, back in 2003, in which that song was featured.

13. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=558515:date=Feb 14 2011, 07:21 AM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Feb 14 2011, 07:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=558515">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought it was common knowledge that this song was, indeed, supposed to be the Beta Leaf Forest Zone's music. I clearly remember having a prototype rom of Sonic Advance 2, back in 2003, in which that song was featured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wasn't that rom a hoax?

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=557930:date=Feb 13 2011, 06:59 AM:name=Moonshadow Caz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moonshadow Caz @ Feb 13 2011, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=557930">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has been nagging at me for a long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are not the only one. I am a big fan of that music style, and dislike the techno music that was chosen for Advance 2.

The Cream/Tails cutscene music is the closest relative to that trailer music.

No proof exists that this music would even be part of Sonic Advance 2 (so an assumption of it being Leaf Forest beta music is based on the GBA beta hoax made in 2003, which really sucked in quality and operation).

If we really need a name for it, let's call it "Advance 2 trailer music".

15. Tanks

Tanks

<!--quoteo(post=558527:date=Feb 14 2011, 07:00 AM:name=Meat Miracle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meat Miracle @ Feb 14 2011, 07:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=558527">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=558515:date=Feb 14 2011, 07:21 AM:name=Endri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Endri @ Feb 14 2011, 07:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=558515">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought it was common knowledge that this song was, indeed, supposed to be the Beta Leaf Forest Zone's music. I clearly remember having a prototype rom of Sonic Advance 2, back in 2003, in which that song was featured.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wasn't that rom a hoax?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.sonic-cult.org/bci/" target="_blank">Yep.</a>

16. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Is there any analysis somewhere about this hoax? Linking to the page hosting the hoax rom isn't particularly helpful for determining the legitimacy of it, and I don't feel like running the rom ATM.

As for me, I love this song for some damn reason. Even if it doesn't fit with the hyper-turbo-ultra speed of the game, it's still catchy.

17. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    That song is indeed catchy- I like it a lot better than anything in Advance 2's final soundtrack.

Of course, I think its final soundtrack SUCKED except for the Egg Utopia BGM, so...

Actually, scratch that:

Of course, I think Sonic Advance 2 SUCKED except for the Egg Utopia BGM, so...

18. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=558705:date=Feb 14 2011, 04:53 PM:name=Shadic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shadic @ Feb 14 2011, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=558705">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any analysis somewhere about this hoax? Linking to the page hosting the hoax rom isn't particularly helpful for determining the legitimacy of it, and I don't feel like running the rom ATM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No analysis needed. I released the source code years ago:
    <a href="http://projects.sappharad.com/old/sadv2hoax/" target="_blank">http://projects.sappharad.com/old/sadv2hoax/</a>

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I love mystery songs! I still remember playing Sonic Advance 2 in class and wondering where the heck that song was. I would watch it over and over and over in SMC. What's scary is that this is going on 9+ years old. I think there have been a few remixes of it. L0st made one years ago I believe.

20. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=558741:date=Feb 14 2011, 10:41 PM:name=sonicblur)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sonicblur @ Feb 14 2011, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=558741">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=558705:date=Feb 14 2011, 04:53 PM:name=Shadic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shadic @ Feb 14 2011, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=558705">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any analysis somewhere about this hoax? Linking to the page hosting the hoax rom isn't particularly helpful for determining the legitimacy of it, and I don't feel like running the rom ATM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No analysis needed. I released the source code years ago:
    <a href="http://projects.sappharad.com/old/sadv2hoax/" target="_blank">http://projects.sappharad.com/old/sadv2hoax/</a>
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->So, is that the story behind it all? And I was thinking this whole time that... it was indeed a prototype. Granted, I wasn't so much aware of the scene, since the thing that happened in the servers of SWS2B in 2003, when all the users prior to that date were erased, and I couldn't log in the forums anymore.

Jesus Christ, you people. Thank you for destroying one of the most perfect years of my entire life. Thank you so much. You people did a great job fooling [me].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.