don't click here

Knuckles' Chaotix... ugh

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skeledroid, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

Is anyone else so annoyed by the tether feature of this game that they never play it? I just can't enjoy it, I really wish there was a sans tether hack. D:

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I love Knuckles Chaotix.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    While I can understand the confusion of the tether system, once you take the time to master it, you'll find yourself being able to travel at very high speeds, making levels like Botanic Base more fun. Just tether in the opposite direction and go.

The only really hard part is learning to tether up, like in Isolated Island. I can do it when playing but I really can't describe the mechanism here. Itr does involve hitting up at various times.

I know someone is working on doing something without the Combi system, but I don't have many details.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I like the gimmick in Chaotix, although I admit it would be nice to have the option of playing without it.

5. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Chaotix is very, very easy, and sometimes controlling the 2 characters can be a pain, but that's also the funny part.
    No other Sonic games allow the player to skyrocket through Zones that way. It's... "chaotic", in a unique way. And the characters are still somewhat unique to use. They are animated very differently from one another (it's still the only game where Knuckles has a different animation when he climbs down a slope). Zones are very well made and unique, with some concept hardly seen in Sonic games.

And the soundtrack is simply wonderful. But it's not your typical Sonic game. I can see why some hate it.

6. I loved the Combiring, but I think it'd be rad to play the game without. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard, just find a way to get rid of the second player (or just the tether), and remove elements of the levels which require two characters.

I know it's more difficult than that, but probably not too much.

7. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

I think a lot of people would enjoy a hack without it. Someone would definitely get a lot of props. :}

8. I'm pretty sure there is an action replay code out there that disables the band.

edit:
    FFFCEA:0000 Disables Tether
    FFFCEA:0005 Enables Tether

9. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I don't mind controlling the 2 characters, but there are times in levels I kind of wished I could just be Sonic and run through them. It does take a bit of getting used to, though.

10. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    I was just a smidge obsessed with Chaotix for a while, and if there's one bit of advice I can give to people who can't stand the "tether", it's to use a controller and not a keyboard. With a controller, holding your opponent while moving around feels no different than playing a platformer that makes you hold a button to run as opposed to walk.

Or I supposed you could say "fuck tether actions" and use Charmy for the entire game, and pull some amazing runs to boot, but it is a bit slower most of the time. I use Mighty and Espio for most of my time attack runs, or Espio and Mighty if I need to use a wall to go through a one-way floor the wrong way :P

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Yeah, however when I used a PAR code to change a new game's first level to something else, the SH-2 crashed and eventually the 68000 crashed too, so...

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I always use Espio and Vector.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Chaotix pisses me off, mainly because the physics are the worst of the Sonic series. Gimped spindash, insane acceleration, no loops, and god awful climbing and jumping. Also the backgrounds look like some one came in your eye and there are far too many pink and purple colors.

But to answer the question at hand, yes the tether annoys me, but you actually need it sometimes, unless your Charmy. Possibly the only character that you can't beat levels as alone is Espio due to his lack of a climbing move (Mighty's wall jump is totally broken. You shouldn't be able to go up a wall by jumping)

14. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Charmy + Vector = Wrecking Ball God Mode

15. Shade

Shade

Chaotix is absolutely the weirdest game in existence. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just Chaotix. It's its own niche.

Also it clearly takes place in the future of the Sonic timeline, long after all the current titles. Knuckles has grown old, hence his red fading to pink. Eggman has gone insane and decided to build an amusement park since his schemes keep failing anyway. Metal Sonic is still pissed off from Heroes and has gone on a rampage of his own accord. The senile members of the Chaotix think this is all Eggman's doing and are out for blood.

The only person who knows what the fuck is going on is Vector, and he doesn't even give a shit he just wants to listen to some music but he keeps getting dragged along on these fucking elastic ring bands. This is why he constantly looks at the screen with a completely aloof expression and if you leave him alone for like 2 fucking seconds he just goes back to jamming on his headphones. What the fuck is wrong with all these guys.

Chaotix also happens to be the most complex and intense co-op game made to date.

good lord this game is great on weed real hardware

[​IMG]

16. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    He has one of the better climbing moves, actually... you can stand completely still on a wall or ceiling, and you can use it coupled with the call button to run down through one-way floors.

Not that this changes anybody's opinion of the game or anything, but I felt obligated to say this. *shrugs*

17. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I remember when I first played Chaotix I skipped the tutorial and got stuck in the very first level. D: At least when you have the Combi system down, you won't need to view the tutorial again. I hated how you chose a character with the Combi Catcher, considering that you have barely any control over the crane, and the game switches characters on you all the time. I've successfully mastered the Combi Catcher, but newbies are going to be easily frustrated when they get Bomb or Heavy instead of Mighty or Espio as a partner. They'll be relieved to know that there are bonus items that give you more control the Crane. But it's still frustrating going through all that trouble just to get the partner you want.

I can't even begin to wonder why you can't even perform the "hold" action with two players to build up speed.

18. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I recently bought a 32x and Knuckles' Chaotix, having only played a little bit of the game on an emulator beforehand. I was really disappointed. The tether system was a nice idea, but the level design didn't make much creative use of it past the reoccurring puzzle where two characters have to step on different panels. The levels were generally quite messily designed and free of threats. Most of the characters had abilities that felt like cheating (e.g. Espio's wall running, Charmy's flying, etc.).

The game looked and sounded nice, and I enjoyed the bosses and bonus levels, but everything else felt unfinished. I'm annoyed that I spent so much money on it.

19. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    /me is getting OCD about minor facts again :(

You can, but not using the Hold button. You need to stop and crouch, and the other player can move while you act as an anchor. I'll openly admit that this was a very stupid decision because you have to stop to crouch, as opposed to one player mode where you can run really fast, Hold, switch directions, and run again in half a second.

Maybe I should just wait until a few inaccuracies crop up instead of answering each one individually. :/

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    This is the truth forevermore as far as I'm concerned. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.