don't click here

Kega 64-bit

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Bibin, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    So uh, I've upgraded my computer a bit lately.

New specs:

Q8200 @ 2.6GHz Quad Core
    8GB DDR2 at 1066mhz
    9800GTX video with 512MB GDDR3

The notable upgrade is that I am running Windows 7 64-bit Professional.

Now, Kega Fusion! It runs fine - everything gets a solid 60fps, with V-sync on, all that good stuff.

Pressing the fast forward key is inconsistent. 90% of the time, it doesn't go faster at all - something seems to be holding it back. The other 10%, I press fast-forward, and it races forwards, but slows down until it reaches normal speed again. It's unpredictable. Any ideas why this happens?

In before system resources, background apps blah blah - it did this on this install, and a separate fresh one I installed on my extra HDD just to test.

2. What does this have to do with Kega 64-bit? Or anything, for that matter?

3. He wants to know if there's a fix for the problem with "fast forwarding" he has in Kega 64-bit ... I don't see why you would be confused.

4. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Kega isn't 64-bit, my system is.

5. I thought KEGA was going to do Nintendo 64 emulation for a second there.

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Have you tried setting the program's affinity to only use one or two cores? In my experience, that fixes a lot of these sorts of problems in other apps, it might also in this.

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Possibly because you have VSync on. With some games, they wait on the vsync for timing, so if you have the emulator set to use a real vsync, those game won't go ANY faster no matter how fast the emulator goes. You have to turn off vsync for those games to go faster. So depending on how the game does it's timing, a faster emulation may or may not go as fast as you think it would.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If it helps, I get this problem too. Regardless of what settings are set. It's unlikely to be a hardware fault.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Jointly developed with Konami and Sega? :v:

10. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I had this exact same problem. It doesn't occur anymore, and I can't for the life of me remember how I sorted it. I'l have a look soon and post if I find anything.

11. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Go fullscreen. It's probably aero+vsync holding it down in windowed mode.

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    No, I had this exact problem even in fullscreen.

As for what I posted earlier, I have not been able to confirm what it was I changed. It may have been meddling with the Nvidia Control Panel settings (I put Kega to use the absolute highest settings, AA, Vsync, all the other settings) that changed it, but if you do not have an Nvidia card, I cannot help you, sorry.