Karl's "Sonic the Hedgehog"

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Otama Sanshiro, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl

Karl

Hello!

Karl here, creator of this very game.

I'm pleased that some people got the fact that it was intended to be more of a joke than anything else. Anyone who has seen my site will attest that I am a complete novice when it comes to programming, and I was therefore not even going to TRY to compete with a proper Sonic hack/remake.

I didn't really expect this to travel as far as it has done, but I am pleased that it's made a few people chuckle, and god forbid one or two people even enjoyed playing it... ;)

2. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    I can't imagine who WOULD enjoy it... Maybe those annoying 12-year-old Halo kids? =P

3. Karl

Karl

Maybe... you should know, right? :P

In all honesty, I'm not going to try and defend this game. It was the first time I'd even used animation in a game. I would be interested to know what people liked or hated about it though, so I can avoid making the same mistakes again.

4. Fluffy Clouds

Fluffy Clouds

WAS A KID. Member
    San Fernando Valley, California
    GTA San Andreas trainer SCM hook.
    Sorry about that comment I made about you on the previous page. I didn't really know if it was a joke until now.

Argh, I feel like such a dumbass.

5. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    too much fake difficulty

6. Karl

Karl

Fair do's. I take it you mean the awkwardly-placed enemies and the time-limit on the first few levels?

7. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    <!--quoteo(post=372311:date=Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Karl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karl @ Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372311">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe... you should know, right? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, because I'm 15, I don't play Halo, and I don't scream at people like retards on XBox Live. =P

8. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    <!--quoteo(post=372861:date=Nov 13 2009, 09:58 PM:name=GasparXR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GasparXR @ Nov 13 2009, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372861">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=372311:date=Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Karl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karl @ Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372311">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe... you should know, right? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, because I'm 15, I don't play Halo, and I don't scream at people like retards on XBox Live. =P
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are but I know someone from my school who does that and he's 17 now XP. Slightly off topic: This project obviously wasn't a serious one, otherwise I would be like "Oh dear...", no offense to you karl or anything, but I know it wasn't a proper project, so if you do start on a sonic releate hack/fan game I hope to see some serious work =P.

9. Karl

Karl

<!--quoteo(post=372861:date=Nov 13 2009, 04:58 PM:name=GasparXR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GasparXR @ Nov 13 2009, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372861">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=372311:date=Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Karl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karl @ Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372311">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe... you should know, right? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good for you. Those people are the reason I don't own a current-gen console...

Back on topic, I need a bit more experience before I even think about tackling Sonic again... But next time I will make a better fist of it, that's for sure! :specialed:

I'm learning Game Maker quite fast, although it certainly has its limitations...

10. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

<!--quoteo(post=372893:date=Nov 13 2009, 08:54 PM:name=Karl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karl @ Nov 13 2009, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372893">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=372861:date=Nov 13 2009, 04:58 PM:name=GasparXR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GasparXR @ Nov 13 2009, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372861">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=372311:date=Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Karl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karl @ Nov 12 2009, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372311">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe... you should know, right? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good for you. Those people are the reason I don't own a current-gen console...

Don't play online then :v:
    My Wii is offline and it's still a worthy console.

11. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    <!--quoteo(post=372807:date=Nov 14 2009, 05:25 AM:name=Karl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karl @ Nov 14 2009, 05:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372807">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fair do's. I take it you mean the awkwardly-placed enemies and the time-limit on the first few levels?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->No, I mean the fact that the jumps are awkward and that the enemies are near impossible to kill (you can't even jump on them without jumping just right)

12. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    It was a joke project?
    I don't know if I'm surprised or not :psyduck:

Any-dang-way, I'm glad the creator wasn't being serious. I haven't played it, because, eh, I'm not really into games involving a lot of drugs and stuff like that (which is why I stay away from GTA and stuff like that)

13. Karl

Karl

If it's anything, it's an anti-drug game. It shows what assholes people can become on drugs.

I was genuinely inspired by UK: Resistance's <a href="http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html" target="_blank">Blue Skies in Games</a> campaign.

Sonic takes a journey from shitty gangstaland and drugs to a prelapsarian, happy land (his home planet).

So yeah, it was a joke game, but a lot of truth is said in jest...

14. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    There are people that take <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Atomic_Sonic" target="_blank">Atomic Sonic</a> seriously. Just check youtube. Don't worry about some people not getting the joke.

15. Karl

Karl

Hahaha, that was classic! Some really huffy, sniffy people out there...

My personal favourite - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=revfez8kZi8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=revfez8kZi8</a>

How many times can a man say "ugh" in a minute?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.