Just finished Sonic Advance 2

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skeledroid, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When you're in the air but not curled into a ball (ie: hit a spring or ramp..etc) hold a direction on the d-pad and press the right trigger

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    <!--quoteo(post=424152:date=Mar 12 2010, 11:54 AM:name=trakker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trakker @ Mar 12 2010, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424152">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=424059:date=Mar 12 2010, 05:03 AM:name=olaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (olaf @ Mar 12 2010, 05:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424059">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]

Sky Canyon: I almost broke down and started using save states to beat the game because of this zone. I could not figure out that I needed to bounce off that wall to continue playing the zone. So, for like the first 30 lives, I just kept doing the same thing over and over. Finally figured out how to bypass it, and then I kept falling every 10 seconds into pitfalls for the two zones. Until eventually, I got to the boss and had to keep replaying the same 2 zones over and over, falling into pitfalls, only to maybe make it to that boss again (and die on my last life). Pretty much I want Sky Canyon to die. The damned clapping hand on the boss is the bane of my existence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This became the basis for Sonic Rush didn't it? lol
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really. I fucking despise Sky Canyon (and it's boss is the reason I've not beaten XX Zone as anyone other than Cream, as I have this game on hardware), but I like Rush - Sky Canyon is EASILY the worst 2D Sonic zone that's ever been made in a decently budgetted Sonic title (so not counting stuff like Sonic Blast or Tails Adventures on GG =P)

3. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    ...Wow, I'm a lot better at Sonic Advance 2 than I thought. I beat Advance 2 with every character (But Amy) and have only got one game over on Sky Canyon (though I lost like 12 lives. XD) and 2 on Techno Base. I don't even like Sonic Advance 2 all that much, my favorite part was some of the level palettes and the music. I only go 1 Chaos Emerald though.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I sold Advance 2 a few years. Back in Jan or Feb I decided I wanted it again. Found a cheap enough boxed w/manual set, got and and realised the game was far better than I ever thought before. The music was what struck me first. The techno style of it that doesn't at one point begin to sound samey is fantastic, and the special stages are different. Different and provide a great challenge. Getting into them was a challenge for all the wrong reasons though. Amy is an utter anti-climax as a 100% clear bonus (more than we normally get though) because she plays just like Sonic but with a additional hammer abilities. Seriously, giving her the spin-jump and spin-dash made her play seem like such a waste of time.

5. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    Area 53 (the Super Sonic level) was awesome and had awesome music.

Getting there was a right pain in the arse.

Also Super Sonic being stuck there was major fail.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I thought the game was pretty good when I first got it, but then my enjoyment slowly left me over the years. A few months back I decided to give it to my niece for her birthday. Now I have Advance 1 again and I couldn't be happier.

7. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=424260:date=Mar 12 2010, 12:40 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Mar 12 2010, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424260">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=424152:date=Mar 12 2010, 11:54 AM:name=trakker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trakker @ Mar 12 2010, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424152">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=424059:date=Mar 12 2010, 05:03 AM:name=olaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (olaf @ Mar 12 2010, 05:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424059">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]

Sky Canyon: I almost broke down and started using save states to beat the game because of this zone. I could not figure out that I needed to bounce off that wall to continue playing the zone. So, for like the first 30 lives, I just kept doing the same thing over and over. Finally figured out how to bypass it, and then I kept falling every 10 seconds into pitfalls for the two zones. Until eventually, I got to the boss and had to keep replaying the same 2 zones over and over, falling into pitfalls, only to maybe make it to that boss again (and die on my last life). Pretty much I want Sky Canyon to die. The damned clapping hand on the boss is the bane of my existence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This became the basis for Sonic Rush didn't it? lol
    Not really. I fucking despise Sky Canyon (and it's boss is the reason I've not beaten XX Zone as anyone other than Cream, as I have this game on hardware), but I like Rush - Sky Canyon is EASILY the worst 2D Sonic zone that's ever been made in a decently budgetted Sonic title (so not counting stuff like Sonic Blast or Tails Adventures on GG =P)
    It's funny, because Sky Babylon in Sonic Rush Adventure, which is sort of the same premise, is a shit ton better than every level in Sonic Advance 2 and Rush and most of Rush Adventure combined. It's one of the best levels I've played out of the handheld Sonic games and that music is just fanfuckingtastic.

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQAEu3yh860&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQAEu3yh860&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

Enjoy.

8. corneliab

corneliab

Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES? Member
    Zero Mortals
    <!--quoteo(post=424337:date=Mar 12 2010, 02:16 PM:name=Aquaslash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Mar 12 2010, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424337">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Area 53 (the Super Sonic level) was awesome and had awesome music.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? It felt pretty bland and generic in mostly every way for me.

9. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I remember the first time I played Sonic Advance 2. It was on a friend's GBA, so I didn't read the manual.
    I enjoyed it right up to that amazing part of Sky Canyon 2 that requires you to use a trick or die with your ignorance, and I was like, "Well, that's no fun."
    There's actually an alternate path to avoid that portion of the level, but regardless, when I learned how to do tricks, the game became that much more enjoyable to me.

It's definitely not perfect in terms of game design, but I had tons of fun with the time trials after I beat the game.

10. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I didn't have that much of a problem with just clearing Advance 2's levels. I thought this was the fastest 2D Sonic to date and had fun zones. The only thing I hated was trying to get to the special stages. There was no way I could slow down enough to find out where all of those special rings were. By the time I did find a couple I had problems with clearing the special stage as well.

I just gave up and unlocked Amy with Gameshark.

As far as Sonic Advance 3 goes, I find that game's normal levels harder to clear than the ones in Sonic Advance 2.

11. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Okay, Chimpo came on IRC once when I described my experiences playing Sonic Advance 2. I told him about how many bottomless pits there were in Sky Canyon zone. He then gave me a reality check, saying something alone the lines of...

"I counted only ten bottomless pits in Sky Canyon, and maybe half of those you could fall into accidentally."

I agreed, there isn't quite so many bottomless pits as people like to claim there are in Sonic Advance 2. It's just that you're not used to bottomless pits when you play stuff like the first Sonic Advance. What bothered me was probably the seventh zone, the one before XX Zone. What's more, finding the special rings. What's MORE, trying to remember where those rings are despite the monotony of all the zones, and getting the emeralds with all of the characters, as you can't reach the extra zone until you do just that.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'll be honest. I didn't even KNOW there were trick moves in Sonic Advance 2 til well.. years after playing and beating it.

Somehow I don't know if it made me enjoy the game more, or hate it more.

Either way, I'm glad the game wasn't bashed as bad as it usually is. Despite having a lot of flaws, I still find the game enjoyable in a lot of areas. Especially the zone art, and music. I'd sadly call those the best highlights of the game. :(

13. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    lol @ the special rings.
    I definitely had to use a guide to find them, but there is actually a specific path in each level that you can follow to collect them all pretty effortlessly... once you know the path.

And the special stages were waaaaay too long... I got enough rings, can I leave now? Sega said no. lol.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=424075:date=Mar 12 2010, 12:20 AM:name=Covarr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Covarr @ Mar 12 2010, 12:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424075">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=424059:date=Mar 11 2010, 09:03 PM:name=olaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (olaf @ Mar 11 2010, 09:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424059">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Music Plant: [...] Though the whole theme would feel better in Kirby or something like that? Maybe Mario?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The game you are looking for is Rayman.
    Sparkster. =P

15. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Advance 2 is actually my favourite of the 3.

Aside from Leaf Forest, I love all the music. I didn't have a lot of trouble with Sky Canyon, it's actually my second favourite zone from the game after Ice Paradise. The animations are better than 1, too - Cream is so adorable, it's hard to hate her (at least you don't have to hear her in this game).

I enjoy the tricks, too - but I have to marvel at the idiocy of Sega. The A button does absolutely nothing when you're in the air after having hit a spring or ramp - so why can't it do the tricks? The whole point of Sonic is simple, one-button gameplay. It boggles the mind. I'm sure many more gamers would have learned about, used, and enjoyed the tricks (and therefore the game) if they'd only mapped it to A instead of R.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    <!--quoteo(post=424411:date=Mar 13 2010, 01:57 AM:name=Ross-Irving)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ross-Irving @ Mar 13 2010, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424411">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, Chimpo came on IRC once when I described my experiences playing Sonic Advance 2. I told him about how many bottomless pits there were in Sky Canyon zone. He then gave me a reality check, saying something alone the lines of...

"I counted only ten bottomless pits in Sky Canyon, and maybe half of those you could fall into accidentally."

I agreed, there isn't quite so many bottomless pits as people like to claim there are in Sonic Advance 2. It's just that you're not used to bottomless pits when you play stuff like the first Sonic Advance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://soniccenter.org/maps/sv2z52.png" target="_blank">Sky Canyon, Act 2</a>. The entire fucking LEVEL is a bottomless pit. <a href="http://soniccenter.org/maps/sv2z51.png" target="_blank">Act 1 isn't quite as bad</a>, but still - and don't even get me STARTED on that fucking boss.

I say again - worst 2D zone ever made.

17. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

<!--quoteo(post=424767:date=Mar 13 2010, 02:15 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Mar 13 2010, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424767">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=424411:date=Mar 13 2010, 01:57 AM:name=Ross-Irving)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ross-Irving @ Mar 13 2010, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=424411">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, Chimpo came on IRC once when I described my experiences playing Sonic Advance 2. I told him about how many bottomless pits there were in Sky Canyon zone. He then gave me a reality check, saying something alone the lines of...

I agreed, there isn't quite so many bottomless pits as people like to claim there are in Sonic Advance 2. It's just that you're not used to bottomless pits when you play stuff like the first Sonic Advance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://soniccenter.org/maps/sv2z52.png" target="_blank">Sky Canyon, Act 2</a>. The entire fucking LEVEL is a bottomless pit. <a href="http://soniccenter.org/maps/sv2z51.png" target="_blank">Act 1 isn't quite as bad</a>, but still - and don't even get me STARTED on that fucking boss.

I say again - worst 2D zone ever made.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This man speaks the truth.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Misfit
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Techno base was the real bitch here. I love the game though, especially Music Plant.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's not always about the number of pits, but instead where exactly they are. If one comes between a spring and some spikes that will knock you backward, there's a problem. If one comes between two small platforms place just after a speed booster, there's a problem there too. Both examples are from Sky Canyon act 2. But should one be underneath a platforming section where you have all the control you need, it's not so much of an issue. Again, Sky Canyon act 2.

20. Tylinos

Tylinos

I've never completed Egg Utopia as Sonic. That stage, especially Act 2, is freaking annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.