don't click here

Jump-starting the forum: Sonic 2 title card object

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jman2050, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/s2tc.txt

Of course, this is only part of the equation. There's a whole drawing function as explained in the file that references the SSTs, as well as the function that loads the art for the title card, but I figured this would be helpful to certain people wanting to program their own title cards.

Also note that the objects will work fine on their own, even if the drawing function is never even jumped to in the code. The file needs some work, I guess. Not sure if there are any mistakes, plus, as you'll notice, I'm horribly inconsistent with repeated sections of code.

EDIT - http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/s2tcdraw.txt

Documented the drawing routine. It works, but it's awfully specific, so doing something else with the title card won't be as simple as editing a few lines of code :P

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Good stuff! It'll surely help some people :)

3. jman2050

jman2050

Oh, I forgot to mention, there are a few things that the game does outside of the object definitions to 'trigger' certain actions. For example, the words won't attempt to exit the screen until the main level loading routine changes their routine counters (the zone name, the word 'zone', and the act number's) to $16 (the last entry in the routine list in the file). And it won't do this until the red stripe destroys itself. And so on and so forth. So examine the code and see what you can do to manipulate these objects :)

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I do hate the custom symbols IDA Pro uses in its disassemblies. Doing it in regular plain ASCII text would be better.

Still, looks like a good piece of work.

5. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Custom symbols? What do you mean?

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Displays as a line of A-umlauts in most text editors.
    0001600C, then \c0019 and then o.

7. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    That's not really IDA's problem. It displays fine in the DOS codepage; Windows editors usually use a slightly different codepage, so they display odd things.

8. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    So, therefore, it is IDA's fault for being 10 years out of date. :D

9. jman2050

jman2050

Next time I'll make sure to get rid of the symbols. Never liked them anyway.

Should I bother doing the drawing routine and the art loading routine while I'm at it?

EDIT - What the heck. The special drawing routine is commented and put in the file above. It's a special routine called when you write $C into the VBlank routine counter before a VBlank.

10. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.