Jet Set Radio (PSN/XBLA/PC/Vita)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Willie, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Arique

Arique

How do I Sonic? Member
    So... Does September count as Q3 2012?
    Playstation Plus users get it on 9/11, Regular PSN is on 9/18, XBLA and Steam is on 9/19, and PSVita is 10/16. No word on the iOS release date.

Also, it's only $9.99. :v:

2. Machenstein

Machenstein

Glad we finally have a date. Hopefully all of this time was spent getting Yappie Feet in. Don't stop 'til you reach the top. :v:

3. The price tag for this is unbelievable. I understand it's a DC game and such, but at 800MSP that's fantastic. I know there'll be people who don't support the Digital Download age, and I can completely understand where they're coming from. But in my opinion, I was, and have totally expected this to be a 1200 MSP game, and as such had points waiting for it. Can't wait personally!

I just wish they'd patch either the Xbox Emulation on 360's or do something about JSRF. The Xbox Emulation for JSRF lags to absolute crap and is barely unplayable...

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Don't really see why it would have costed more, seeing how all other Dreamcast re-releases so far have been 800 points.

5. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Especially since it's one of the shortest games in the Dreamcast library.

6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    So this was released today for PSN Plus subscribers.

Dunny Boy Williamson Show is missing from the game, yet the blog post still lists it as being there. At least, it isn't in the sound test, even though the rest of the tracks announced are. I'm about a 3rd of the way through the game and haven't heard it used yet.
    The Graffiti Editor IS present though, which is interesting because I recall reading somewhere that it wouldn't be.

It seems like the game otherwise is as close to the original as they could possibly make it, even the graphical pop-in is about the same as on the original DC version. And I think the framerate is locked to 30fps instead of 60, but I can't be sure. The reason I think so is because when you move the camera with the right analog stick it seems choppy to me. Or maybe it is 60 but the new camera is choppy.

Some of the tracks from Jet Set Radio Future are unlockable in the bonus section where the documentary is found. Not sure if they're available in-game or not, I guess I'll find out that when I finish it.

7. Arique

Arique

How do I Sonic? Member
    Nope. It's only available to listen to in the bonus section. You can't use it as the In-Game Soundtrack. :(

8. Does that mean that Yappie Feet is in instead?

9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    No. Neither song is there.

I hope it's just a mistake that DBWS is missing from the sound test. It wasn't something I was especially looking forward to, but I'm a bit upset that they announced it would be there and it doesn't appear to be. I made it up to the grind city portion of the game yesterday and it hadn't been used yet. I haven't played the original Japanese version to know where it's used there, but I would've probably expected it to be used in Kogane-cho since it seems like it might fit in there. I'll update this if I ever find it...

10. All of the music licenses being negotiated. They could have easily asked for 1200 points on that basis, IMO. Plus they did put some more effort in this one (widescreen, documentary, etc) than the first batches of DC games.

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Okay, I'm now 100% positive that "Dunny Boy Williamson Show" is missing from US PSN version of Jet Set Radio.

It's not in the sound test, and now that I've finished the game I know it's not used in any of the stages either. I even repeatedly loaded Jet Graffiti/Jet Technique/Jet Race stages many times to see if it would show up randomly, but it didn't. I loaded them enough to hear every track at least once.

Well, with one other exception. That awful Rob Zombie song from the original is in the Sound Test, but thankfully it isn't used in the game. You won't hear it in Grind City, nor randomly as a post-game song. It's almost as if they ported the PAL version but didn't add the remaining tracks back in properly. (Edit: Someone has a video of the PS3 version on YouTube where Grind City did use the US tracks. They're from Japan, so maybe this problem is US version specific?)

I've tried bringing this to their attention on the Playstation Blog and Twitter, I haven't gotten any official response yet. It seems like a waste of money/effort for them to negotiate these songs and not actually use them. :-(

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6UumJyeX6eA[/youtube]

12. So, decision time: is this worth cooking up a PMT cable, flashing a new drive to my 360, renewing my XBL account, and picking up, or should I stick to the Dreamcast version?

13. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Available on Steam now, downloading. £5.99. Was expecting it to be more really.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    PC version is locked at 30fps. It's nice to be able to play it on a higher resolution than 720p but still, what the hell SEGA?

15. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Game won't even start. Just crashes immediatly. Great job.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    PC version works surprisingly well for me on my laptop. Getting mostly 30fps with sometimes it dipping below a bit at 1080p and 8x MSAA. These are my specs:

Geforce GT540m
    Intel Core i7 2630QM (2 GHz Sandy Bridge quad core with turbo speed up to 2.9 GHz)
    6GB RAM

17. 30fps on PC versions? Is it 60 on consoles? If so that's a bit naff.

Got the game today. Definitely a huge trip to memory lane. I'm glad they included difficult achievements regarding character unlocks. Playing as Pots was always something I wanted to do but never got the effort to do so. More reason now I guess.

18. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Can someone with the PC or XBLA version check the sound test to see if Dunny Boy Williamson Show is present?
    I just want to confirm whether or not they licensed it and forgot to use it in every version, or if just the US PSN version is missing it. I haven't had any luck getting a response from Sega about it for the past week now.

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is going on my list... for Februaryish. No way I can afford it right now, but I really wanna try it out, since I never did the first time around.

20. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff

It was never 60 frames for the console ports.

Theres maybe only two real issues I have with the port, and that is to do with controller compatibility. For USB controllers, you can't re-map the buttons. So I can't use my Wii Classic Controller for the game as ZR is used to pause, and the analog triggers and right analog stick do not work at all.

Also, speaking of keyboard control configuration, the fact that you are forced to go through the initial setup window before starting the game breaks the Steam Big Picture mode. Theres no way to bypass it without having to use the keyboard and mouse.

They got it down for Sonic CD and every other Sega PC game. Why not keep it the same for Jet Set Radio?