Java-Based In-Browser Emulator

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by qwertysonic, Jan 25, 2012.

1. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Does anyone know of any freeware java-based or otherwise in-browser emulators? Like ones used in nintendo8?

2. Impish

Impish

www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/
    It has everything from Sega Master System to Nintendo 64, in browser. But most games require the Vizzed browser plugin that's available on the site.

3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

I tried out the N64 emulator. It's not perfect obviously, but I'm really impressed with how well it works.
    Second question: Are there any native emulators that one could upload to his own site?

4. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    What's the point of a browser based emulator, if I may have the audacity to ask? I used to use them, then I realized you can just download a rompack and be on with it.

5. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

that's the normal way to do it, but I guess having everything on a remote server is nice for some people who don't want to have to download anything or who just want to try out a game with less hassle than having to download it. I personally prefer having everything on my personal machine, but I can understand why someone would want that.

6. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

IL, USA
    An overly ambitious retro platformer
    I used to use one of the Java-based NES emulators in high school. I had an English class in this remodeled room with PCs inside the desks that you could pop up. Well, the kicker was that they ran Linux at the time, and a heavily locked down version at that-- to the point that the KDE desktop didn't even have a K menu, and you could only run icons on the desktop (I somehow managed to get down to terminal level at one point, but still couldn't run anything-- they definitely did their homework). Anyway, the teacher for this class went on maternity leave and the substitute they found didn't really do anything with us all year, so I spent a lot of time messing with the computer at my desk to see if I could get some games running. My final solution was to make a web page on my flash drive that would call up the Java emulator. And it worked! I passed around a version with a selection page for around 50 games to everyone in the class, and we had a great year.

7. Impish

Impish

To be honest, the vizzed one really is a round about method, as all the plug-in does is download the rom and emulator, and play them within the browser.

8. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Are you guys talking about java [applets, or otherwise], or javascript?

[two different -ish things]

Anywhoo, for a while I wished that JAVA based emulators would become more plentiful - since I'd only need the JRE, and thus could run it on Windows, OS X, or any version of Linux w/ the JRE, which would mean a singular version of a particular emulator that would be developed consistently among platforms [coughunlikesaymameOSXcough] and a lot of emulators on other platforms, Mac OSX especially, are rather lacking it seems

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

I don't think anyone's ever made a javascript emulator.

10. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
  11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Missed the javascript NES emulator:
    http://fir.sh/projects/jsnes/