don't click here

Japanese Sonic Fans trying to get Sonic X 53 - 78 in Japan.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mendinso, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    A little bit over a month ago, I was looking over the Japanese wikipedia of Sonic X for something, and to my surprise there was information surrounding 53+ that was not there originally. Then I find out why there was a whole slew of information on the wiki through one of the links.

Over at X-Square, there is a compaign going on that apparently the Japanese Fans are trying to get the rest of Sonic X over in Japan, whether it be in Original Video Animation format (video release only) or an actual TV broadcast. They are also trying to get awareness that these episodes do also exist, since the typical japanese fan might have not known about the rest of the episodes. Apparently this started back in September of this year, but doesn't seem like much progress is made.

I'm unsure if there'll be any real progress made in the future, but honestly, I'm wishing them luck at this. You guys can check out the site here. But it's useless unless any of you can read Japanese. Why am I posting this here? Because there are Japanese fans that care enough to see the rest of the series released in Japan.

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    What!? They didn't even release them on DVD? It's like Sega isn't even trying to get more Japanese fans.

E: and I've heard that Shadow is actually pretty popular over there, you'd think they'd be eager to release the only series where he does anything. Maybe it's because of the backlash over the humans being in the games or something.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Sega withheld those episodes because they knew what was best for their favorite market.

Oh well, good luck to them I guess.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I approve of this, if for no other reason to get decent quality episodes that aren't Chinese bootlegs. It's not like they even have to spend money on them at this point, they've already been made and voiced. Just package 'em up and thrown 'em on TV. Hell, I'll even buy the DVD raws (something I've been slowly doing with the existing set).

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I think they sort of canned it because the quality was no good. Those episodes went off the deep end and thus SEGA doesn't want to spread the fail.

That said, a free opportunity to make money should appeal to Sega! :p

6. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Japan seems to love everything that fails miserably here, who knows

7. Rokkan

Rokkan

The opposite also works *looking at Star Ocean*

8. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    53+ never aired in Japan? No wonder I could never find a torrent for it :|

I like the JP Subs and those French subs were not cutting it. :|

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Yeaaah, I've only seen like 4 episodes. Did those air here then?

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    They aired on 4Kids like 3 years ago. And the English version's on DVD as well. I didn't see much of it, so I'm not sure how much better they are than the rest of the dub. I watched them all in French when they first came out, and it wasn't too bad. Funny thing is, Sonic and his friends are such simple characters, that it wasn't exactly difficult to tell what was going on. Knowing a smidge of French probably helped too.

If you missed it, just go play Sonic Chronicles, the second half of the game is pretty much the same concept, only without Cosmo and Chris, and the Super Sonic fight is lame.

11. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    So does this mean that season 3 could be largely different than what we got here? Remember how cut up the first 2 seasons were. If they were ever successful in getting Sonic X redubbed and distributed in Japan then maybe their episodes would be different. Cause our episodes seem to be a different continuity from theirs.

12. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Actually, from what I hear the French version didn't get cut to pieces like the English version, and the French version was actually the first to become widely available. Actually, the Japanese version has been floating around forever now in a shitty compression. I believe it came from some Chinese bootleg DVDs.

13. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    I'm going to clear this up. The Japanese audio actually came from a legit release that was sold in China, as hard as that is to believe. Sonic X was officially released on VCD for the entire series, rather than DVD. As a result, because of the limitations of the VCD format, they were hardsubbed and the audio tracks were restricted to left and right channels, creating both audio tracks mono. To my knowledge, no official licensed DVD exists in China.

However, there was actually a question about the legallity with the release coming form the Japanese companies. Someone from Studio MAO mentioned that apparently they may have not been authorized to include the Japanese audio track for those episodes in particular. I might be remembering this wrong, however, since it's been ages since this was asked on their forums. A direct answer from TMS Entertainment would be better off, since Studio MAO is just a studio that handeled the backgrounds.

Anyways, there were complications with Sonic X 53+ that originally led to them not airing right away, and then to cancelling plans to broadcast them. What happened was TV Tokyo pulled out from Production of the series, which made it difficult to air the series. Then, at some point Sonic X 53+ was scheduled to air in Japan Summer 2005 (around same time Kids Station would finish broadcasting the first series), but this never happened. In fact, Kids Station pulled the Sonic X mini-site some point after broadcast.

There were questions about the possibility with going with a video release for the remaining episodes when Mana talked with someone from Sega, and apparently without a TV broadcast, it would not financially worth it to do so. There was also another thing that you guys may find interesting is that TMS Entertainment did at some point plan on producing more episodes for 2007 according to their financial report, but this did not happen. In fact, no one's quite sure at this point what is going on with the series, since it seems to be more stalled than finished at this point in time.

Still, we're now in 2008, there has been no release in Japan, but TMS Entertainment and Sega should have made more than enough money off the international distrobution for the series. It's not going to hurt them much if they produce a limit run of the latter episodes in boxset form or try and get a web distrubtion for said episodes. But yet, they aren't doing anything.

Also, I would like to say that the latter episodes of Sonic X are actually decent and well done. Alot of people wouldn't touch them because of the quality of the first 52 episodes, but the overall general census for these episodes is they are much better. The story is a bit too over the top at times, but I felt it was a nice change for the series and we got action on action almost every episode. It was also nice to see a dark story for the series rather than how the first series was very light hearted for the most part.

One last thing is, Sonic X 53+ did get heavily edited when it broadcasted in the United States. Infact, the last episode almost 6 minutes of the episode was cut out, the entire episode was rearranged, and a 2 minute recap was added. They also danced around that Cosmo died and they pretty much made her live in the end, rather than Dark Oak still being alive. Most of the deathes in the series were cut out, with an exception of the Resistance Group's death (which... remained unedited complete with disturbing sounds, although 4Kids latter cuts a flashback scene for it). 4Kids also had trouble dealing with Shadow in Episode 73 trying to kill Cosmo as they tried to dance around that fact.

There were also some cuts for violence in that episode too... I could go on and on, but Rattleman's Edit List has more details on the whole thing.

14. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    What about time of Japanese Fans make a move to those episodes air or being released on DVD! I'm interested on those, since Metarex is my favorite Sonic series, I want to buy the DVDs... I actually have 2 complete collection of Metarex DVDs, American and French sets. But american, 4KIDS sucks and the French don't have original audio and lacks of episode 57.

Anyway, at this point, I never expected to don't see this happen...

15. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I could scarcely understand a word you said. Sonic X might not have been the worst thing to come out of the franchise, but I know I'd never pay for that shit.

16. Twinbee MkII

Twinbee MkII

Uber Snuzzlemuffins Member
    I gotta totally agree. I loved 53+ alot, even if I only saw it in french. It was a very creative plot, and any Tails fan should check it out if possible. As it stands, I whole heartedly support a Japanese release, if only so we get good clear quality copies of the episodes. I hope they succede. :psyduck:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.