don't click here

It's coming...

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    "Knuckles Ring Star" -> "Star Ring Knuckles" -> "Starring Knuckles"

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to be noticing a lot of absurd things like this :P

2. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Yap, that is the earliest build he has, if I'm not wrong.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    After seeing the Sonic Crackers title screen and ROM title, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original reasoning behind it.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Very nice deduction, that hadn't even occured to me. Kudos to you sir!

5. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Mind status: blown. Nice find :P

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Wow, that's the stupidest thing I saw in a game. I don't say you're wrong, but that the developers... Well... Somebody was bored or something :P

By the way, about the fact that third party games are in a SoA archive, here goes an aclaration: all games had to be sent to Sega in order to approval. This was required for the game to be released. Sega not only made sure the game was good enough and followed their standards, but also they made sure the game didn't try anything stupid internally. This is specially true for the Sega CD, where messing with the wrong IRQs is likely to cause the BIOS go gay and hence the CD drive to jam up. If a game did something that can be potentially dangerous for the hardware, the game didn't recieve approval. So watch out. Also games using hardware debug stuff (like using the LEDs from the Sega CD or the refresh signal from the Mega Drive used for the DRAM devcarts) didn't recieve approval.

Does that make things clear?

7. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Don't forget things like "Sonic Studium" and other dumb puns they usually stuck into the ROM header during development. It wouldn't suprise me if it was mostly just an internal joke.

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    It's yet doubtful if Sonic Studium was just a mistake.

Nothing beats that joke :P I love when you put jokes inside a program and then your boss comes and takes it for release to some magazine or something like that without giving you time to remove the joke. Then is when the joke becomes even more ridiculous XD

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Wait, what's the significance of "studium" and "crackers" again?

10. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Seconded; I'm missing how that's a pun.

11. I don't follow the technical stuff much, but I think the ROM header for Sonic Crackers reads as "Sonic Studium", while the title screen reads "Sonic Crackers".

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Some games had really stupid stuff in the header in their prototype states. Can't remember any off hand but I'm sure there's a famous one witha fighting game or something...

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    "Jean Claude Crayon dans la zone comique" comes to mind...

14. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    wow,that's funny XD I never thought of that before.

15. Not quite a beta or in the header but this is funny from SOR3

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    "She is my son"?

17. Franz

Franz

ALL OF THE LIGHTS Member
    Crazy japs and their engrish. Those kind of things can mean anything or nothing at all.

But personally, the most exciting thing about those protos is the chaotix part, I wonder if we can see exactly when the map thing seen in crackers was dropped. Because that rendering on the jap manual and this new title screen could surely work as a species of map like crackers, substituting the level select thingy.

And major kudos to drx, of course!

18. SpinelSun

SpinelSun

Oldbie
    It IS a mistake. Studium is a very common misspelling of Stadium among japanese. It has to do with how Stadium is pronounced/spelled in japanese, ????? the "stad-" ends up sounding like the english word "stud" .
    To confuse things, Studium is a real word, old word for university, means place of study or some shit. (latin?)

Another common mispelling that comes to mind is Yummy (???) being spelled Yammy. There is even a couple japanese brand names that use the incorrect spelling Yammy in their logos... :P

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Nice to see some technical reasoning behind it.

Another example of this is the DAC "Lets Go" sample, also in Crackers. It sounds like "Retsu Go", again due to Kanji/pronunciation issues.

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie

wouldn't ?? sound more like "sta" than "stu"? SU-TA.